quick question

Are HGV training costs tax deductible in the uk? I asked this question once before but got no answer Wayne Robinson Calgary canada

You might be better off finding the British accountancy equivalent of this forum and asking or even directly contact a British accountancy firm.

My gut feeling is no it isn’t tax deductable for most people but there will be exceptions. Again probably better to find out from an accountant.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It depends on what you mean by tax deductible.

If you drive for a living and are self-employed you could certainly put it down as an expense. If you were an agency driver then it would be pretty sensible to do so if self-employed. If you set yourself up as VAT registered you could get the VAT back as well - although that’s not likely relevant for a driver.

If you are a driver who works for a company on PAYE then you won’t be able to claim it back.

Thank you very much for your timely replies I did my HGV and Psv in 1974 and it wasn’t then. I was referring to the normal employee like myself not self employed and not having a registered company . Over here it is deductible you just would have to attach a receipt to your annual tax return. I did a couple of courses over here in the 1980 s which I paid for myself which were tax deductible . I m horrified what new drivers have to pay out and go through to get on the road in the UK. I did my class 1 with british school of motoring in leeds in 1974 cost about 150 quid if my memory serves me right.

I don’t think you can claim for the cost of training but you can claim for things like a the cpc card, renewal medical etc

a bit more info below

https://rebaterabbit.co.uk/2014/01/17/lorry-driver-tax-rebate/

robinswh:
I m horrified what new drivers have to pay out and go through to get on the road in the UK. I did my class 1 with british school of motoring in leeds in 1974 cost about 150 quid if my memory serves me right.

It’s deffinately expensive. To get my class 2 I must have spent near £2k when I factor in the medical and theory tests.

That said compared to training to get in other careers it’s pretty cheap.

IronEddie:

robinswh:
I m horrified what new drivers have to pay out and go through to get on the road in the UK. I did my class 1 with british school of motoring in leeds in 1974 cost about 150 quid if my memory serves me right.

It’s deffinately expensive. To get my class 2 I must have spent near £2k when I factor in the medical and theory tests.

Wow £2000 just to get class C.
Well for me all in to get Class C. Probably just topping £1000 that’s including theory hazard perception medical a drive down to Chelmsford just for chat and assessment drive and the hotel is in that too.
Then C+E was another £1150 ish all in and that’s including cpc.
It was wagon an drag so I then did a little course to artic.
I should say that I used to be a yard Shunter. A few years ago.

RayW:

IronEddie:

robinswh:

Wow £2000 just to get class C.
Well for me all in to get Class C. Probably just topping £1000 that’s including theory hazard perception medical a drive down to Chelmsford just for chat and assessment drive and the hotel is in that too.
Then C+E was another £1150 ish all in and that’s including cpc.
It was wagon an drag so I then did a little course to artic.
I should say that I used to be a yard Shunter. A few years ago.

Turns out the off the top of my head figure is a wild exaggeration. I’ve just totted it up. From medical and theory tests, cpc, revision materials and the practical training and test I’ve paid £1443.

To be honest even at two grand I’d think it worth it. That investment in training has seen my salary increase by over £10k a year in going from my old non driving job to the driving job I now have.

I put everything through my ltd company…so medical, theory, lessons, tests, cpc…

No comebacks so for me all tax deductible…Accountant did not bat an eye!