Is it down to location, location, location?

Hello all,

I passed my Class 2 last summer and started the job-hunt.

To begin with, I applied for jobs on sites such as ‘Indeed’ and ‘Monster’ etc but most of the roles stated that they required experience but I didn’t let that put me off. I got the odd email back saying that I hadn’t been selected for interview/assessment but in most cases I got no reply at all. So, after reading the advice for ‘newbies’ on here I decided to print off my CV, pack my hi-viz, jump in my car and visit local companies in person. Given that I live in Newcastle, I had plenty of companies close-by to choose from so I knocked on the doors of:

Murray Hogg
Ramage
Thompsons
R&R Hands
Warburtons
Owen Pugh
Quayside
Breedon
McFarlane

The TM’s I met were grand but none of them had any imminent vacancies - some even suggested other firms I could try.

Whilst visiting extended family in Kent (Ashford area) before Christmas I was talking to a few folk who said that there a plenty of jobs going in the south and lack of LGV experience isn’t a problem at all??

So, does location play a huge factor in where the jobs are, and has anyone else come across similar problems looking for roles in the Newcastle/NE region?

I just want to add, I did register with 2 agencies - one of which was a complete joke but the other did try and source work. Ideally, I’d like to find the work myself.

Any hints or tips gladly accepted.

Thank you.

I think so yes,areas where there has been mass job loss over the years where production areas were famous for has disappeared are now seemingly over run with hgv drivers…probabaly because after redundancies took place job centres offered the unemployed re training to find new work with a lot opting for the hgv licence route.
My mate got his licence paid for through the job centre a few years ago when his place shut down at the cost of 500 Jobs,plenty took the paid re training thy was offered.
Another friend is an experienced class one driver who doesn’t like to stay in one place for too long so stays on agency but his phone hasn’t rang since the week before xmas and he is now applying for full time jobs.
Let’s face it,HGV driver is quite possibly one of very few jobs that you can become qualified to do the job in under a week so it’s a very easy route to a job that in most places pays higher than minimum wage.

I certainly agree with your statement regarding Kent. The area is used as a base for a considerable number of companies that deliver unto London.

Off the top of my head you have depots for:
Warburtons
Bidvest
Brakes
Kent frozen foods
Lehman storage
Booker
One stop
Lehman storage

Hubs for:

Tesco’s
Morrisons
Sainsbury’s
Asda
Waitrose
Lidl

I’m sure there are many more

Yes, it is down to location. I am fortunate to have several large business industrial estates on my doorstep, so I can pretty much take my pick.

xichrisxi:
I think so yes,areas where there has been mass job loss over the years where production areas were famous for has disappeared are now seemingly over run with hgv drivers…probabaly because after redundancies took place job centres offered the unemployed re training to find new work with a lot opting for the hgv licence route.
My mate got his licence paid for through the job centre a few years ago when his place shut down at the cost of 500 Jobs,plenty took the paid re training thy was offered.
Another friend is an experienced class one driver who doesn’t like to stay in one place for too long so stays on agency but his phone hasn’t rang since the week before xmas and he is now applying for full time jobs.
Let’s face it,HGV driver is quite possibly one of very few jobs that you can become qualified to do the job in under a week so it’s a very easy route to a job that in most places pays higher than minimum wage.

Takes longer than a week lol. The practical sure but including medical, theory tests etc it’s a few months to get your licence.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

People do hgv because it’s an easy option

IronEddie:

xichrisxi:

Takes longer than a week lol. The practical sure but including medical, theory tests etc it’s a few months to get your licence.

If planned ahead you could get it done in a week but I see your point,on the greater scheme of things it’s a very easy “trade” to get into,even to gain a qualification in slapping a bit of paint in a wall takes a year ffs

xichrisxi:

IronEddie:

xichrisxi:

If planned ahead you could get it done in a week but I see your point,on the greater scheme of things it’s a very easy “trade” to get into,even to gain a qualification in slapping a bit of paint in a wall takes a year ffs

I think we’ll disagree on timescales. But I take your point it is a relatively fast and cheap industry to train into.

IronEddie:

xichrisxi:

IronEddie:

xichrisxi:

I think we’ll disagree on timescales. But I take your point it is a relatively fast and cheap industry to train into.

I think the point is that even for a year at college you enrol months in advance and have forms and meetings to attend.

I think hgv is probably the cheapest/fastest/earning potential industry to get into. Even if you go to college for a year to be a plumber for example (no idea how long it takes) you are usually on a low paid work placement as part of it so have to factor “lost” earnings in.

Personally I did my prep and then 2 1 week holidays for my training. I did retests on my day off. I can’t think of many other ways to earn what I do now that quickly

Yes it does depend on location for work as not a lot up here now

Owen Pugh as you know went into liquidation not long ago

Depends where in the Newcastle area you are as you could try

SP Logistics in Cramlington ( Steve Partick ) he does take on new drivers but will also train you up from cat C

DTS Carmlington they have Cat C as well as CE

Moody Cramlington

Pollocks Blyth

Fresh Freight

SR Transport Washington

Francis Transport Washington

Remind me to give you a couple decent agencies later

CBS ( agencie ) 07801457527

Bidvest 3663 Bidfood or what they called now Felling by pass

Mann Gateshead

Port of Tyne

Simpson Drum industrial est

Many thanks for the replies folks, and ‘animal’ thank you for the pointers - it’s much appreciated!

I didn’t think I’d walk into a job straight away but I am down-heartened by how really difficult it is to secure anything. I honestly believe that there’s something awry about the NE area in general and jobs - and I’ve lived in Newcastle all of my life! We seem to be that strange bit of land north of Leeds that fills in the gap up to the Scottish Border, and politicians & government don’t give a stuff. Anyway, enough of that, I’m rambling like a mad-man.

I’ll continue my quest and I’ll keep you posted.

Kind regards,

I’ll be starting my job hunt next month in the Northumberland / Newcastle area as well, would be interested to see what luck you do have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbaz73:

That’s probably what some think until they get threw the keys for an 18 or 26 tonner with 10/20 drops around estates, main streets etc with a [zb] load of paperwork to fill in and told not to be late for delivery times :laughing:

Tommy7437:

jbaz73:

That’s probably what some think until they get threw the keys for an 18 or 26 tonner with 10/20 drops around estates, main streets etc with a s@@t load of paperwork to fill in and told not to be late for delivery times :laughing:

And then those boys become men and get to do the above in a class one :smiley:

OSE are after drivers based in Gateshead you will have the choice of doing local, UK & European work

Jeff 07989398292