Staying away

Firstly I apologise as I’m sure this has been asked many times.

I’ve started a new job and it’s an ideal job for me I love it.

I’ve been asked to have a night away or two nights away bags tramping bags and bits I have a day bag with maps and stuff in but what do you guys carry for an away bag

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys And Dazeruk this is a question I’ve been searching for on here too and as coincidence has it.

Dazeruk Company is the one I had a test drive with on Friday I was offered a job on the spot and also advised told that as part of my kit from day 1 I should have an overnight bag with me.

Ok to add to the above questions?
What do you overnight guys do on your daily downtime as it can’t be sleeping all the time. Normally when I finish work I feed me face then go on dog walks run or are playing in my garage.
So just after an inside view as what the semi pros trampers are up to…
Cheers Guys

Dazeruk:

I’ve been asked to have a night away or two nights away bags tramping bags and bits I have a day bag with maps and stuff in but what do you guys carry for an away bag

Thanks in advance

I can’t lie mate I really enjoy the job the family run business makes a huge difference

If you click on board index at top left of page, go to frequently asked questions and click on nights out there is info on it, there is also a link for a day bag. Just add to or take away anything that you think you will or won’t need.
Cheers Paul

Personally I read alot when parked up (although it’s a kindle rather than books nowadays)
You will end up putting more and more in ya truck the more night’s out you have.
Kettle, stove, water container, coffee, wet wipes and flip flops are my essentials.
[emoji16][emoji16]
Good luck and make sure you’re ■■■■■■■■ meter is working.
[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If it’s only one night away, I wouldn’t pack anything that isn’t already in my day bag (but I do carry everything but the kitchen sink anyway) make sure you pass a take out on your travels :wink:

Obviousely you’ll need a sleeping bag and pillow or two.Wash gear.Towel.Change of clothes maybe.As for downtime.Being a full time tramper.I have just about everything i have at home.Inc my xbox.lol.So you would’nt need a great deal for the odd night out.

daftvader:
Obviousely you’ll need a sleeping bag and pillow or two.Wash gear.Towel.Change of clothes maybe.As for downtime.Being a full time tramper.I have just about everything i have at home.Inc my xbox.lol.So you would’nt need a great deal for the odd night out.

Sleeping bag?OK for occasional nights out. Stretch bottom sheet and a duvet for more than that. Can’t be doing with pyjamas myself, but a silk dressing gown makes things comfy.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

EAR PLUGS .

I used to take my butler with me. He sorted everything.

i just used my initiative,
obviously an obsolete concept nowadays.

Dazeruk:
I’ve been asked to have a night away or two nights

My first boss said this.
I’ve been tramping ever since :laughing:

I’d plan for the worst case scenario, and that you have to park in a remote lay-by, far from civilisation. If you’re at an MSA or truck stop, then you have everything at your disposal, but better to prepare for if you have access to nothing. It does happen. Food, water, warmth, and a bit of entertainment are vital.

If you get the same truck every week, personally I’d take whatever you’d need and just store it in the truck. An electric coolbox or even a fridge would be a good investment, if your truck doesn’t have one. Even if you’re doing day runs, you can still have access to fresh milk, cold drinks, and a bit of decent home-made food, rather than petrol station sandwiches. If your truck has a microwave, then nice, but if not, a gas stove and some pots let you do a bit of frying and warming stuff up.

Water is vital, so I’d get a pack of 2L bottles and store them in your truck. I’d have a bit of food kicking around. At least enough for a supper and breakfast. John West Light Lunches are quite good for an emergency. You can always call into a services Waitrose or M&S to reload your supplies. If you’re like me, an in-cab kettle is a necessity, as tea and coffee just raises my morale.

Obviously a sleeping bag and a few pillows.

A small toiletry bag with wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, aftershave, etc. A towel incase you have a shower. Books, magazines, iPad with a sim card for entertainment.

Like said, if you have the same truck every week, and you’ll be doing one or two nights out per week, I’d make my truck a home away from home, and have everything I would ever need. You’ll gradually build-up your supplies, but to start-off you need a bit of food, water, warmth and some personal hygiene. The rest are just luxuries really, but why not have them! :smiley:

dieseldog999:

Is that like thinking for ones self.

biggriffin:

dieseldog999:

Is that like thinking for ones self.

^^^^^^^^^^
that would somewhat sum it up nicely.
apparently its a dying art.

Take whatever YOU think you might need for 3 (maybe more) days away from home, everyone has their own list of comforts and needs.

I’m a tramper and keep the same truck, so all I need for a week away for ME is in here, plus loads of other crud that I probably don’t need but might come in handy.
I suppose it depends on how big yer bag is to carry yer stuff, but minimum I can think of is:
Wash/shower kit, inc flip flops for in the shower!!
Food and hydration,
Something to sleep in or on.
Some pennies.
Some form of entertainment

Good luck, you’ll figure out what you do and don’t need after your first trip.

Dazeruk:

Thanks in advance

So how’s your nights away going for you.

Ray I’m loving it mate and such a good bunch of guys but the nights away are good mate help by top kit in trucks dvd microwave plenty of room.

What was your outcome mate??

Really sounds like what I should be doing having some time away and actually being able to finish a book would be nice.
But having never spent more than a couple of days in a truck the wife and I aren’t sure about me being away for more than a night a week at the moment.
Any way I’ve taken a different job Sort of baptism of fire 12 hour shifts 4 on 4 off it’s a big double decker truck and lots of driving in London. So in at the deep end.
Sounds like it’s working out for you well done on finding the right job with out to much hassle.
RayW

It was the best thing I’ve ever done I’m only doing a night a week for now to get used to it anyway