Just passed my class one

Just passed my class one and every company that are looking for experience how can you get experience if no one will give u a chance is there any companies in glass that take on new drivers thanks

Dougie2016:
Just passed my class one and every company that are looking for experience how can you get experience if no one will give u a chance is there any companies in glass that take on new drivers thanks

Congratulations on the pass.

I’m finding the same thing too passed back in November. I’m on Indeed and reed think both are useless or of course my C.V is [zb] as I’ve put my C.V forward for about 15 jobs before Christmas and not one email back.

RayW:

Dougie2016:

Congratulations on the pass.

I’m finding the same thing too passed back in November. I’m on Indeed and reed think both are useless or of course my C.V is [zb] as I’ve put my C.V forward for about 15 jobs before Christmas and not one email back.

CV by hand to the person who hires or sent :question:

Just a heads up, I was in me 50 s when passing and done what Rog said walked into firms after 2 mnths agency, and got taken on in a haulage firm 15 mins from home, day tramper class 2 . Left alone phone never rings love it. He has also taken on 2 new passes within the 2 years I have been here class 1. and another newbie on the 2. But I am right down in the south east. Keep going I’m sure you will find a firm soon.

Thanks i give that a go chapping on doors

Put what area you are looking for work in,I’m sure some on here will know if firms in your area taking on newbies.

There is little substitute for knocking on doors. Its been the case for years in this job. Emails are too easily overlooked, whereas a person stood in front of you demands a conversation at the very least.

Monday mornings seem to be prime time, when someone has just rung in sick. They can either phone an agency or use you. If you look fit and healthy, chances are you’ll get a start.

It really isn’t as bad as it may sound though don’t expect to get a full time permanent gig straight away.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’m quite lucky in that the firm I drive for on Class 2 are moving me up to class 1 in a couple of weeks, but I know of another company in my area that would take me on as a new pass. It’s the company my uncle works for as was basically told the job was mine if I wanted it. The point I’m making is ask around, use word of mouth. Maybe you have family or friends/acquaintances in the industry.

The knocking on doors advice is great as well, because I know the place with vacancies I’ve just spoken of hasn’t advertised online, but they are on the lookout for drivers. Try smaller firms and family firms especially.

All the best

Type haulage companies near me in to Google & you will get a list pop up. No harm in testing the waters with the ones that interest you :-'). Best of luck!

Thanks I try that on google not a lot of company are willing to to take on a new pass every company that are advertising are minimum of two years

Dougie2016:
Thanks I try that on google not a lot of company are willing to to take on a new pass every company that are advertising are minimum of two years

Have you tied Gist and XPO at Eurocentral? I know for a fact they will wave the 2 year experience requirement. Friend of mines been driving for 6 months he got a start a Gist then went to XPO to do the Argos work.

G

I didn’t try gist because there advert said minimum 2 years experience and the trading company I went with had a leaflet for gist and it said minimum of 2 years so never look into it

Try JHP in Lanark they’re always looking for drivers.
If you don’t mind dirty work you could also try Oakbank Waste Management in Dumfries. They keep some trucks in Motherwell. I speak to some of their drivers at the abattoirs and they give newbies a chance.

harrawaffa:

Dougie2016:

Have you tied Gist and XPO at Eurocentral? I know for a fact they will wave the 2 year experience requirement. Friend of mines been driving for 6 months he got a start a Gist then went to XPO to do the Argos work.

I was told in November that Gist would take on new passes (especially coming up to Christmas). I spoke to a friendly chap there who said that they couldn’t take on new passes and told me to come back when I had at least 6 months under my belt.

I am driving class 1 now (containers) but I had to jump through hoops to get it.