Newbie from central Scotland

Happy new year everyone,

I’m 22 from central Scotland. I’m looking to do my C and C+E license. I’m looking to do it all auto. Can anyone recommend any schools?

What are my chances of gaining employment after?

One more question for now… what does a class 1 tramped make ideally as a tipper driver?

Thanks in advance.

Fraser1234:
Happy new year everyone,

I’m 22 from central Scotland. I’m looking to do my C and C+E license. I’m looking to do it all auto. Can anyone recommend any schools?

Thanks in advance.

Ritchies in Glasgow. I done both with them and passed both 1st time. Instructors were brilliant.

You won’t be short of work in the central belt. There are distribution centres for most major retailers all up and down the M8 corridor and 3 rail freight heads. There is work for the taking. People like Menzies will take on new passes through agencies too.

I haven’t been short of work since passing my class 1 in October and it doesn’t look like slowing up any time soon either. It may be different for class 2 though after new year as I hear it gets a bit barron for the rigids.

Check out the link in my signature below

rabb:

Fraser1234:
Happy new year everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Ritchies in Glasgow. I done both with them and passed both 1st time. Instructors were brilliant.

You won’t be short of work in the central belt. There are distribution centres for most major retailers all up and down the M8 corridor and 3 rail freight heads. There is work for the taking. People like Menzies will take on new passes through agencies too.

I haven’t been short of work since passing my class 1 in October and it doesn’t look like slowing up any time soon either. It may be different for class 2 though after new year as I hear it gets a bit barron for the rigids.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you know if Ritches offer auto courses?

ROG:
Check out the link in my signature below

Thanks I will check it out.

Fraser1234:

rabb:

Fraser1234:
Happy new year everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Yes, they just bought a fleet of brand new auto Volvos in October. The entire C and CE fleet are auto now.

rabb:

Fraser1234:

rabb:

Fraser1234:
Happy new year everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Yes, they just bought a fleet of brand new auto Volvos in October. The entire C and CE fleet are auto now.

Brilliant thanks, I’ve emailed them for a quote.

I have just completed my Class C with Ritchies. They are a well oiled machine and they all seem to get on. I waited because i knew they where getting their new fleet of Volvos as that made the learning so much easier. I was about £1350 for Class C in November but i think they may do a deal if you where to book both C and CE,
Cheers Paul

NPABU:
I have just completed my Class C with Ritchies. They are a well oiled machine and they all seem to get on. I waited because i knew they where getting their new fleet of Volvos as that made the learning so much easier. I was about £1350 for Class C in November but i think they may do a deal if you where to book both C and CE,
Cheers Paul

I’ve emailed them so I will see what the best price they can do it for.

All the big Scottish training firms like Ritchie’s, GTG, TTS, Jim Mair etc. will take between £1300 and £1600 off you for a four day training course with test on day 5. If you’re happy paying that then they all offer much the same service with generally decent quality training and kit.

However, you can save an absolute fortune by going over to Belfast for a week and doing it there. Generally speaking you’d be looking at half the price. The same four day set up with test on day 5 is available through Swift and North City for under £700.

I did Class 2 in Scotland then Class 1 in Belfast and would say I found the instructors over there more laid back and easy going (that won’t necessarily suit everyone) and the road conditions in Belfast much easier than Glasgow. Factor in coach return from Glasgow at £50 (it’s very pricey to take your car) and five nights BnB at £30 a night and you’ll still save over £500 against doing it locally.

As stated above there’s plenty of work available along the M8 corridor. If you’re having bother getting started as a new pass there are decent agencies like Sure Scotland and TTS 24/7 that will get you a foot in the door to gain experience.

Best of luck.

Telt:
…and the road conditions in Belfast much easier than Glasgow.

Why would that be a good thing? I took an artic through Glasgow city centre whilst training and it certainly sharpened the mind. The more difficult the training routes, the better prepared you are for the real world. I found having to boss my way through the city centre competing with taxis and buses for space and stradling lanes was invaluable.

Fraser1234:

NPABU:
Cheers Paul

I’ve emailed them so I will see what the best price they can do it for.

Prices are on their website

rabb:

Telt:
…and the road conditions in Belfast much easier than Glasgow.

Why would that be a good thing? I took an artic through Glasgow city centre whilst training and it certainly sharpened the mind. The more difficult the training routes, the better prepared you are for the real world. I found having to boss my way through the city centre competing with taxis and buses for space and stradling lanes was invaluable.

It isn’t necessarily. It depends on what the OP is looking for. Some people might take the view it’s best to just have the easiest set up possible for your test just to get through without having to shell out for a resit then learn the awkward stuff on the job.

There’s no rights and wrongs to that kind of stuff though - all just personal preference. I spent most of my class 2 test sitting in heavy rush hour traffic. It was great. Ran the clock down a treat.

rabb:

Fraser1234:
Happy new year everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Is that you driving class 1 now mate?

Vernon1987:

rabb:

Fraser1234:
Happy new year everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Is that you driving class 1 now mate?

It is mate. Loving it :slight_smile:

Been doing container work at the rail heads in Freightliner Coatbridge & DB Schenker in Mossend. I’ve now been in and out of all the major DC’s in the M8 corridor (Morrisons, Sainsburys, Tesco, Co-op, NISA DHL). I should have done it years ago. How are you doing? You on class 1 now?

Nice one dude how did you bag that one? I’m going to be looking for class 1 shortly any tips for our area? I have a mainline train driving license andi believe freightliner are recruiting in that area.

Vernon1987:
Nice one dude how did you bag that one? I’m going to be looking for class 1 shortly any tips for our area? I have a mainline train driving license andi believe freightliner are recruiting in that area.

Right place at the right time mate with a dash of persistence :smiley:

Not sure what the situation is with Freightliner. I’ve been driving with John G Russell in Coatbridge.

Great bunch of lads and all willing to help me get on.

Telt:
All the big Scottish training firms like Ritchie’s, GTG, TTS, Jim Mair etc. will take between £1300 and £1600 off you for a four day training course with test on day 5. If you’re happy paying that then they all offer much the same service with generally decent quality training and kit.

However, you can save an absolute fortune by going over to Belfast for a week and doing it there. Generally speaking you’d be looking at half the price. The same four day set up with test on day 5 is available through Swift and North City for under £700.

I did Class 2 in Scotland then Class 1 in Belfast and would say I found the instructors over there more laid back and easy going (that won’t necessarily suit everyone) and the road conditions in Belfast much easier than Glasgow. Factor in coach return from Glasgow at £50 (it’s very pricey to take your car) and five nights BnB at £30 a night and you’ll still save over £500 against doing it locally.

As stated above there’s plenty of work available along the M8 corridor. If you’re having bother getting started as a new pass there are decent agencies like Sure Scotland and TTS 24/7 that will get you a foot in the door to gain experience.

Best of luck.

An interesting option there! Worth thinking about, saving a shed load of cash and spending a week in a new city. Leave your Cellic/Gers scarves at hame!

Fraser1234:
Happy new year everyone,

One more question for now… what does a class 1 tramped make ideally as a tipper driver?

Thanks in advance.

I’m in the same position. With GTG to sit theory and tests but unsure what to do after that…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk