Do I VOR...horn not working

So around 18 months driving Class 1 now and still learning but slowly getting there.

So Royal Mail give around 25 mins to do your checks. One thing I do after putting in my card is checking wipers, washers and horn whilst in the cab.

Horn not working…try try and try again…flipping heck this is a 67 plate unit a couple of months old at most.

Walking back to transport office to maybe VOR it (that’s vehicle off road)…I asked another driver and he says has the air built up??

Well I never, did not know the horn is attached to the air…and there you have it once the air built up the horn started working…good old DAF.

Talking about horns…was driving a nearly new Mercedes the other day and the horn was weaker than my first Nissan Micra never mind 4 steps to get to the cab I mean 4 steps and 6 feet up in the air…kind of getting used to a couple of steps in the DAF.

When you’ve got a loud horn you know that it’s linked to the air pressure same as your seat brakes suspension your Mercedes must have a non air horn obviously. nothing worst than having a defect when your wanting to get off

If it doesn’t work or is unsafe VOR.
See too many drivers take out trucks that are dangerous just so they can get home a little earlier or to brown nose the boss.

why take the risk .Do it.

I’m glad you got it sorted, but to answer your question…

A working horn is a legal requirement, so if it’s not working, it’s defo VOR until it’s fixed and IMHO there’s no question about it.

It’s certainly an inconvenience to the boss, but if a non functioning horn were discovered by police/DVSA in a roadside check, you’d get a prohibition straight away, and then it would be far more inconvenient to the boss.

dieseldave:
I’m glad you got it sorted, but to answer your question…

A working horn is a legal requirement, so if it’s not working, it’s defo VOR until it’s fixed and IMHO there’s no question about it.

It’s certainly an inconvenience to the boss, but if a non functioning horn were discovered by police/DVSA in a roadside check, you’d get a prohibition straight away, and then it would be far more inconvenient to the boss.

Totally appreciate your comments and for me even after 18 months of driving did not click to me at all and wanted to share my experience…did not even know what VOR meant until after a few months of proper driving…

Out of curiosity, here comes a scenario.

You work for me and as is the habit, you had a quiet week last week, bimbling around, this week is a long week and you are abroad.

Due to the nature of the load:

You have a co driver
A plan has gone into various government agencies
There is only one port you can use, but a booking needs to be made a few days in advance.
If you don’t make that sailing, the whole thing slides back a week and because there is enough work planned, a subbie will have to do it.
We can’t hire in another vehicle because they aren’t standard and being a small company, you know the other four artics are out.

In the real world would you VOR it? I’m quite happy with the legality of it, but I’m curious with that much knock on effect and the loss of a lot of overtime (for little actual work), if you would still do the same?

No criticism intended, whatever the reply :slight_smile:

Well, I’m just heading out on a removals tour, all the parking permits are organised, lift teams and external lifts booked for the Paris and Brussels jobs; half a dozen customers around Europe are relying on me to stick to my schedule, and as usual my timetable has absolutely no air in it.

Any problems with the vehicle would be a massive disruption - I can’t imagine my boss being even slightly interested in any fault that doesn’t stop the wheels going around, quite frankly. In an ideal world things would be different of course, but we don’t have an ideal world :wink:

100% +1 to the last two above posts.
if its not life threatening,and the wheels will turn,then just crack on with it,and get the job done even if it meant returning eventually back to base like a lancaster bomber coming back for a not so good run to berlin.

for the mobs id choose to work for then VOR stands for Vehicle Obviously Roadworthy.
no rear lights?..use the fogs,or get someone to run up your jacksie down the road.
no front lights?..run down the road u someone elses jacksie.
no side markers?..who is going to run into the side of you on the motorway?
lift a trailer off the boat with a baldy tyre? if its at night,worry about it when your tipped in the morning.
no wipers,no horn,no indicators,no anything like that??..just crack on,get tipped or loaded,or make the boat,then worry about it when all is done.

the above applies to any normal decent type hands on firm.
for any plobber operation where you are paid from the neck down as a kebab meat ambassador for your country wearing a hi viz,then for the slightest reason whatsoever,if i could VOR anything,then thats the way it would be,as no doubt it would be an ■■■ covering exercise,and also for the fact that you would probably be congratulated for doing so.

boltonboy:
Talking about horns…was driving a nearly new Mercedes the other day and the horn was weaker than my first Nissan Micra never mind 4 steps to get to the cab I mean 4 steps and 6 feet up in the air…kind of getting used to a couple of steps in the DAF.

Some trucks have 2 horns, a patheitc one known as the City horn and a normal one, my old FH had to button on the steering wheel for city horn and the centre boss was the main horn.
The Mercedes I sometimes drive has a button above your head, which changes the horn from an appology to a decent air horn.

That’s enough about horns of we’ll have Dipper Dave down here. :laughing: