Are big companies going to take over HGV training?

Seems like Stobarts are not offering HGV training very cheap. I don’t know if it’s any good - but a lot of people are tempted by price. Being 100% honest, the price looks very good to me. They include everything (including theory, hazard perception and cpc - even all the training and test fees) and class 1 and 2 training for £2300. They also give you a next to guaranteed job offer at the end of it. So you don’t need to pay for books or theory tests - it’s all covered. Class 1 (including your cpc if you need it) is £1150.

Now from the little reading I’ve done on here. Brokers have found business as they have promised jobs after training. But they didn’t have the jobs and they overinflated the prices of training. But Stobarts seem to be actually offering jobs and then charging a reasonable price.

I haven’t done any training with them. And won’t do any training with them. So it’s just a general question. If I wanted a full-time job in driving I would probably be interested - as not only is the training cheap, but you get a job.

I do wonder if other big haulers start doing this (think DHL etc…) then it might spell the end to smaller operations. They don’t need to make any money out of the training - and sadly can afford to lose money if it gives them the drivers they need. Possibly this is the first signs that there might be a driver shortage. Or perhaps they are worried about recruiting drivers post brexit day. But I doubt they are doing it out of generosity.

If there was a driver shortage 90% of job adverts wouldn’t be demanding 1/2 years experience.
Once the big players start taking new passes on in bulk then there may well be a driver shortage.
As for Stobarts joining the training game I suspect some suit thought it was a good idea due to sheer volume of wannabe truckers out there taking pictures of the trucks. They could easily undercut the competition and run smaller firms out of business but they arent; I can only assume they don’t see much money to be had in the market.

I am halfway through my training with Stobarts at the moment (passed Class 2, just waiting for DVLA to update my license) then on to class 1.

The training is currently taking place near Runcorn but whilst I was on my Class 2 course the instructors stated that they were expanding the training and planning on opening more training schools in different parts of the country.

andywilliams1187:
I am halfway through my training with Stobarts at the moment (passed Class 2, just waiting for DVLA to update my license) then on to class 1.

The training is currently taking place near Runcorn but whilst I was on my Class 2 course the instructors stated that they were expanding the training and planning on opening more training schools in different parts of the country.

How do you rate them? I’ve not heard any feedback at all.

Maritime Transport has the Professional Driver Scheme in Cooperation with Scania but I don’t know anything about prices etc.

Edit: Missing words

Stobarts are planning to open in London and around Crick.

There is no question that they will take some work from traditional trainers. I believe that, for as long as we maintain our current standards, we don’t have too much to concern ourselves.

Time will tell.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Scania started offering training from a number of there sites last year I think I read in commercial motor or some similar magazine

scaniatrainingservices.co.uk … /#vehicles

I’m surprised the independent ones haven’t got together to start some form of association
But I would guess it’s like herding cats

Biggest thing they have going for them is brand recognition.

adam277:

Don’t agree.

The biggest thing they have going for them if they can give people a job after the course is done. And they don’t need to make a single penny from the training for it to be worthwhile for them.

Peter Smythe:
Stobarts are planning to open in London and around Crick.

There is no question that they will take some work from traditional trainers. I believe that, for as long as we maintain our current standards, we don’t have too much to concern ourselves.

Time will tell.

Pete.

I’ve been ‘aware’ of your training company for 30+yrs & we have actually met back in the days when I ran a scaffold Co’ & used to put a few lads thru class 2 with you.

Do you put the growth & success of your business down to the way you run it, is it a case of increased demand for LGV training, or a bit of both?

Do you put the growth & success of your business down to the way you run it, is it a case of increased demand for LGV training, or a bit of both?

Interesting. The training industry has been in steady decline for many years as is shown by the numbers of driving tests being taken in total throughout the UK.

I’m not arrogant enough to take sole credit for our growth and success though there has been an incredible amount of hard work, determination and personal sacrifice. I believe our growth has been largely due to recommendations from customers and the loyalty of our large corporate portfolio.

sammym:
The biggest thing they have going for them if they can give people a job after the course is done. And they don’t need to make a single penny from the training for it to be worthwhile for them.

The truth of that quote is the IF in the middle of the first sentence. Do the maths. ES operates 2,200 vehicles (according to it’s website). It currently has 4 (may have recently increased to 5) training vehicles. The capacity of those training vehicles is around 100 folks per vehicle per year (minimum). So they have a training capacity of 400 - 500 people each year.

Just how many vacancies do you really think exist?

And consider what happens to their drivers when they loose a large contract.

Having done the sums, if you truthfully believe that all trainees will be offered a job, I feel sorry for you. It simply aint gonna happen.

I believe that hauliers should haul and trainers should train. But perhaps that’s just me being old-fashioned again!!

Peter Smythe:

Interesting. The training industry has been in steady decline for many years as is shown by the numbers of driving tests being taken in total throughout the UK.

I’m not arrogant enough to take sole credit for our growth and success though there has been an incredible amount of hard work, determination and personal sacrifice. I believe our growth has been largely due to recommendations from customers and the loyalty of our large corporate portfolio.

So it’s down to you & the way you run it then.

I always thought that.

Peter Smythe:
Just how many vacancies do you really think exist?

And consider what happens to their drivers when they loose a large contract.

Having done the sums, if you truthfully believe that all trainees will be offered a job, I feel sorry for you. It simply aint gonna happen.

I believe that hauliers should haul and trainers should train. But perhaps that’s just me being old-fashioned again!!

I have no idea how many vacancies exist. But I don’t think it matters. In the army, they still train people when they don’t need soldiers because they know others will leave. In the nhs they still train people when there are no vacancies because they know people will leave. It’s in their interests to create more drivers - as it keeps the market saturated. And it keeps wages lower.

I haven’t done any sums. But you know a lot more about this than I do. So can I ask you - do you think Stobarts are going this so they can train drivers for other companies, and make a profit in the process? Or do you think they are looking to train for themselves? You know the people and the industry more than I ever will.

I’d agree that trainers will do a better job of training - because it’s the focus. But didn’t you yourself own a bus company and train bus drivers? Didn’t you also own a haulage company whilst training drivers? I’m not comparing you to stobarts - I’m more interested in why you don’t think they are compatible.

I have no idea how many vacancies exist. But I don’t think it matters. In the army, they still train people when they don’t need soldiers because they know others will leave. In the nhs they still train people when there are no vacancies because they know people will leave. It’s in their interests to create more drivers - as it keeps the market saturated. And it keeps wages lower.

I haven’t done any sums. But you know a lot more about this than I do. So can I ask you - do you think Stobarts are going this so they can train drivers for other companies, and make a profit in the process? Or do you think they are looking to train for themselves? You know the people and the industry more than I ever will.

I’d agree that trainers will do a better job of training - because it’s the focus. But didn’t you yourself own a bus company and train bus drivers? Didn’t you also own a haulage company whilst training drivers? I’m not comparing you to stobarts - I’m more interested in why you don’t think they are compatible.

Interesting point in your first paragraph. I hadn’t considered the possible benefit in swamping the market with drivers thus holding wages down. But I don’t think it’s right to compare with NHS or army as their numbers are huge in comparison.

ES’s stated objective is to offer training to other companies. But IMO this is flawed. ES is not generally loved and adored by the haulage industry so I’m not convinced that the industry will be rushing to fill ES’s coffers. But we’ll see.

I agree that trainers have the sole focus on training. Yes, in the 70’s I ran a small fleet (5) of coaches and one of these could be seen with L plates from time to time. Probably trained about 10 folks a year. The difference is that I already had 5 years instructional experience before this. And it became clear that it wasn’t a particularly clever mix.

I also ran some trucks on haulage in the 80’s. This was simply to keep my excellent team of trainers in work during the recession of 82. Come better times in 83, I was straight out of haulage and back to my first love - training. And I had the same excellent team as before the recession. Once again, not the happiest time. But it served it’s purpose.

It probably sounds as though I have a huge problem with ES training. I don’t. I have met Glen several times who is their examiner and also runs the job. I have been to their Warrington site at his invitation and have offered him advice at his request. Truthfully, if they moved in down the road from me, I’m not worried.

As I’ve said before, we’ll maintain our standards. And as long as that’s the case, no worries.

sammym:

adam277:

Don’t agree.

That’s another factor but any newbie is gonna type training companies into google and see stobart and instantly recognize them compared to say West Sussex HGV Training Company. Brand recognition means a lot its why some clothing companies can stick a tiny logo on a plan white t-shirt and charge £50. :grimacing:

That isnt that cheap. I paid around that for a reputable place round my way.

16 hours + test for both class 1 and 2

In my experience, if the customer service isn’t there then I don’t care :laughing:

adam277:

sammym:

adam277:

Don’t agree.

That’s another factor but any newbie is gonna type training companies into google and see stobart and instantly recognize them compared to say West Sussex HGV Training Company. Brand recognition means a lot its why some clothing companies can stick a tiny logo on a plan white t-shirt and charge £50. :grimacing:

Point taken!!!

Which is why I’ve just spent on £170 on a snooper from amazon warehouse, over a £40 ebay special. Snooper seems crap in comparison to my tomtotm car satnav. But it does have a builtin dashcam and it’s got a “brand” behind it. We can all be suckered into brand names. Will try it tomorrow before some hiking in the peak district - if it’s truly crap it’s going back.

Personally - I think on here Peter Smythe is the premier brand name. They were amazing with me and I have lots of love for them. Stobarts are the mass produced option in my opinion.

sammym:
They don’t need to make any money out of the training - and sadly can afford to lose money if it gives them the drivers they need. Possibly this is the first signs that there might be a driver shortage. Or perhaps they are worried about recruiting drivers post brexit day. But I doubt they are doing it out of generosity.

I doubt Stobarts will be running their training at a loss for long, it might be a loss leader for a short while to get the name out there and build up market share, but Stobarts have been known to go into new markets for them and leave after a few years if it doesn’t make the sort of returns that the shareholders hoped for, they won’t want an operation on the books that looks bad in the annual report. Maybe for them it’s a way of sweating assets, as they already had an internal training operation.

According to thier website, they don’t actually guarantee all trainees a job offer, they guarantee them an interview, there is a difference, it means they don’t have to give trainees a job, but it is a good marketing gimmick.

In the same way there are still many haulage companies still operating and many who are far larger than Stobarts, in fact on 2017 figures Stobarts Logistics are only the 9th largest in the UK and pale in size compared to DHL, XPO or Wincanton with less than half the turnover or staff than any of those companies, I doubt Stobarts would completely dominate the training market, just gain a market share.