Good time to go on agency?

Starting to get annoyed of doing bulk rounds without a tail lift (60% of the drops are pallets). e.g. a 500kg pallet to lakeside shopping centre top floor food court. Had to break the pallet down on the truck and make up two individual pallets on the ground then try and get the pump up off of the truck.
I now have class 1 experience just shy of a year; would it be a good time to go agency or should I wait to February/March?

Good time to go on agency? Never
Is the grass greener elsewhere? Probably
At this time of year, I would only jump ship for a permanent gig

Hi Adam,
is there no Stobart or other companies near you who take on drivers or have offers for permanent gigs?

All I’m saying is may be work for example Stobarts for a few month > get more expierience > it’s spring by than > meaning probably more job offers/agency work

I don’t know how desperate you are. Stobarts is only an idea because they always look for drivers but I can well understand if you don’t want to work for them.

In my eyes still better than doing bulk rounds without tail lift.

Good Luck anyway

Hi Adam, my mistake… are you working for tuffnells? I seem to remember you saying that. Maybe the grass is greener elsewhere. They do like their pound of flesh out of people. If I get ■■■■■■ off, I jump ship to an agency while I find my feet, and the same goes for my current job, but I am happy there… for now. But I digress

Look on indeed, that will give you a measure of the work in your area. In my area, there has been no post Xmas lull, so you may be in luck.

As for the pallet truck? Just roll the bugger out of the back, if if breaks it breaks.

Seriously dude, tuffnells is about as bad as it gets, whatever you jump to will be better, so I say go for it, you only live once and life’s too short to be stuck in a job you hate.

Most jobs on Indeed are fake Especially in January and February .All they want is details for the books .In my opinion,Stay with the job you have until March .

Are you in Essex? I googled lakeside, then I looked online and there seems to be work in your area. I know from experience that the green cancer stay local. Class 1 work isn’t hard to come by, have a look around. I found tuffnells by a long way the worst job I ever had.

jbaz73:
Good time to go on agency? Never…

Well said!

Original poster - what on earth are you thinking? Agencies are utter cowboys tell you lies, every job is temp-to-perm but never is, blacklist you if they decide they don’t like you. Oh yes don’t forget… will you get paid (I’ve had it twice now). The only professional representation is the REC (Recruitment Employment Confederation) if they are a member (unlikely).

I’ve been driving almost three years now - clean licence, experience in 7.5T, 14T, 16T, 26T, 8W and dustcart. Mostly pallet freight, multi-drop home deliveries, refrigeration. Some of those jobs from agency and when a firm needed cover (that is the only time with an agency you may strike lucky to get experience like for me with dustcarts). Otherwise if you haven’t got the experience you will not be considered. Agencies have got no idea of the industry and simply obey whatever an employer says. The #1 question they ask “have you got CPC” - total ignorance of the law (it surprises me that some folk are unaware the driver HAS TO carry their CPC card at all times.

Seems the ethos of many years of “Go Freelance” that has been prevalent in the country is not going to end. Hence why so many immigrants come here and fill “skills shortages”. Employers don’t believe in training. They turn to agencies to recruit - simply a vicious circle which does no one any favours.

Best career advice I can give is work for a large company. i.e. in pallet freight one can start on 7.5T (as I did with grandfather rights), rigid and then move onto the artic haulage side (trunking, tramping, bulk haulage, tanks). Some artic drivers prefer to go back to doing rigid as they get overtime, no tramping as a day job. But can cover artic work when there is a shortage due to illness. Such companies offer flexibility and ADR with staff shortages or illnesses and all seems to work well.

For my sins I moved to Lincolnshire where driving is minimum wage (a mistake but I had to move from my late mother’s house in Suffolk and took what was available with vacant possession). Predominantly artic work supporting agriculture - £8 per hour. I have been trying to get the money together to do Class 1 but not easy. I’ve got to take in a couple of lodgers to now clear my debts from periods without agency work. Most jobs are now agency; employers cut down on CPC costs, bank holidays, staff training, insurance (don’t forget the agency will now reduce your own vehicle no claims… this is only recent - look at your terms if you are with DriverHire).

Most Class 2 work is 30 mile away for me (Peterborough, Newark, Lincoln) but it’s a bit far and employers prefer folk local. So i am trying to get a Class 2 tramping job which would cut down my travel-to-work costs. I am trying to see if I can get the £600 for ADR or HIAB to get work. It’s not easy so if anyone has any ideas/advice - I’d be very grateful.

What I should have mentioned is that a lot of agencies now use mobile phone messages to contact you about a job! But they have also contacted umpteen others with the same message… and when one phones in surprise, surprise - the job’s gone.

I had a call a few weeks ago at 1900 from an agency that hadn’t given me any work for a year. Wanted me to go to a company I had worked for before for a single day. It happened I had an interview the next day and then can you believe it expected me to cancel the interview for a permanent job - to do a single day’s work for them. As I have learnt you don’t get any work if you don’t “run-and-jump”.

I didn’t mean to sound harsh earlier but I am shortly facing re-possession if I don’t get lodgers in. If you have a permanent job then look for another from that position. Once you take agency work I think it is fair to say that one has the stigma of ‘crap’ because you can’t get a permanent job.

jessejazza:

jbaz73:
Good time to go on agency? Never…

Well said!

Original poster - what on earth are you thinking? Agencies are utter cowboys tell you lies, every job is temp-to-perm but never is, blacklist you if they decide they don’t like you. Oh yes don’t forget… will you get paid (I’ve had it twice now). The only professional representation is the REC (Recruitment Employment Confederation) if they are a member (unlikely).

I’ve been driving almost three years now - clean licence, experience in 7.5T, 14T, 16T, 26T, 8W and dustcart. Mostly pallet freight, multi-drop home deliveries, refrigeration. Some of those jobs from agency and when a firm needed cover (that is the only time with an agency you may strike lucky to get experience like for me with dustcarts). Otherwise if you haven’t got the experience you will not be considered. Agencies have got no idea of the industry and simply obey whatever an employer says. The #1 question they ask “have you got CPC” - total ignorance of the law (it surprises me that some folk are unaware the driver HAS TO carry their CPC card at all times.

Seems the ethos of many years of “Go Freelance” that has been prevalent in the country is not going to end. Hence why so many immigrants come here and fill “skills shortages”. Employers don’t believe in training. They turn to agencies to recruit - simply a vicious circle which does no one any favours.

Best career advice I can give is work for a large company. i.e. in pallet freight one can start on 7.5T (as I did with grandfather rights), rigid and then move onto the artic haulage side (trunking, tramping, bulk haulage, tanks). Some artic drivers prefer to go back to doing rigid as they get overtime, no tramping as a day job. But can cover artic work when there is a shortage due to illness. Such companies offer flexibility and ADR with staff shortages or illnesses and all seems to work well.

For my sins I moved to Lincolnshire where driving is minimum wage (a mistake but I had to move from my late mother’s house in Suffolk and took what was available with vacant possession). Predominantly artic work supporting agriculture - £8 per hour. I have been trying to get the money together to do Class 1 but not easy. I’ve got to take in a couple of lodgers to now clear my debts from periods without agency work. Most jobs are now agency; employers cut down on CPC costs, bank holidays, staff training, insurance (don’t forget the agency will now reduce your own vehicle no claims… this is only recent - look at your terms if you are with DriverHire).

Most Class 2 work is 30 mile away for me (Peterborough, Newark, Lincoln) but it’s a bit far and employers prefer folk local. So i am trying to get a Class 2 tramping job which would cut down my travel-to-work costs. I am trying to see if I can get the £600 for ADR or HIAB to get work. It’s not easy so if anyone has any ideas/advice - I’d be very grateful.

It sounds like you live in the same area as me. As you say there is very little class 2 work round here.

My advice would be use your deposit and advance rent from lodgers to get your class 1 as you will easily get a start round here. Not the greatest money but regular income and experience.

The offer of finance from PSTT might be useful to you

I can get the £600 for ADR

£450 all in with me (Trucknet rate)

CE is £550 deposit (£200 on booking, £350 2 weeks before start of training) followed by 10 payments of £100. No credit checks, no questions asked. But please make sure you can afford it before taking it on.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

I can get the £600 for ADR

£450 all in with me (Trucknet rate)

CE is £550 deposit (£200 on booking, £350 2 weeks before start of training) followed by 10 payments of £100. No credit checks, no questions asked. But please make sure you can afford it before taking it on…

I am hoping as of yesterday that I can do the HIAB after talking to a helpful soul and may transpire after interview tomorrow morning. Peter I knew you didn’t do HIAB and thanks for letting me know about your ADR price. £600 tends to be a rough guide for either course and that is why I quoted it. HIAB “initial” course very few schools do as they have to have the kit whereas the refresher course is no problem i.e. the instructor goes to the firm and uses their vehicle.

The CE course “£550 etc…” is very generous and would have suited me whilst I was in my last job. Still not heard from them which I think is outrageous. I could have booked and then done the course on my leave after 2-3 months and been confident of paying the payments without embarrassment. Although I’d prefer to pay lump sum and additional “pass protection” for peace of mind.

But I’d feel far more confident approaching Class 1 from a job even if only a fairly consistent agency job with the extra cash from two lodgers which I’ve advertised for now. Only got £3.62 to last me until Wed. I’ve still got a problem trying to get through the first couple of weeks starting a job before pay day. Between now and then I’ll have a couple of day’s fasting when food runs out (hopefully two remote servos and carbs on ebay will give me some cash before then!).

I feel your pain mate. I hope something turns up for you soon. Have you thought of casting your net a little further? Maybe a tramping job? It’s easier on class one but there are jobs on class two. Have you tried your local couriers? They always seem to be taking on? There’s plenty of work around on multi drop and home delivery

Back to the op. Have you made any decisions? I’m looking myself, there is plenty of work around, but it’s bottom of the barrel stuff. I’m going to give it a couple of months and if I don’t find permanent work, it will be agency time! I know that I don’t want 40+ multi drop or likewise home delivery. I’m too old for all that. I don’t mind a dozen or so multi drop, but I am more so looking for trunking.

I went for an interview yesterday. Delivering gas cylinders nationwide. When I got there, it had all changed. It was driving, yes, but also reach driving in the warehouse, in fact, more so warehouse work than actual driving. I thought “ok, it’s not ideal, but I can live with that” but the warehouse is tiny! And it has a window to the office, you won’t get away with anything! You would have to work hard all day :imp:

Also, even though it’s a reach, I would be outside 90% of the day… you will get drenched! The part of the day that you’re inside, you will be filling bottles, which weigh up to 90kg when full. So it’s a heavy job.

So let’s recap, I would occasionally be doing some driving, I would be getting soaked on a reach truck and going to the gym. All while being spied on all day. You will work hard consistently. There are no set hours (fine when driving) but in a warehouse I want to know when I start and when I finish.

All things considered, I’ve decided to stay where I am and continue my search elsewhere.

Keeping my eye open for a job I might like but sticking with my current lot atm.
I’m preparing myself for agency work though by putting money to one side.

jbaz73:
I feel your pain mate. I hope something turns up for you soon. Have you thought of casting your net a little further? Maybe a tramping job? It’s easier on class one but there are jobs on class two. Have you tried your local couriers? They always seem to be taking on? There’s plenty of work around on multi drop and home delivery

It’s the tramping that I have been trying to hunt for. One sees so many Class 2 in lay-bys but not so easy to find firms that do. Couriers are a good idea and if anyone else has any other ideas please let me know.

adam277:
Starting to get annoyed of doing bulk rounds without a tail lift (60% of the drops are pallets). e.g. a 500kg pallet to lakeside shopping centre top floor food court. Had to break the pallet down on the truck and make up two individual pallets on the ground then try and get the pump up off of the truck.
I now have class 1 experience just shy of a year; would it be a good time to go agency or should I wait to February/March?

No mate it’s not a good time! I’d be waiting until June before giving up a permanent job an in the meantime I’d be doing my utmost to get another permanent job. Told ya Tuffnells were ■■■■! :grimacing:

Agencies promise the world yet deliver little. They make it out the employer will take on new passes / little experience just to get you on their books just if an employer is desperate and will call you.

At our place the bosses hired a receptionist through an agency which I saw the invoice. We were paying £13 per hour yet the girl was only getting paid £7.50 per hour via the agency. So how much are the agencies raking in … Truth is companies only use agencies for short term work, uncertainty will be always there as you may get a call mid way through say a 3 week assignment to say the employer has ended it. No work, no pay.

No way would I say give up a permanent job to go on agencies to get more experience. I’d rather take a min wage job driving to get the experience than risk it with the agencies.

Bafferty:
Agencies promise the world yet deliver little. They make it out the employer will take on new passes / little experience just to get you on their books just if an employer is desperate and will call you.

At our place the bosses hired a receptionist through an agency which I saw the invoice. We were paying £13 per hour yet the girl was only getting paid £7.50 per hour via the agency. So how much are the agencies raking in … Truth is companies only use agencies for short term work, uncertainty will be always there as you may get a call mid way through say a 3 week assignment to say the employer has ended it. No work, no pay.

No way would I say give up a permanent job to go on agencies to get more experience. I’d rather take a min wage job driving to get the experience than risk it with the agencies.

That has been the opposite of my experience with agencies. Many said no we won’t take you on not enough experience. And the two I did sign up with said it was slow and that some companies won’t take on new passes. Both left the impression that I could sign but not to expect much work. Since then I have had as much work as I’ve wanted. In fact, I’ve had to turn it down.

If you are reliant on the income obviously full-time employment is preferable. But as an agency driver I’ve been able to experience a range of types of work and am able to work out what I like and don’t like. So far there is no type of driving I’d refuse to do. There is one company I wouldn’t go back to though.

Agencies are not the devils some people make them out to be. You need to realise they will look after themselves and do the same. But in terms of gaining experience, I think they have a lot to offer.

sammym:
That has been the opposite of my experience with agencies. Many said no we won’t take you on not enough experience. And the two I did sign up with said it was slow and that some companies won’t take on new passes. Both left the impression that I could sign but not to expect much work. Since then I have had as much work as I’ve wanted. In fact, I’ve had to turn it down.

If you are reliant on the income obviously full-time employment is preferable. But as an agency driver I’ve been able to experience a range of types of work and am able to work out what I like and don’t like. So far there is no type of driving I’d refuse to do. There is one company I wouldn’t go back to though.

Agencies are not the devils some people make them out to be. You need to realise they will look after themselves and do the same. But in terms of gaining experience, I think they have a lot to offer.

will there ever be an end to this multiple user account complete drivvle?
or
is there anyone that thinks this is genuine ?

Tuffnells is crap! I did 6 months with them, then I quit to go agency. This was in February 16. I worked for several at once and was kept pretty busy. I was a lot better of for £ and kept it that way until I fancied another permanent job.

With your class one experience you should have no problems and should be a lot better off for quality of work.

The next day after I passed class one, tuffnells put me in an a frame. I had to drop the drag, do 40 drops in the wagon, then pick up the drag and drive back. It took me three weeks to decide it wasn’t for me! Your experience sounds similar to mine. At the moment I am a shunter on just over 14 per hour, but due to company takeover and big changes in the pipeline I am looking for something else. And if I don’t find something soon, I won’t hesitate to go agency