Struggling to find work

I’ve newly passed class 2 and I have spent some time looking for places who take on new drivers. Unfortunately I am struggling, most jobs ask for experience. I have signed up with a couple of agencies in the past week to see if they are able to find me anything. I live in North Kent, if there is anyone from that area are they able to provide me with any advice or even know any companies who take on newly passed drivers. Thanks

Always makes me laugh, they push the driver shortage myth, then when you pass your test and start looking every employer wants experience. Where do they think the experienced drivers come from?

If you haven’t already, give ASH employment a ring on the Medway City Estate. Sarah has always been very helpful to me

North Kent.

DX Swanley < Parcel firm always crying out for multi drop drivers. May stick you on 7.5t but decent Money.
Tuffnells Belevdere < Same crap.

Then you have ALL the major supermarket RDCs. Tesco in Dagnenham and Rainham and Thurrock who use TRG Logistics mainly.
CO-OP in Thurrock - not sure on the agency they use.
I believe Sainsburys, ALDI and ASDA all have RDCs in the Dartford area.

All of these will take on new starters. None of them are the best jobs but they will give you experience. Don’t send emails though go there in person. Last I heard DX and Tuffnells are crying out for drivers so you may be given a job on the spot as its easy to speak to a manager. With the big RDCs chances are security may just take your details to give to the agency.

My advice would be to avoide agencies while gaining experience as employers in the long term what to see experience with 1 firm over say a year or two so they know you are reliable. That being said RDC agencies are different as although your employed through an agency you will be in work all the time.

Also try to go during a off-peak time say 11am to 2pm if you go earlier or later then all the drivers will still be there loading up on coming back to get unloaded.

adam277:
North Kent.

DX Swanley < Parcel firm always crying out for multi drop drivers. May stick you on 7.5t but decent Money.

Then you have ALL the major supermarket RDCs. Tesco in Dagnenham and Rainham and Thurrock who use TRG Logistics mainly.

All of these will take on new starters. None of them are the best jobs but they will give you experience. Don’t send emails though go there in person. Last I heard DX and Tuffnells are crying out for drivers so you may be given a job on the spot as its easy to speak to a manager. With the big RDCs chances are security may just take your details to give to the agency.

My advice would be to avoide agencies while gaining experience as employers in the long term what to see experience with 1 firm over say a year or two so they know you are reliable. That being said RDC agencies are different as although your employed through an agency you will be in work all the time.

Also try to go during a off-peak time say 11am to 2pm if you go earlier or later then all the drivers will still be there loading up on coming back to get unloaded.

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely look to see if Trg logistics are offering any jobs.

Also when visiting DX and Tuffnells I assume I walk in and ask for the manager? I never really considered walking into workplaces and asking the manager as I just assume that applying for jobs is all online. Also would I dress as if I was going to an interview if I visit one of those mentioned places?

They are smaller firms so its quite easy to speak to a manger. Tesco RDC could have 300+ employees on a site dx and tuffnells may only have a dozen. Dress how ever you like as long as your walking in looking like a tramp or hipster I’m sure you will be fine.

adam277:
They are smaller firms so its quite easy to speak to a manger. Tesco RDC could have 300+ employees on a site dx and tuffnells may only have a dozen. Dress how ever you like as long as your walking in looking like a tramp or hipster I’m sure you will be fine.

About the supermarket RDC’s, would I be better off loooking for the agency that supermarkets use or should I try and get on site to speak to someone?
Thanks for your help!

LR98:

adam277:

About the supermarket RDC’s, would I be better off loooking for the agency that supermarkets use or should I try and get on site to speak to someone?
Thanks for your help!

Do a bit of research on a job site or on old posts here and you should be able to match the agency to the supermarket. That being said someone may well know the agencies these guys use and post them here.
Failing that though just go to the site and ask security.

LR98:

adam277:
North Kent.

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely look to see if Trg logistics are offering any jobs.

Also when visiting DX and Tuffnells I assume I walk in and ask for the manager? I never really considered walking into workplaces and asking the manager as I just assume that applying for jobs is all online. Also would I dress as if I was going to an interview if I visit one of those mentioned places?

Small firm here and we don’t advertise online or anywhere.

Turn up at places smart casual, smaller firms, make sure you have boots etc with you just in case someone says, can you do this now.

Good luck.

jbaz73:
Always makes me laugh, they push the driver shortage myth, then when you pass your test and start looking every employer wants experience. Where do they think the experienced drivers come from?

It’s the same in many job sectors. Employers only want experienced people. Backwards thinking in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:

jbaz73:

It’s the same in many job sectors. Employers only want experienced people. Backwards thinking in my opinion.

And yet every driver with experience, was a driver with no experience at some point, so there is work out there.

I still remember xfmatt posting about taking someone new on, went out with him for a few days, then let him loose. Within the space of a week, he’d brought down a telegraph pole and kissed the bumper of a car at a roundabout. matt unbelievably kept him on to be rewarded by him tipping the whole rig over on the A47 a few days later. :open_mouth: It does make an operator hesitate. :wink:

Out of 8 Class 1s, two were complete new starts and under 25 to boot. I have another that has his Class 2 and is aiming for his 1. I do have the luxury of double manning though.

Right I’m a new pass. I passed in November last. Jumped on the agency’s straight away put my details on to The two agencies that sound similar applied to around 16–18 company’s.
I’ve not heard a thing from anybody just crap emails saying we have this or that new job why not apply.
So in my limited opinion as s new pass I would not bother.

What I did was find the local company’s to where I am and look on there website.
If there a big company I emailed them my full CV then the following day called them to see if a new pass was of interest and I was asked to apply online.
That was around 18 December.
5th December had a call from them too see if I could come for an interview assessment drive did that yesterday 11th to day been offered a job.

I had also had a heads up from a member on here saying his company takes on new passes there a small company so I popped over to see them had a chat and arranged for an assessment drive.
Had that drive yesterday offered a job on the spot.

If you have the time see what company’s are in your area short list them as the ones you would like to work for and go knocking on doors.

I’ve just been on indeed looking at my local class 1 work, about 95% of them state that they want 2 years experience. All the jobs are for agency parasites, so best avoided anyway (especially at this time of year)

But don’t worry, when you have got some experience, the parasites will find your cv online and they will be ringing YOU at least a couple of times a week. Pita if you’re working night shift, they don’t understand people need to sleep. And on the run up to Xmas the phone will be going constantly.

albion:

IronEddie:

jbaz73:

And yet every driver with experience, was a driver with no experience at some point, so there is work out there.

I still remember xfmatt posting about taking someone new on, went out with him for a few days, then let him loose. Within the space of a week, he’d brought down a telegraph pole and kissed the bumper of a car at a roundabout. matt unbelievably kept him on to be rewarded by him tipping the whole rig over on the A47 a few days later. :open_mouth: It does make an operator hesitate. :wink:

Out of 8 Class 1s, two were complete new starts and under 25 to boot. I have another that has his Class 2 and is aiming for his 1. I do have the luxury of double manning though.

Yeah true there is work. I’m new and I found a job.

I can see how a few burnt fingers puts firms off hiring newbies. I’ve already cost my lot a bit of money unfortunately.

RayW:
Right I’m a new pass. I passed in November last. Jumped on the agency’s straight away put my details on to The two agencies that sound similar applied to around 16–18 company’s.
I’ve not heard a thing from anybody just crap emails saying we have this or that new job why not apply.
So in my limited opinion as s new pass I would not bother.

What I did was find the local company’s to where I am and look on there website.
If there a big company I emailed them my full CV then the following day called them to see if a new pass was of interest and I was asked to apply online.
That was around 18 December.
5th December had a call from them too see if I could come for an interview assessment drive did that yesterday 11th to day been offered a job.

I had also had a heads up from a member on here saying his company takes on new passes there a small company so I popped over to see them had a chat and arranged for an assessment drive.
Had that drive yesterday offered a job on the spot.

If you have the time see what company’s are in your area short list them as the ones you would like to work for and go knocking on doors.

I know we are a bit odd that we don’t have an online presence, but I doubt we are the only ones.

The other thing is that doesn’t suggest any thing one way or the other about the company. And another thing, don’t judge a book by its cover. We certainly don’t look like a fabulous company to work for going by appearances, yet around half my staff have been here for over ten years and four out of 23 divers, over 20.

If by any miracle someone did e mail me out of the blue, tbh, there’s a good chance I wouldn’t reply at all, just because we don’t generally open unsolicited personal emails.

LR98:

adam277:
North Kent.

Give Tuffnells a miss, complete ■■■■ takers. A parcel to them could be a roll of carpet or something equally large and heavy. You’re also salaried with them but they will expect untold unpaid overtime from you.

IronEddie:
Yeah true there is work. I’m new and I found a job.

I can see how a few burnt fingers puts firms off hiring newbies. I’ve already cost my lot a bit of money unfortunately.

It’s all part of the process bud!

Sainsbury at Charlton is a Wincanton run contract and they use class 2 drivers and will consider newbies. That would be a reasonable start for anybody.

albion:
Small firm here and we don’t advertise online or anywhere.

Turn up at places smart casual, smaller firms, make sure you have boots etc with you just in case someone says, can you do this now.

Good luck.

What She said. :smiley:

Email a small company and if it doesn’t go straight to the junk mail box due to the spam filter, it will most likely get a cursory glance and get forgotten about as the next phone call, drama, etc hits the office.

Email a large company, it will go to the HR department or maybe the transport manager and got lost in the million other emails they have to deal with that day, many of which will be far more important to the manager than a speculative email from a new driver.

Of course like the odd sperm, one in a million get through and then you just have to hope there is a receptive egg in the guise of a job going for it to fertilise.

Go out knock on doors, still not guaranteed, but you’d be surprised by the effect of seeing a face has on the memory when it comes to getting an employee, even if you have a face for radio. :laughing:

TiredAndEmotional:
Sainsbury at Charlton is a Wincanton run contract and they use class 2 drivers and will consider newbies. That would be a reasonable start for anybody.

Should I visit the distribution centre in Charlton and ask them directly? Or do I have to apply through other means?