Pre interview assessment advice

Hi people so I’m another one asking the same question for pre assessment advice.

I guess we all get nervous about it because it’s the first one since passing our test. After that we know what to expect.

So I passed on a wagon and drag and I’ve applied for a job on wagon and drag 4 on 4 off 12 hour shift pattern.

Got me confirmation letter this morning for the interview next Thursday 11th.
It reads something like. All the usual bits then.

1: Check ID licenses bits an bobs - followed by written test on drivers rules and regs. Pass that move on to.

2: Driving assessment with transport trainer - this will be on an Articulated Lorry.

Pass that move on to a formal interview with OPs and TM.

Ok so drivers hours drive a max 4 hours 30 minutes must have a 45 min break?
Or can the 45 minutes be in the 4.5 hours so maybe drive 3 hours then 15 min break drive 1.5 hours 30 min break?

WTD so if I’m on a 12 hour shift do I need to take two 30 minute breaks in the 12 hours not breaking tacho rules of 4.5 Driving. Is this correct?

Not too bothered about driving an artic how hard / different can it be from drawbar.
Reverse up to a trailer check hight do walk round doing all the bits reverse up clunk click do all the bits.
Out on the road spacial awareness take as much room as I need and a bit more

If all that goes well interview.

Then after all that I’ve another Driving assessment with a company I knocked on the door of yesterday.
All advice welcome thanks guys.

To answer your questions;

1. Yes you can drive for a total of 4.5 hours and then you must take 45 minutes break before continuing to drive. You can drive 2 full 4.5 hour driving periods per day with an extra hour after the second 45 minute break on 2 occasions during any fixed week.

2. You can take the 45 minutes across two separate breaks and they can be completed at any point within the 4.5 hours driving time and it will count. You can take a break of 15 minutes and then of 30 minutes to accumulate 45 minutes break, but you cannot do it the other way around.
    If you take 15 minutes first and then 29 minutes break before accidentally moving off too soon, you still must stop and take 30 minutes. Your example is legal.
    My advice would be not to leave breaks till the last minute but i’m sure you’re not silly like that :wink:

3. If you are on a 12 hour shift, you must take 45 minutes break to satisfy the WTD rules…
    Shift length 6-9 hours: 30 minutes break required - can be one whole break or split into two 15 minute breaks. First one being taken before you reach 6 hours and then the second one between 6 and 9 hours somewhere (remembering you can’t finish a shift on a break)
    Shift length 9 hours+: 45 minutes break required - can be taken in two or 3 split breaks. First one before 6 hours, second one before 9 and the third one can be taken also be taken within the 6-9 hour period as long as you do not work for more than 6 hours in one go without a break. Remember that the first 15 minute break will count towards WTD and EU drivers hours, but the last two 15 minute breaks will not accumulate for drivers breaks as they aren’t at least 30 minutes long.

My advice for the driving assessment is to just take it in your stride, you’re a drive… you got this. :slight_smile:
You can do anything you want to if you do it with some genuine confidence, so forget that someone experienced is watching you, because that isn’t important - if you want to drive, then you’ll enjoy it no matter what!

Best of luck!

p.s: I went all out explaining the rules so I do sincerely apologise if it seems like I’m teaching you how to ■■■■ eggs haha!

Thanks Jordon.
Basically I was putting my thoughts down off the top of my head and I think your confirming I’m in the ball park.

jordon1703:
To answer your questions;

1. Yes you can drive for a total of 4.5 hours and then you must take 45 minutes break before continuing to drive. You can drive 2 full 4.5 hour driving periods per day with an extra hour after the second 45 minute break on 2 occasions during any fixed week.

2. You can take the 45 minutes across two separate breaks and they can be completed at any point within the 4.5 hours driving time and it will count. You can take a break of 15 minutes and then of 30 minutes to accumulate 45 minutes break, but you cannot do it the other way around.
    If you take 15 minutes first and then 29 minutes break before accidentally moving off too soon, you still must stop and take 30 minutes. Your example is legal.
    My advice would be not to leave breaks till the last minute but i’m sure you’re not silly like that :wink:

3. If you are on a 12 hour shift, you must take 45 minutes break to satisfy the WTD rules…
    Shift length 6-9 hours: 30 minutes break required - can be one whole break or split into two 15 minute breaks. First one being taken before you reach 6 hours and then the second one between 6 and 9 hours somewhere (remembering you can’t finish a shift on a break)
    Shift length 9 hours+: 45 minutes break required - can be taken in two or 3 split breaks. First one before 6 hours, second one before 9 and the third one can be taken also be taken within the 6-9 hour period as long as you do not work for more than 6 hours in one go without a break. Remember that the first 15 minute break will count towards WTD and EU drivers hours, but the last two 15 minute breaks will not accumulate for drivers breaks as they aren’t at least 30 minutes long.

My advice for the driving assessment is to just take it in your stride, you’re a drive… you got this. :slight_smile:
You can do anything you want to if you do it with some genuine confidence, so forget that someone experienced is watching you, because that isn’t important - if you want to drive, then you’ll enjoy it no matter what!

Best of luck!

p.s: I went all out explaining the rules so I do sincerely apologise if it seems like I’m teaching you how to ■■■■ eggs haha!

RayW:
Another question with WTD
So say I’m working a 12 hour shift is the second brake a full 45 minutes after 9 hours working and before end of shift.

Why would you need a second break of 45 mins :question:

Yep you got me that’s a newbie one I’ve edited that all ready. Thought I’d get there before anybody read it :blush:

ROG:

RayW:
Another question with WTD
So say I’m working a 12 hour shift is the second brake a full 45 minutes after 9 hours working and before end of shift.

Why would you need a second break of 45 mins :question:

You’ll be fine. Coupling is so much easier in an artic, plenty of mirrors like when you learned. Take more room.

jbaz73:
You’ll be fine. Coupling is so much easier in an artic, plenty of mirrors like when you learned. Take more room.

Tell you what guys the thing that is bothering me the most is the interview.
I’ve been in the same job getting on 20 years now. An I’ve been looking at the interweb of interviews and the crap they could ask now is unbelievable and your being scored on each question. :open_mouth:
When they ask? Do you have a good geographical knowledge of the UK road network. Is it ok to say?
No I’ll use a road atlas or me satnav. :grimacing:

Better to be honest, although as long as you got a vague idea and not doing a 100 mile detour to somewhere, I can’t see it being a problem.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hey how it go mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So had a good day today.
I have had 2 assessment drives.
The first A large Waste company (4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts home every night ) found it on an agency web sites but applied directly to the company. The first two parts were with the company driving assessor An ex lorry instructor really nice guy had a chat an a cuppa then got to it.
To start it was the written test all simple stuff working hours tacho hours and signage got a bit stuck on manually filling in an old tacho.
Passed that moved on to the 2 hour assessment drive.
The truck a Renault ■■ day cab auto with a standard tri axel box.
It was a great drive and a good reverse passed that move on to interview passed that. Wait for a job offer.

Second Drive came about with advice from Dazeruk he had messaged me to say that his company took on New pass drivers.
So I knocked on there door last week and had an interview on the spot that went well and was invited back for a test drive today.

Went out in a massive ( to me ) Mercedes Actros auto twin sleeper cab and fridge trailer.
For the drive I went out with the top man had a good chat while out which helps calm the nerves and help get a better picture of the company got a bit stuck in rush hour traffic but the drive went really well and offered a job on the spot.
It’s possibly more nights out than I was expecting to get for a newbie so lots of thinking and chatting to the family over the weekend.