Licence for Horsebox

Hi all, I’m wondering if you could give me some advice.

Our family have a 7.5 Tonne Leyland DAF Horsebox, which I can’t drive due to lack of licence.

Now I’m wondering if I should just stick with the C1 licence or go for the Cat C licence? I have seen a place that will run a 1 day course for the C1 and I think its done in a Merc Sprinter for around £395 including test fees. Obviously medical and theory testing isn’t included in that price, I would have to complete that prior to the course.

But then I have been researching the Cat C, but the price the instructors near to myself want £1700 and I think that is included CPC and definitely included the theory but excluding the medical. However, I’m not clued up about CPC’s at all, but I would only be using the horsebox for my own personal use.

I was speaking to my mum and she thinks it would be daft to go for the Cat C licence as we are most likely never going to get a box bigger than 7.5 tonne, but then again its another ‘string to my bow’.

Or can anyone recommend other training providers in the North West of England.

Many thanks.

Experts correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think you need CPC unless you drive to earn a living.

Given the costs it might be better to just stick with c1. Then again if you want C and have the money, why not?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PhilippaKatex:
Hi all, I’m wondering if you could give me some advice.

Our family have a 7.5 Tonne Leyland DAF Horsebox, which I can’t drive due to lack of licence.

Now I’m wondering if I should just stick with the C1 licence or go for the Cat C licence? I have seen a place that will run a 1 day course for the C1 and I think its done in a Merc Sprinter for around £395 including test fees. Obviously medical and theory testing isn’t included in that price, I would have to complete that prior to the course.

But then I have been researching the Cat C, but the price the instructors near to myself want £1700 and I think that is included CPC and definitely included the theory but excluding the medical. However, I’m not clued up about CPC’s at all, but I would only be using the horsebox for my own personal use.

I was speaking to my mum and she thinks it would be daft to go for the Cat C licence as we are most likely never going to get a box bigger than 7.5 tonne, but then again its another ‘string to my bow’.

Or can anyone recommend other training providers in the North West of England.

Many thanks.

It will certainly cost more initially for cat C as opposed to C1 but the process is identical for both, really the choice is yours.

The driver cpc WILL be required if you are under the age of 21, even though you don’t need it for private use.
Chevron Training is based just over the Chester, North Wales border if that’s any good for you.

Any questions please ask.
John

Where abouts in the North West are you?

Hi Phillipa, welcome to Trucknet, get in touch with Peter Smythe on here for advise and members Rog and Tachograph are also experienced and experts in their field to answer your questions.
Be aware, whatever you decide, it has to be legal, I have seen horseboxes in Dvsa enforcement checkpoints around the UK.

Hi all,

Thank you for your warm welcome and replies.

It was ROG who sent me over here from the Horse and Hound Forums.

I’m 26 year old and its used mainly to take me and the nag to shows around the UK, but mother becoming a bit reluctant to want to go out every weekend hence the reason it’s about time I get my licence and she definitely won’t want to be staying away over night (I think I might kill her as well).

I live near Clitheroe in Lancashire. I’ve contacted one of the most popular trainers in our area and that’s who I got the expensive quote from.

I have trained so many folks on C1 who “will definitely not need anything any bigger” only to see them again in a year or two for CAT C. This often follows a campaign by VOSA.

As said previously, obviously the choices are yours.

Out of interest, a C1 course with me is £810 fully inclusive and allowing for Trucknet discount. A C would be £1260. Neither include theory or cpc (which you don’t need) but both include free accommodation for the duration of the training.

Interest free, no questions asked, finance up to £1000 is available on the CAT C but not on the C1. But you would pay the normal CAT C rate which is £1400 + accommodation.

Feel free to ask me any questions either on the forum or via pm.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You probably won’t want anything over 7.5t for a horsebox unless you get into the big time Showjumping or Eventing. Also even if it’s for private use I believe you need to run a tachograph for anything over 7.5t.

However having a C licence will give you the option of getting a larger horsebox if required, cheaper etc, it also gives you another string to your bow, even though you’d have to get a DCPC to drive for a living, but I’d worry about that if and when the situation arises.

I took my HGV’s for the hell of it, not really intending to do more than a few odd days here and there, but I’ve ended up using it pretty much fulltime for 25 years and ended up with a pretty good job.

PhilippaKatex:
Hi all,

Thank you for your warm welcome and replies.

It was ROG who sent me over here from the Horse and Hound Forums.

I’m 26 year old and its used mainly to take me and the nag to shows around the UK, but mother becoming a bit reluctant to want to go out every weekend hence the reason it’s about time I get my licence and she definitely won’t want to be staying away over night (I think I might kill her as well).

I live near Clitheroe in Lancashire. I’ve contacted one of the most popular trainers in our area and that’s who I got the expensive quote from.

Was it Ben Shaw by any chance? I Did my class 2 with Ben a fair few years ago now but did class 1 at Peter Smythe, and it still worked out cheaper going to Mansfield.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

TBH I would go for the ‘C’ if you can afford it

You won’t need a C+E unless you suddenly start getting an interest in polo (!!) but a C licence will feed you if it’s ever needed

Great to see another horse person on here :smiley:

I have an idea, maybe not bother getting the license due to cost, and put an advert for free in the truck magazines or the horse magazines.
In the advert write :fully qualified driver required for weekend eventing.
Does your vehicle have facilities for crew to sleep inside it ?
A semi or retired driver would love to do this.
A photo of your nag would be nice, what is his or her,s name ?

chevmac:
The driver cpc WILL be required if you are under the age of 21, even though you don’t need it for private use.

Correct if going for C but for C1 it is not needed

C had that imposed on it as it used to have an age 21 restriction (now age 18) but C1 remains at its original age 18

PhilippaKatex:

If you have lots of experience in a large 3.5 van then that one day course may be an option especially if you passed car test withing the last year or so

toby1234abc:
I have an idea, maybe not bother getting the license due to cost, and put an advert for free in the truck magazines or the horse magazines.
In the advert write :fully qualified driver required for weekend eventing.
Does your vehicle have facilities for crew to sleep inside it ?
A semi or retired driver would love to do this.
A photo of your nag would be nice, what is his or her,s name ?

Haha that would be a good idea but the whole point was to be more independent and not having to rely on someone else, plus what I do with mine (showing) is like watching paint dry to some people.

Peter - Thanks for that, I will have a serious think about your offers. I’m going to get my medical sorted this month and then crack on with the rest of it. Out of interest, is the C1 theory the same as the C?

ROG - I passed my driving test back in 2009, but I do borrow friends 3.5 horsebox a lot and I do drive our wagon (on our yard of course!).

Quick update - Passed my Cat C yesterday at Atherton. Chuffed to bits. Ended up using a different firm in our area who are a fairly new company - Ford & Williams HGV Training, can 100% recommend anyone to use them if you are based in the North West. Thanks for all your help guys.

PhilippaKatex:
Quick update - Passed my Cat C yesterday at Atherton. Chuffed to bits. Ended up using a different firm in our area who are a fairly new company - Ford & Williams HGV Training, can 100% recommend anyone to use them if you are based in the North West. Thanks for all your help guys.

:smiley: :smiley:

Added to members recommended list :smiley:

Congratulations Philippa, you can start doing some agency work as well now :laughing:

albion:
Congratulations Philippa, you can start doing some agency work as well now :laughing:

Only if decided to get driver cpc as well

Thanks guys. Decided against the CPC for the time being, very busy at work at the moment! Just waiting for my driving licence to come back and then I think it will all feel real :slight_smile: Thanks again guys and thank you as well ROG!

A C Licence is much more use but lot of trainers are offering C1 In a small transit type Van. Because they Can. I saw Guy pass to do paramedics course. So It has to be much easier to take. But I see you have passed C well done !