Driving assessment

Hi guys,
Passed my test in November last year. Today I went for my first interview and as long as I pass my driving assessment I have the job.
Absolutely buzzing for it. Just wondered if anybody could let me know a little more of what is required of you on your driving assessment. They said it would basically be a casual drive, nothing like your practical test.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

These drives vary enormously. But, whatever you do, make sure you do a walk round check. And, although it may not be a driving test, stick to what you were taught and that should be very acceptable. Either that or the assessor needs retraining!

A “casual” drive should always be more relaxed - but is not an excuse for sloppy driving. So please don’t slip into that.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

If it’s class 1 you might have to hitch up and you may have to back onto a loading bay but depends on what type of work it is. Just drive in a relaxed manner no hard braking, no harsh acceleration, plenty of mirrors and generally make the assessor feel at ease and you’ll pass . Good luck.

Thanks very much for advice guys. Appreciate it. [emoji1303]

Mine was casual. I did a trial day and at the end drive back to depot. Tbh think it was mostly to see that I wasn’t an accident waiting to happen.

But I can believe it varies vastly by company and also by the person you have assessing you that day.

IronEddie:
Mine was casual. I did a trial day and at the end drive back to depot. Tbh think it was mostly to see that I wasn’t an accident waiting to happen.

But I can believe it varies vastly by company and also by the person you have assessing you that day.

Cheers for info mate [emoji1303]

I had one just a few days after passing my class C with flying colours last February. I drove exactly as I had done on my test observing all speed limits and road signs. On returning to the yard I carried out a perfect reverse and was confident that I had driven to the required standard. I should add that prior to taking my lgv test I had 25 years experience of driving buses and coaches.
I was totally shocked not to mention feeling very aggrieved to be told by the assessor that my driving wasn’t up to the required standard !
I can only assume that my face didn’t fit or that the assessor took a dislike to me as a mid 50’s newbie with a lot more driving experience than he had ?
He said the company “only employ the best” but with respect many of their drivers look like tramps and have no idea how to use a roundabout properly and drive well above the speed limits.
Since then I was offered a class c job with another local firm ( who are more than happy with my performance )

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA B3 8 TABLET using Tapatalk

hi

I used to just look for a safe, confident drive, I 'd be quite happy to show the assessee all the controls and what they did, so if you’re unfamiliar with what you’re given to drive , ask for a run through with it, don’t try and blag it, nothing worse than stopping an assessment half way through and driving it back yourself cuz the geezer cant work out what’s where. expect some reversing and parking exercises. do they know you’re new driver if not I suggest you let them know. I know this might sound a bit stupid but ask if its loaded or empty, i once took a geezer out and he couldn’t get a fully loaded 18 tonner going, kept changing up too early, then wondered why it wouldn’t pull. if its a manual box and you passed on an auto , put your hand up straight away, you wont blag an 8 speed range change, I had a supposed agency artic driver in a scania p93 8 speed , couldn’t get it out of 4th, turned out he’d only driven auto’s. he’ll ask questions on all sorts of stuff, but just remember its not your test, he’ll just be making sure you can drive safely,legally and not trash the truck or anybody around it. if in doubt ask , I took a driver out on an FL10 artic he did look a bit dubious , but we carried on , he did a good drive , but when it came to reversing , shocking, as it turned out after a chat, he’d only ever driver drawbars for the MOD, and Fodens at that , dead simple Volvo’s were a bit of a mystery to him, he was the best driver I ever took on, eventually became a driver trainer.
hope this helps

tony

As Peter said, the walk around checks, and check the horn is working, enough water in the wash bottle for the windscreen.
There may be a test on tacho and Wtd rules.
Multiple choice on paper or a verbal test .
Depending what type of vehicle, if it is tractor unit, raise up the suspension on the rear axle to get a good view of the rear tires for damage or tread wear.

Modern trucks have electronic dip sticks to check the engine oil level, scroll the menu on the dash .

Get the seat right in a comfortable position before leaving the yard and adjust all the mirrors and famalirise yourself with all the controls, no need to rush, take as long as you want.
Check if the Operating License is valid.
On my assessment, he hid the Abs lead on the back of the cab .

Good post tonj105.

We just take people out with the TM, who used to drive for us years back. We aren’t a big firm, so we don’t have someone employed as just an assessor! If you passed your test recently as Tony says, ask if something is unfamiliar to you. You will not have covered every variable. In our book, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid actions that could have been prevented had someone piped up.

Take it steady is my best advice. Good luck.

Assessor’s vary so much it’s hard to say but myself for example will try and put the potential new colleague at ease, some chit chat about experience, answers some job questions, perhaps some small talk about family etc.
Prior to popular belief I won’t tie you up on the bunk… :wink:

Basically if I’ve done my job right you should be more relaxed than when we first met.
There will be no tricks or trying to catch you out.

Depending on time constraints I will inform you if I’ve checked the vehicle but would you like to double check. Or I will say I haven’t checked the vehicle we can do it together.

Anyway it will be a short 15 to 30 minute drive, bit of A road bit of DC back to yard then reverse into a slot. As long as I don’t scream all’s normally good.

Once back bit more chit chat then ill tie you up and pop you on the bunk, seriously though once jobs done I will call office with a quick verbal report then drop in an email later.

I will know before hand if your a new pass or experienced driver and assesment will be based on that info.

I will never insult your driving, after all I could be working with you for years.

Dipper Dave has beaten me to it! A good assessor will put you at ease; that produces the best outcome and less nail biting and bum clenching moments!

I carry out pre-employment assessments for operators from time to time and I always look for a decent walk around check. If that hasn’t happened, I’m going to struggle. As above, very happy to help with vehicle familiarisation and answer any reasonable question about the vehicle.

I will include some parking at the end - but it wont be particularly difficult if I know the person is a new driver. But when someone comes along who has been there, done that etc etc, I will make it more interesting. It also tells me if the person is creative with the truth!

There are so many variables but the base line is a safe, reasonably confident drive showing respect for the vehicle and other road users.

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I will be watching this topic as I have an interview and assessment next week. I contacted a company that has a huge range of Class C vehicles from bin trucks, tippers, skips and vacs. I’m really apprehensive as it’s my first driving job but looking forward to it. They know Im a newly passed Class C. Is there anything that a driver should be asking? What About daily checks, would you be seen as trouble to ask to do walk round checks even if the assessor has said they have been completed? Or would they do that to catch you out to see if you would take their word and not check? Am I over thinking it all? Going for an assessment/interview what is the best to wear? Smart casual? I’m coming from a nursing background so it’s always been suit and tie lol
Cheers
Paul

I would always do the walk round check Paul.

If you are going to be doing driving, I’d not wear a suit and tie. Smart casual is fine.

tonyj105:
hi

I used to just look for a safe, confident drive, I 'd be quite happy to show the assessee all the controls and what they did, so if you’re unfamiliar with what you’re given to drive , ask for a run through with it, don’t try and blag it, nothing worse than stopping an assessment half way through and driving it back yourself cuz the geezer cant work out what’s where. expect some reversing and parking exercises. do they know you’re new driver if not I suggest you let them know. I know this might sound a bit stupid but ask if its loaded or empty, i once took a geezer out and he couldn’t get a fully loaded 18 tonner going, kept changing up too early, then wondered why it wouldn’t pull. if its a manual box and you passed on an auto , put your hand up straight away, you wont blag an 8 speed range change, I had a supposed agency artic driver in a scania p93 8 speed , couldn’t get it out of 4th, turned out he’d only driven auto’s. he’ll ask questions on all sorts of stuff, but just remember its not your test, he’ll just be making sure you can drive safely,legally and not trash the truck or anybody around it. if in doubt ask , I took a driver out on an FL10 artic he did look a bit dubious , but we carried on , he did a good drive , but when it came to reversing , shocking, as it turned out after a chat, he’d only ever driver drawbars for the MOD, and Fodens at that , dead simple Volvo’s were a bit of a mystery to him, he was the best driver I ever took on, eventually became a driver trainer.
hope this helps

tony

Thanks for your info [emoji1303]

Dipper_Dave:
Assessor’s vary so much it’s hard to say but myself for example will try and put the potential new colleague at ease, some chit chat about experience, answers some job questions, perhaps some small talk about family etc.
Prior to popular belief I won’t tie you up on the bunk… :wink:

Basically if I’ve done my job right you should be more relaxed than when we first met.
There will be no tricks or trying to catch you out.

Depending on time constraints I will inform you if I’ve checked the vehicle but would you like to double check. Or I will say I haven’t checked the vehicle we can do it together.

Anyway it will be a short 15 to 30 minute drive, bit of A road bit of DC back to yard then reverse into a slot. As long as I don’t scream all’s normally good.

Once back bit more chit chat then ill tie you up and pop you on the bunk, seriously though once jobs done I will call office with a quick verbal report then drop in an email later.

I will know before hand if your a new pass or experienced driver and assesment will be based on that info.

I will never insult your driving, after all I could be working with you for years.

Thanks mate. Really useful information [emoji1303]

Peter Smythe:
Dipper Dave has beaten me to it! A good assessor will put you at ease; that produces the best outcome and less nail biting and bum clenching moments!

I carry out pre-employment assessments for operators from time to time and I always look for a decent walk around check. If that hasn’t happened, I’m going to struggle. As above, very happy to help with vehicle familiarisation and answer any reasonable question about the vehicle.

I will include some parking at the end - but it wont be particularly difficult if I know the person is a new driver. But when someone comes along who has been there, done that etc etc, I will make it more interesting. It also tells me if the person is creative with the truth!

There are so many variables but the base line is a safe, reasonably confident drive showing respect for the vehicle and other road users.

Good luck all, Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Good info thanks mate [emoji1303]

If the assessor has told you he/she has checked so you don’t have to, my advice is you check it too on the walk around check.
As for interview attire, pack the smart suit and tie in the car boot.
On arrival, you will get a feel of how they operate, wear smart casual if that’s how they roll .
Going for an interview/assessment is not being shot at dawn .
A decent firm will relax you and turn in to fun with some banter to break the ice.

Also if the guy is a total bell-end then just let him know; these types of positions can attract a holes.
Chances are if the guy is a tool then the company wont be much better.