Are big companies going to take over HGV training?

muckles:

sammym:
They don’t need to make any money out of the training - and sadly can afford to lose money if it gives them the drivers they need. Possibly this is the first signs that there might be a driver shortage. Or perhaps they are worried about recruiting drivers post brexit day. But I doubt they are doing it out of generosity.

I doubt Stobarts will be running their training at a loss for long, it might be a loss leader for a short while to get the name out there and build up market share, but Stobarts have been known to go into new markets for them and leave after a few years if it doesn’t make the sort of returns that the shareholders hoped for, they won’t want an operation on the books that looks bad in the annual report. Maybe for them it’s a way of sweating assets, as they already had an internal training operation.

According to thier website, they don’t actually guarantee all trainees a job offer, they guarantee them an interview, there is a difference, it means they don’t have to give trainees a job, but it is a good marketing gimmick.

In the same way there are still many haulage companies still operating and many who are far larger than Stobarts, in fact on 2017 figures Stobarts Logistics are only the 9th largest in the UK and pale in size compared to DHL, XPO or Wincanton with less than half the turnover or staff than any of those companies, I doubt Stobarts would completely dominate the training market, just gain a market share.

And that’s the dishonest bit in my eyes. How surprised am I? Not at all but try telling the elves their ■■■■■■■■■ is as bent as the rest who at least don’t present themselves as Gods’ gift to transport and paragons of virtue.