New driver thoughts

So I passed my class 2 in November and thought I would jot down some of my thoughts and ideas. I’d love to know what some of you experienced drivers think.

Ideas

1. WTD/Drivers hours
They should be a) simplified? b) more training given so that new drivers start with a better understanding. I’ve no doubt that after a while it will seem daft they I ever found it hard to get to grips with it all, but if I have to use an app to get a better overview of when I can and can’t work/drive then something is off.

2. Tacho training
Maybe some basic taco training should be part of CPC too? I felt like a ■■■ on my first day spending time fiddling with my tacho and re-googling what the bloody symbols meant. Maybe even training should require a card so you can get used to using it.

3. Better inductions by companies
I didn’t know what ECAS was, let alone how it worked, of what ad-blu was or where it went. Don’t teach me to ■■■■ eggs and say “this is a steering wheel. When you move it, it changes the direction of the wheels”, but if I say, “I’m new to this” or “I’ve never driven ” give us a quick walk around.

4. Don’t be afraid to speak
Somewhat related to 3: use your voice. If you’re unsure, ask. Everybody was new once, and they’ve all been in our situation. If you feel the company/agency you work for might sack you for not knowing how something works, they probably aren’t worth working for anyway.

5. Standardised minimum wage.
It’s cost me a fair bit of money to get my class 2. From medicals, theories, CPC, training and test it’s not cheap…

Yet my mate is only on 20p p/h less for driving a reach truck round the LIDL warehouse. The skill and cost involved should be reflected in our wages.

Essential things to stick in your bag

1. Spare tacho rolls (didn’t know it was an offence!)
  2. A truckers atlas
  3. A way to charge your phone, especially if you’re listening to your own music and using it as a sat-nav
  4. Water
  5. Food
  6. Time sheets
  7. Paper copy of office details (in case your phone is rendered useless
  8. Pens. Lot’s and lots of pens. Then few more for good measure
  9. A note book/diary/pad of paper. Something you can write on with said pens if you need to.
  10. Work gloves

Nice things to have in your bag

1. Some entertainment. Staring at the arse of another truck for 45 minutes can be boring. I have videos downloaded and ready to watch and a bunch of games I can play on my break. Bring what you like.
  2. Bluetooth headphones. Better than having wires caught in your seatbelt :wink:

Cab essentials

Being an agency driver, I’m loathe to build up much cab gear, so this is a combined list of stuff I do keep and plan to keep in the cab whenever I’m lucky enough the have a permanent job with a regular unit.

1. More tacho rolls
  2. More pens
  3. A few litres of ad-blue
  4. Screen wash
  5. Glass cleaner
  6. Clean rags for wiping, mopping and drying
  7. High-vis coat
  8. Another pair of gloves
  9. Jumper/jacket

Thoughts
So far, driving is about what I expected and wanted. It’s better pay than any job I’ve ever had (but I’ve always been a lazy ■■■■ and worked dead-end, easy jobs), and I’m not staring at the same ■■■■ all day every day. I’m only 2-and-a-bit months into it, so I’m still in the honeymoon phase, but I’m actually enjoying my job to the point where I bother going in early, which for me is a big deal :smiley:

You can’t plan around it to well… traffic is unpredictable. Some nights the stars align, I’m loaded and tipped quickly, roads are clear and I work 7 hours, others I might work 10-12. This will swing wildly for day drivers unless you get set routes.

I work nights and right now, it suits me. I put my headphones on and I’m set. It’s not for everybody but it’s a great way to build experience. You may have to take ■■■■■■■■ jobs than I’ve been fortunate to land, as a new pass you’ll have to ■■■■ it up for a few months. It’s worth it, but don’t sell yourself short.

Nobody wants to commute an 1.5 hours a day for £9p/h. Be upfront about what you want if registering for an agency. If you say “I’ll do anything to get experience” but then turn down gigs for reasons x, y and z, it looks bad. I told my agency I didn’t want multi-drop 7.5t work and it had to be reasonably close to home because I wasn’t commuting 25 miles on my bike in the snow. It didn’t faze them and I was in work the next day.

Don’t drive yet?
Driving isn’t easy. Some of my mates take the ■■■■ because I’m “sat on my arse driving a wagon” but the constant road attention required can be exhausting, especially if you’re coming from a background where you don’t drive a lot, be prepared. It can also be physically demanding if you’re required to do things like handball 9 pallets off a truck because there is no FLT available :cry:

My point is, if you’re looking for easy money, this line of work probably isn’t for you because, to get to the easy jobs that do exist, you need to graft and get experience first.

You drive with headphones on?

xichrisxi:

Yup. The radio is crap and only seems to pick up depressionFM, and whilst there is supposed to be an aux port in the truck I usually drive, I can’t for the life of me find it anywhere.

_jamieb:

1. WTD/Drivers hours
    They should be a) simplified? b) more training given so that new drivers start with a better understanding. I’ve no doubt that after a while it will seem daft they I ever found it hard to get to grips with it all, but if I have to use an app to get a better overview of when I can and can’t work/drive then something is off.

2. Tacho training
    Maybe some basic taco training should be part of CPC too? I felt like a ■■■ on my first day spending time fiddling with my tacho and re-googling what the bloody symbols meant. Maybe even training should require a card so you can get used to using it.

1. easily rectified by making mod 2 a test on that issue

2. if that was also part of mod 4 then that would be sorted - using examiner/trainer testing digicard with training by schools prior to that test

As I understand it, when doing periodic training things like drivers hours/reg changes is a module, so why it wouldn’t be in the initial CPC baffles me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It always puzzles me when people say there should be more drivers hours training for new drivers, I’m pretty sure there’s plenty of training about if you’re prepared to pay for it.

Alternatively, study the regulations and use forums like this one to ask questions about anything you don’t understand, frankly anyone who thinks they’re going to learn the drivers hours and working time regulations on a days course is, in my opinion at-least, living in cloud cuckoo land, so why pay for something you can get free on the internet.

_jamieb:
As I understand it, when doing periodic training things like drivers hours/reg changes is a module, so why it wouldn’t be in the initial CPC baffles me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too especially as the silly scenario mod 2 could easily be changed to a test on the regs

_jamieb:

xichrisxi:

Yup. The radio is crap and only seems to pick up depressionFM, and whilst there is supposed to be an aux port in the truck I usually drive, I can’t for the life of me find it anywhere.

I often listen to audio books find the time goes quicker.

The OP makes some very valid points. Yes, the drivers’ hours/tachos should be part of Mod 2 which would effectively make it compulsory training. We supply a half day course in the subject to all our new CAT C starters as part of our Starter Pack.

Adblue really ought to be covered during the practical training as part of the walk round checks. And even if the training vehicle doesn’t have adblue, it could still be easily mentioned.

As for wages, don’t get me started… I’m very much on the side of huge pay increases within the industry to reflect the responsibility involved. There are a few employers who are getting the idea, but they are very much in the minority. Wages are creeping up - but far too slowly IMO.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
As for wages, don’t get me started… I’m very much on the side of huge pay increases within the industry to reflect the responsibility involved.

That sort of implies there is an opposite camp who don’t think wages should go up. :confused:

adam277:

_jamieb:

xichrisxi:

I often listen to audio books find the time goes quicker.

I tried audiobooks but didn’t really get into it; guess I just prefer my own internal monologue and pace. I was thinking of learning another language but don’t fancy the mental taxation of doing that and driving.

_jamieb:

Peter Smythe:
As for wages, don’t get me started… I’m very much on the side of huge pay increases within the industry to reflect the responsibility involved.

That sort of implies there is an opposite camp who don’t think wages should go up. :confused:

Most definitely is a huge amount of none drivers who think wages are more then enough. Usually TMs and warehouse folk :stuck_out_tongue:

Deffinately can’t have too many pens. The spares tacho rolls or lack of being an offence surprised me to.

I’d have liked practical training on use of the digi card and tacho prior to my first job.
Drivers hours I’d researched to death myself so never been as bothered by that.

Agreed it’s hard work and those outside this industry don’t understand that.

I’m not gonna turn down a pay rise.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agree with your post about not enough training prior to being let loose (hours regs etc,not practical driving side same in a car).
BUT just how much training is expected to be given? If you expected enough training to be able to so the job it would take at least 6 months the reason I say that is as long as the newbie has a grasp of hours WTD etc forgive me for being an old bugger who like most of the old hands on here got their training out on the road.
Years ago it was called experience only earned through actually (don’t be shocked snowflakes) DOING the job not expecting people to hold your hand every day.
You only learn by making mistakes (me included you have to ■■■■ it up to learn) I’m not the best driver there are better on here but I’m not the worst,drove class 1&2 for 17 years prior to jacking it to drive a sprinter for virtually the same money.
I might get grief for the post but there you go

Jeff.