Can't pass class 2

Hi
I have failed my class 2 practical 3 times
I am with a small one man show.
I am not a nervous wreck doing the test but I get a little on edge turning tight corners and a few other things I am not good at eg. Lifting my clutch up on a hill start .
One thing I am always doing wrong is choosing the wrong lane at roundabouts. I cannot always remember which lane I should be in for a particular exit. Is there any formula or trick based on number of lanes on starting road number of lanes on roundabout and number of exits that I could use that may help me aim for the correct lane.
Would it be serious fault if I exit roundabout using the right hand lane?
Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Lifting my clutch up on a hill start .
One thing I am always doing wrong is choosing the wrong lane at roundabouts. I cannot always remember which lane I should be in for a particular exit. Is there any formula or trick based on number of lanes on starting road number of lanes on roundabout and number of exits that I could use that may help me aim for the correct lane.
Would it be serious fault if I exit roundabout using the right hand lane?
Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Ok. Let’s start at the beginning. Hill start. So you’re using a manual. Try leaving the gas pedal alone. In a low gear, gently raise the clutch to biting point (you’ll hear it and feel it). Immediately release your park brake. Nothing will happen. The vehicle will just sit there and not go forwards or backwards - more importantly. Now gently increase the revs and equally gently engage the clutch. But not all at once! When I was teaching on manuals I regularly used to get folks who had any issue to get used to holding it on the clutch for a short while with the brake released. The biggest problem, normally, is trying to engage the clutch with the park brake still applied. Also releasing the brake too slowly. It needs to go straight off - no messing. That should help the hill start issue.

Roundabouts. You refer to multiple lanes. These will normally have a sign in good time telling you what direction each lane is designated for. This is then backed up by road markings. But a less complex roundabout has very simple rules (and, without being sarcastic, all this can be found in the Highway Code). Turning left, first exit, left lane on the approach and stay in it until you’re on the new road. Straight ahead is best in the left lane, stay in it until you’re on the new road. But no reason, generally, why you shouldn’t use the right lane (unless it’s marked right turn only) in which case you should leave in the right lane. The clever bit is then moving back to the left lane without upsetting anyone. Difficult and is the cause of distress on many a driving test. So ask yourself why you did it in the right lane to start with. Turning right (normally described as after 12 o’clock or 1 o’clock) is generally right lane on approach. When you cant go down the exit before the one you want (note: when you cant go down - - NOT when you’ve passed the junction before the one you want), loads of left mirror to ensure it’s safe, left signal and move to your left promptly but without swerving. If impossible to move left safely, still signal and leave in the right hand lane. But the problem remains as to how you move back safely to the left lane. Sometime the right lane dwindles to nothing in a very short distance. So avoid this if at all possible.

Hope this helps. Your alternative is to move trainer/area to a trainer with an auto in an area with few roundabouts and NO multi-lane roundabouts. The link to my website is below and we have an Open Day tomorrow with some good offers.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Have you tried to do the test area roads in your car with the interior mirror turned away from you :question:

Get your licence passed in an auto. Learn gearboxes when you haven’t got the money or pressure riding on it.

Jimmy McNulty:
Get your licence passed in an auto. Learn gearboxes when you haven’t got the money or pressure riding on it.

I’d second that. I much prefer the splitter box (but Scania - DAF I found were poor).

I agree with the learning in an auto. If your concentrating on getting the gears right your not able to fully focus on the rest of it.
I’d of never passed in the LHD manual I got my class2 for so went the auto route then learnt on the job, with much gear crunching.

I’m really sorry bud! But your asking questions of somebody that has not even got there car license they are pre newbie question.
First you have your car license but you don’t know what lane on roundabout. You should know this . < That’s a full stop there.
When driving a truck you should be planning in advance so you should at least have worked it out on seeing the sign on approach.

Gears I see people advising to go auto. I think in an auto you will go charging up to a roundabout Junction too quickly and plan even less.
IMO planning your gears on approach to junction/ roundabouts and 90 degree turns should be giving you time to place your truck in the right place.
In my really honest opinion————- ——————stop spend your money on other training if your still making these mistakes now 3 failed tests on then STOP. If your naturally Not good at forward planing at this stage added to not even being able to pull a away with a half full truck. A fully loaded truck with loose cages unstraped pallets is even harder.

As a newbie I told myself when going for a driving assessment or in training if I could not come up to the Mark then I would walk away.
That’s my advice to you sorry.

6 replies,and not 1 from a cynic.
world record for a troll.
if on the remote chance its a serious question,then heres your best option for the future.
people.mcdonalds.co.uk/job-search

dieseldog999:
if on the remote chance its a serious question,then heres your best option for the future.

Perhaps a better option would be a car advanced driving course before continuing with LGV :bulb: :bulb:

i suppose it may well be if its a genuine post and your as incompetent as that.
another option would be possibly 14 tins of stella,a couple of mogadon or at least something from the doc to calm the nerves a tad if its the nerves thats scrambling his brains.
the other option to the cynical mind would be the banning of multiple accounts…but thats me just being cynical again… :slight_smile:

ROG:

dieseldog999:

Perhaps a better option would be a car advanced driving course before continuing with LGV :bulb: :bulb:

Advance driving woah :frowning: I was actually going to suggest giving up his license as he can’t drive.
I get his instructor is happy to take the cash but when do they say sorry buddy but.

RayW:

ROG:

dieseldog999:

Advance driving woah :frowning: I was actually going to suggest giving up his license as he can’t drive.
I get his instructor is happy to take the cash but when do they say sorry buddy but.

Ha passed the basic car test …

ROG:

RayW:

ROG:

dieseldog999:

Ha passed the basic car test …

Basics :open_mouth: Can’t change gear don’t know what lane to use.
After 3 attempts Even with a Car license he probably shouldn’t be driving a truck.

Shaking my head in disbelief! You either lack the basic basics… or, stop feeding the troll

dieseldog999:

Actually I read this thread before anyone had commented. Assumed it simply must be a troll post and decided to stay silent.

It’s too daft for words. The gears thing I could understand but the roundabout thing gives it away.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Trust me, these problems are not unusual. Ok, if it’s a troll I fell for it. But I’ve no reason to believe that. Just someone who has fallen into bad habits and perhaps hasn’t had the best training for CAT C.

If everyone who presented themselves for CAT C really did know the rules of roadcraft I wouldn’t have to teach the basics on a regular basis.

Just my thoughts, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Trust me, these problems are not unusual. Ok, if it’s a troll I fell for it. But I’ve no reason to believe that. Just someone who has fallen into bad habits and perhaps hasn’t had the best training for CAT C.

If everyone who presented themselves for CAT C really did know the rules of roadcraft I wouldn’t have to teach the basics on a regular basis.

Just my thoughts, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I had exactly the same from a few trainees when I was instructing - they could negotiate a roundabout in a car as it was easy to rectify if they got the wrong lane but as we know it is not easy to rectify in a LGV !

To second what other have said, passed with most minors for gears on cat C (manual) but nothing for gears on C+E (auto).

Make life easy for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thank you very much Pete for your very useful and comprehensive reply. I think the instructor did say something about releasing the handbrake but he may have not mentioned the obvious pre-condition that I should be at biting point. I have been trying to push vehicle against the handbrake on tests and this resulted n 4 stalls at traffic lights on my last test.
At roundabouts apart from a sign with a diagram of place names/exits and the road markings (which can be covered by vehicles queing) It’s not always obvious which lane I should take. Sometimes the left lane becomes left and middle and sometimes the right lane becomes right and middle. Some roundbaouts around Yeading test station can have 5 or more exits. I will have a look at the Highway code and take a look at google maps and make some notes.
Being on edge, not wanting to make a mistake, along with lack of confidence with the vehicle and also being anxious about avoiding the kerb compounds problems and nerves. Now that you have told me that I maybe able to exit in right lane I will try to worry a little less if I am one lane out.
Looking back I wish I had taken the Auto route. I have more than enough to worry about and then The gears/clutch are thrown in.
Do you have many tight roads and junctions around your way Pete?
This is real post. I hate to admit it but i am not the best of learners and I should have chosen a better instructor taking that into consideration. However I never thought of myself as a bad driver but who does?

Do you have many tight roads and junctions around your way Pete?

There’s some. But very rarely a problem. This is partly because we use “puddle jumpers” just over 8m long and partly because we train folks in how to steer properly.

We have NO multilane roundabouts.

I maybe able to exit in right lane

Remember, this only applies if the road markings say so OR if it’s 2 lanes going straight ahead and there are 2 lanes leaving the roundabout. But be very aware of the perils of returning to the left lane if you use this option. It’s not generally recommended.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: