I suppose I'm a wannabe?

Alright everyone, I couldn’t find an introduction area so thought this would probably be my best bet.

Good to see a popular forum, not many have survived over the years (with the introduction of FB messenger, WhatsApp, etc) so reckon I’ll get the answers I’m seeking.

Basically, I’ve always loved big engines, loud noise, big wheels, big [zb] and control over all of those things haha. However, messing around in my teens and sort, I ended up becoming a joiner basher. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the concept of working with timber and all the things that go with it but as of late - I’ve had an epiphany, if you like. I want to drive big eff off trucks! So much so I’ve started using truck simulators, joined enthusiasts clubs (for Scandinavian sorts,) talk about them none stop, it’s driving the missus mad. Oh and did I mention, I love driving- always have. Got my licence when I was 18 and I’m now 34 and I still get that excitement of going for a spin.

So, with all of this factored in the mix, where do I start? I know I’m going to get naysayers and all that, but I’m not going through life wondering “what if I did something I really enjoyed?” My uncle was a HGV driver all his life and was once tour manager to a popular 70’s Rock group and he’s never had a bad word to say about the job.

I’m 34, clean licence for at least 10+ years, good health and to be honest, I’m a cracking driver.

Hit me with it :smiley:

mr_pele_rocco:
I’m a cracking driver

You will only know that when you agree to have someone well qualified to judge your driving - perhaps you have already :question:

Start with the list below, top to bottom.

1. LGV Theory & Hazard Perception tests. Purchase the study material and book your tests. The tests can be booked online through the DVLA website atyour nearest test centre.

2. If you didn’t pass your test prior to 1997, you’ll need to do your mod 2 and 4 before to get your drivers CPC. You need this to drive for a living.

3. Find a reputable training school & book your Class C licence first. Once passed, you can go on to C&E (Artics). Some driving schools will organise all of the above :slight_smile:

It’s not cheap though, it’s going to cost you somewhere in the region of £2.5K - £3K for everything.

I done the hazard & theory tests off my own back. I also passed my B driving test in 1989 so I had acquired rights and didn’t need to do the mod 2 & 4 for my CPC. The 37 hours driving lessons covered the CPC part for me.

I think that’s everything. Someone will be along shortly to fill any blanks I’ve missed. :smiley:

Welcome to the madhouse
First off if its what you want to do then take a serious look at what in entails,such as cost to get your license theory,medical etc.
Also have to take into account what the job is really like,unsocial hours possible 15 hour days treated like a 5 year old when you get to where you need to be,But as you said you want to drive trucks that’s the only way to want to get your license some do it as a means to an end but wanting to is a bonus.
I always wanted to drive trucks got my class 1+2 and did for 17 years till may this year,not sure how much money your on a month (not my business BUT) you have to take into account most newbies start on agency and work can be hit and miss so money will be up and down.Brakes on the M62 take newbies permanent did 4 years at tamworth if you need advice.
My Advice would be take a week off work to take your practical training and test don’t ever give up a permanent job to do training then look for a job,get your license keep your job and only jump ship when you can be sure money will be earnt,if your good lady is giving you grief about going on about it imagine how much you will get if you don’t get any work and earn nothing lol.
Anything else you need just ask plenty of advice and help on here

Jeff.

Thanks for the advice guys and thanks for the list Rabb.

I didn’t expect it to be something you learn overnight and I’m well aware of the costs. I make a decent living doing what I do, but honestly - I ■■■■■■ hate it. I would have done this years ago but it’s taken me a very long time to realise. I did a job for a customer recently who’d gone from being a solicitor to running a cafe/restaurant because he’d grown to hate his original job. I think that’s where I’m at right now. I may sound whimsical, but this has been a long time coming.

Matt

Hi Matt
It’s not whimsical it’s knowing what you want to do and having the get up and go to go get it.
Plenty of help on here from now to getting your first class 2 job then onto class 1 training and job.plenty of companies by you so agency or full time enough to apply for,when you have booked your training take a couple of days going round companies by you knocking on doors asking to see the Transport Manager tell them your doing your training and ask if they take new passes,goes a long way taking the time and effort to actually knock on doors shows your keen to get a start.

Jeff.

mr_pele_rocco:
Thanks for the advice guys and thanks for the list Rabb.

I didn’t expect it to be something you learn overnight and I’m well aware of the costs. I make a decent living doing what I do, but honestly - I [zb] hate it. I would have done this years ago but it’s taken me a very long time to realise. I did a job for a customer recently who’d gone from being a solicitor to running a cafe/restaurant because he’d grown to hate his original job. I think that’s where I’m at right now. I may sound whimsical, but this has been a long time coming.

Matt

I done it last year mate. Quit IT management and good salary. My only gripe is that I should have done it before now. I ■■■■■■■ love driving and it pays my bills. I also get more free time now with family which most old timers find strange.
I was told “you’ll work all hours and not see your family”. ■■■■■■■■, when you’ve been consumed by 80 to 100 hours a week wiping ■■■■■■■■ arses, 50 - 60 hours a week with no hastle is a blessing :slight_smile:

Rabb the bit where you get told you will do 60+hours and won’t see your family is usually by people stuck in their jobs and not got the bottle to do what they want by changing careers totally.
Got the same when I started 17 years ago

I went out to watch the derby last night with some of the lads and one of them is driving HGV’s now for Maritime. He proper loves it, I was so envious.

I’ve took the first step anyway and ordered my D2 and D4 forms.

I was concerned about not seeing the family as I have three little ones and another due in March, but by the time (if it happens) I’m ready for long distance, the kids and missus probably won’t want to know me haha.

I love manovering artics, but hate being stuck in a traffic jam with some oik ringing me every 5 minutes to see how long I’ll be. I love driving them without the worry of vosa fining me for missing a strap, or the threat of a parking fine for doing my job. I love a regular 8 hr shift per day, overtime is my choice, if I don’t feel like it at 3am, it’s ‘see ya’ most of all, I love being my own boss, I get a load sheet and how I manage it is up to me. The management are all tucked up in bed, there’s no supervisor, nobody cares that I have 5 or 6 ■■■ breaks a night as long as the job is done. 15hr days are now just a dim memory, I wouldn’t go back to doing that, life’s too short, the kids are grown up and left home, now I want to spend my time with mrs jbaz.

Just picking up on what Rabb said about purchasing study material - flipping heck, so many choices on books, PC format.

There are loads on Amazon, most with differing views on what they actually deliver. In my basket at the moment I’ve got the DVSA Theory Test for Large Vehicles and Updated Highway code.

There’s also a DVSA guide to driving goods vehicles? What about hazard perception and CPC? Is there any interactive material I should be looking at?

Sorry for all of the questions

Depending who you train with, they will supply materials for some of it as well. Mine supplied cpc case studies and an online login for the theory and hazard perception. I bought the dvsa therory test, guide and cpc books. I also have “the essential new truckers handbook”. All of these have been useful to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mr_pele_rocco:
Just picking up on what Rabb said about purchasing study material - flipping heck, so many choices on books, PC format.

There are loads on Amazon, most with differing views on what they actually deliver. In my basket at the moment I’ve got the DVSA Theory Test for Large Vehicles and Updated Highway code.

There’s also a DVSA guide to driving goods vehicles? What about hazard perception and CPC? Is there any interactive material I should be looking at?

Sorry for all of the questions

I’m sure others have their recommendations but I bought the official DVSA LGV hazard perception & theory software. I passed both easily 1st time.

Fortunately I didn’t need to do the CPC stuff (other than get the 37hrs) as I had acquired rights.

mr_pele_rocco:
Alright everyone, I couldn’t find an introduction area so thought this would probably be my best bet.

Good to see a popular forum, not many have survived over the years (with the introduction of FB messenger, WhatsApp, etc) so reckon I’ll get the answers I’m seeking.

Basically, I’ve always loved big engines, loud noise, big wheels, big [zb] and control over all of those things haha. However, messing around in my teens and sort, I ended up becoming a joiner basher. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the concept of working with timber and all the things that go with it but as of late - I’ve had an epiphany, if you like. I want to drive big eff off trucks! So much so I’ve started using truck simulators, joined enthusiasts clubs (for Scandinavian sorts,) talk about them none stop, it’s driving the missus mad. Oh and did I mention, I love driving- always have. Got my licence when I was 18 and I’m now 34 and I still get that excitement of going for a spin.

So, with all of this factored in the mix, where do I start? I know I’m going to get naysayers and all that, but I’m not going through life wondering “what if I did something I really enjoyed?” My uncle was a HGV driver all his life and was once tour manager to a popular 70’s Rock group and he’s never had a bad word to say about the job.

I’m 34, clean licence for at least 10+ years, good health and to be honest, I’m a cracking driver.

Hit me with it :smiley:

Really? We’ll see… :grimacing: many people after following one career after a number of years fancy a change, nowt wrong with that. Scratch that itch!