Experience

Anybody on this fourm know if its possible to get my foot in the door with no experience of hgv work passed test 7 months ago and nobody wants to know without 2 years experience iam 55 is it possible to get work uk mainland it is tottally impossible here in n.ireland i have applyed for close to 60 jobs in last 6 months with no reply …no wise cracks lads morale is very low at the moment i passed both cat c+e cheers lads…

When I started out, I had a previous job for 5 years as a forklift driver on my cv. The company had gone bust, so I just changed my job title to 7.5 driver. I got the next job I applied for. I had a friend in the same boat. He rewrote his cv to say that he had worked at my old place, it worked.

I’ve gone from a catering job straight into class 2 work only a month after getting my licence. That’s full time with a firm. I’ve not tried agency, have you considered agency work?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nolans ? They take anyone I hear ?Or try local councils or waste firms ?
Have to say it can get soul destroying especially after you read the shortage B.S .
Keep your head up pal .

When you say “Applied” do you mean just sending off C.V’s and/or filling out job applications online? If so that’s a big part of your problem right there.

The only way you’ll find work is knocking on doors and trying to see the people that count, (not the nice lass on reception or the overly harassed planner with three phones ringing and two others stuck to each ear but the guy who actually decides to take drivers on whether that’s the Boss or a transport manager).

Ask to speak to the right people or advise you when best to catch the right people, put in the legwork make yourself presentable (smart casual but have steel toe cap boots and hi-viz vest in your boot ready if needed) dish out the right attitude (confidence in your abilities, polite and willing to listen) and providing there’s work available you’ll soon hook yourself job.

Reef:
When you say “Applied” do you mean just sending off C.V’s and/or filling out job applications online? If so that’s a big part of your problem right there.

The only way you’ll find work is knocking on doors and trying to see the people that count, (not the nice lass on reception or the overly harassed planner with three phones ringing and two others stuck to each ear but the guy who actually decides to take drivers on whether that’s the Boss or a transport manager).

Ask to speak to the right people or advise you when best to catch the right people, put in the legwork make yourself presentable (smart casual but have steel toe cap boots and hi-viz vest in your boot ready if needed) dish out the right attitude (confidence in your abilities, polite and willing to listen) and providing there’s work available you’ll soon hook yourself job.

That surely depends on the size of company. Filling in the online application is how I got my driving job. I would imagine the big firms, those with HR departments, don’t really deal with people showing up on spec. But I can imagine smaller firms it being ideal way to get in.

I have only sent CV’s etc off or filled out applications … was pretty much offered a job over the phone today a week after passing my c+e however it was tramping, i’m looking for days.

Any suggestions for companies to contact in the West Yorkshire (or nearby) area for a new driver? Thread hijack over.

Jimmy McNulty:
I have only sent CV’s etc off or filled out applications … was pretty much offered a job over the phone today a week after passing my c+e however it was tramping, i’m looking for days.

Any suggestions for companies to contact in the West Yorkshire (or nearby) area for a new driver? Thread hijack over.

I come from a small seaside town the major city is 60 mls away and other city is 40 mls away so my catchment isnt very good …local operators can choose from experienced drivers…maybe i might need some more training forklift or somthing . .will kep on applying for everything i can …

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Pickle55:

Jimmy McNulty:

I come from a small seaside town the major city is 60 mls away and other city is 40 mls away so my catchment isnt very good …local operators can choose from experienced drivers…maybe i might need some more training forklift or somthing . .will kep on applying for everything i can …

Are their agencies in your area? If so, get signed up and see what they offer you. It may not be ideal but it’s drive time logged on your tacho and gives you some experience.

I found work with an agency in August with no experience, turned out it was temp to perm and went on the books in November.

IronEddie:
I’ve gone from a catering job straight into class 2 work only a month after getting my licence. That’s full time with a firm. I’ve not tried agency, have you considered agency work?

How are you getting on with that job ironEddie ?

I saw one of your lorries the other day on the A1 and that’s what made me think if you were still there and how you were getting on.

I remembered your storey of you been in a job you didn’t care much about and wanted to get into class 2 driving right up to you saying you had an interview with said company and then saying you got the job.

Well-Jell:

IronEddie:

I saw one of your lorries the other day on the A1 and that’s what made me think if you were still there and how you were getting on.

I remembered your storey of you been in a job you didn’t care much about and wanted to get into class 2 driving right up to you saying you had an interview with said company and then saying you got the job.

Bad week this week not made it home in time for tea once.

Overall good though. I enjoy the driving and the delivering is mostly good to. Lot less ■■■■■■■■ customers than in my last job.

I’ve had a few clangers but seems to be how you learn.

My current feeling is that I made the right career move into lorry driving. I’m on better money and have weekends to spend with my wife and child. My only niggle is that my weekday work life balance isn’t right. Knew that it might be an issue going in. But still something I’m trying to make work a little better

rabb:

Pickle55:

Jimmy McNulty:

Are their agencies in your area? If so, get signed up and see what they offer you. It may not be ideal but it’s drive time logged on your tacho and gives you some experience.

Cheers will do jimmy

IronEddie:

Well-Jell:

IronEddie:

Well it sounds like you have made the right move and it’sgoing well for you.

Just get your experience and then look around.

Don’tbe fooled by what you hear " there is no monday to friday 9 to 5 lorry driving jobs out there ".

They do exist, i landed myself one, and it’s the best job I’ve ever had and am loving it, only down side is it’s farther away from home than I’d like ( 15 miles )

Bad week this week not made it home in time for tea once.

Overall good though. I enjoy the driving and the delivering is mostly good to. Lot less [zb] customers than in my last job.

I’ve had a few clangers but seems to be how you learn.

My current feeling is that I made the right career move into lorry driving. I’m on better money and have weekends to spend with my wife and child. My only niggle is that my weekday work life balance isn’t right. Knew that it might be an issue going in. But still something I’m trying to make work a little better