Hours

Hi all. Struggling with my breaks. Here is an example of today. I put my card in at 0700 and did my daily checks and routed my run then went on to scan parcels and load them. Went on to unload a trunk and left the depot at 0845 to do some deliveries. Got back to the depot at 10am, had a 45 min break. Then loaded the parcels that my workmates had scanned whilst I was out and unloaded another trunk. Left the depot at 1115. Took a 15 min break at 1245 whilst I waited on a customer coming back from lunch. Did more deliveries up until 1455 and this is where I’m confused, took a 30 min break, did I need to take the last break?? Made a collection and returned to the depot for 1615. Other work until 1635 and then removed my card. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Craig14:
Hi all. Struggling with my breaks. Here is an example of today. I put my card in at 0700 and did my daily checks and routed my run then went on to scan parcels and load them. Went on to unload a trunk and left the depot at 0845 to do some deliveries. Got back to the depot at 10am, had a 45 min break. Then loaded the parcels that my workmates had scanned whilst I was out and unloaded another trunk. Left the depot at 1115. Took a 15 min break at 1245 whilst I waited on a customer coming back from lunch. Did more deliveries up until 1455 and this is where I’m confused, took a 30 min break, did I need to take the last break?? Made a collection and returned to the depot for 1615. Other work until 1635 and then removed my card. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Why take the 45 min break so early? If at the depot you were waiting for other folk i.e. hanging around for others - that’s working time and you shouldn’t have taken a break. You didn’t need to take the 15 whilst you waited for a customer to return from lunch and the 30 mid afternoon? The early 45 would have reset the tacho which is not what you want so early in the day.

I think you are confusing, driving time, WTD and colleagues breaks. The tacho records YOUR working day (forget what breaks other folk are having it doesn’t concern you). Think of the main 30 or 45 as your lunchtime, a mid morning 15 as a coffee break (if you have one) and a mid afternoon break if you will be finishing work 6 hours after your lunchtime - this day you were not. If you use split breaks a 15 must come before a 30. (strictly speaking the breaks should be 16, 31 and 46 as the tacho works in mins so you have to round down - I use a timer on my phone so I don’t cut it short (or too long)). For 6 hours WTD you need a 30 min break or 3 hours WTD a 15 min break.

For day work multi drop keep to a 15 mid morning, 30 at lunch and maybe a 15 mid afternoon if arriving back later than 1630 ish. In summary start 0700; 15 between 10-11, 30 between 12-13, 15 maybe between 1500-1600 on a late day - will keep you clear.

My apologies - I don’t know how I’ve managed to post this 3 times over. I edited it for typing errors and somehow it has appeared 3 times.
Not a problem as I have deleted the two copies - ROG

One other point - you’ve had 1.5 hours of breaks. Normally break is unpaid time (if paid by the hour) so your employer may be saying something. On your day finishing about 1600 you should have only had 45 mins.

End of break at 10-45 until end of work at 16-35 is less than 6hrs and so long as you’ve done less than 4-30 driving in this time the second and third breaks were unnecessary.
If they’re paid there is absolutely no problem in taking them of course but if unpaid you’re obviously losing out.
If you’re not working to a rigid schedule you’ll find a bit of experience in your job will help predict when breaks are needed.
Taking breaks earlier than needed can be better than waiting to the last second, only to find all the parkings are stuffed full etc.
No one gets hours management correct exactly right all the time in an unpredictable job in an unpredictable world.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

jessejazza:
My apologies - I don’t know how I’ve managed to post this 3 times over. I edited it for typing errors and somehow it has appeared 3 times.

One other point - you’ve had 1.5 hours of breaks. Normally break is unpaid time (if paid by the hour) so your employer may be saying something. On your day finishing about 1600 you should have only had 45 mins.

Cheers for clarifying. Just a bit confused with the wtd having taken the early break and then the subsequent 15 mins so wasn’t sure if the final 30 min was required for the 6-9 hours worked. Stuck to the 15 min break at 1110 today then had a 30 at 1345 and card was removed at 1605.

Franglais:
End of break at 10-45 until end of work at 16-35 is less than 6hrs and so long as you’ve done less than 4-30 driving in this time the second and third breaks were unnecessary.
If they’re paid there is absolutely no problem in taking them of course but if unpaid you’re obviously losing out.
If you’re not working to a rigid schedule you’ll find a bit of experience in your job will help predict when breaks are needed.
Taking breaks earlier than needed can be better than waiting to the last second, only to find all the parkings are stuffed full etc.
No one gets hours management correct exactly right all the time in an unpredictable job in an unpredictable world.

As its multidrop work ive got no chance in getting upto 4.5 hours continuous driving before needing a 45. I get paid regardless of how many breaks I have which is a bonus. Last week was my first week out on my own and having to use the tacho aswell. Hopefully get used to the hours sooner rather than later.

Craig14:

Franglais:

As its multidrop work ive got no chance in getting upto 4.5 hours continuous driving before needing a 45. I get paid regardless of how many breaks I have which is a bonus. Last week was my first week out on my own and having to use the tacho aswell. Hopefully get used to the hours sooner rather than later.

If you’re paid for breaks, then don’t be shy about booking 'em.
Obviously, never book one falsely.

Craig14:

jessejazza:

Cheers for clarifying. Just a bit confused with the wtd having taken the early break and then the subsequent 15 mins so wasn’t sure if the final 30 min was required for the 6-9 hours worked. Stuck to the 15 min break at 1110 today then had a 30 at 1345 and card was removed at 1605.

But you seem to have goofed again… if you started at 0700 like before! 1345 - taking a break 45 mins late. Keep life easy for yourself - much better than a £300/day from DVSA. He catches you tomorrow he’ll have you for £600 and possibly Mon and Tue as well (£1200 you owe DVSA and maybe £1500 if you make a mistake tomorrow).

Think of the day chopped up into 3 hour sections (remember with WTD you take a 30 min break every 6 hours OR 15 mins for every 3 hours).

Thus if starting at 0600 (as most firms start), take a 15 before 0900 (although this is flexible… any time between 0830-1000 say which is achievable by looking at your run sheet times). Before 1200 take 30 min break - THIS 30 mins resets the tacho MUST take before 1200. Take your other 15 before 1500 (if you are finishing work between 1600-1700 so could be skipped) - entitled to it … take it! If doing a long day 1800 is your other 30 min break - critical break. [ok so you start at 0700 and add an hour but see the point I am trying to make]. If you stick with this you won’t go wrong. If you do a long trip then move your critical 30 min forward to be within the 4.5 hours instead of 6 hours. I think it is easier to think of working time first and then driving time.

Don’t forget - within 28 days DVSA can fine you by the roadside £300/day for each infringement. Should they visit your depot it is £300/day over the preceding 6 months.

jessejazza:
THIS 30 mins resets the tacho MUST take before 1200

Why :question:

A break of 15 mins taken at 0900 means the 6 hour WTD rule is reset

ROG:

jessejazza:
THIS 30 mins resets the tacho MUST take before 1200

Why :question:

A break of 15 mins taken at 0900 means the 6 hour WTD rule is reset

yes ok - trying to keep things simple for him. The 30 min break with a 15 before will set the tacho for whatever driving hours he has done giving him a clean slate for the pm. In theory only 15 min for working time at/before 1200 is all he needs if his total driving time for the day was less than 4.5 hours. But also for most folk the total break time of 45 mins is unpaid if paid hourly so take it (although he has said he’s salaried).