Aspiring Brummie Trucker!

Hello all,

In March I managed to pass all of the theory side of things, literally a day later I got a job in an office which was ok for the regular hours but not a lot else office politics drive me insane!

Throughout the year I have watched trucker vlogs on youtube any chance I could, not only do I love driving but I’d love to drive a hgv! Previously I drove single/double deck buses for 4.5 years (not my thing but was a means to an end).

I’m at a point now where I’m not sure what’s the best avenue for this do I;

Work for a company and get trained… (if anyone is out there please message me to discuss!)

or

Pay for it myself and go through agencies…

I’m hoping to be a little flexible with hours as I have a 10 week old baby so couldn’t do tramping all the time.

Thanks in advance guys

There’s not too many opportunities for training leading to work, unlike the buses. And those that do offer it are not likely to give you flexibility you’re looking for.

Sorting out your own training means you’re free to work for who you like, when you like (subject to the work being available of course).

Options multiply if you follow through to CE. Work is often easier but with better pay.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hello matt

I’ve been in the Hgv driving side for just over a year now so kinda rookie myself. I was working in a warehouse for a large national retailer and was on the waiting list to be Hgv trained by the company, but after 2 years of waiting decided to self fund it. Luckily I passed most of tests first time except second attempt on class 2.
I have to say it was the best decision of my life as now I have class 1 licence and assurance that I can never be out of work (fingers crossed) even though I only have little class 1 experience.
What I’m trying to say is there’s lots of driving jobs out there. Hours are not ideal sometimes especially for someone who is new to this and still trying to find a footing in the industry so you got to take what comes your way for the sake of gaining experience.
I would certainly recommend you for it pal. Good luck and merry Christmas

Peter Smythe:
There’s not too many opportunities for training leading to work, unlike the buses. And those that do offer it are not likely to give you flexibility you’re looking for.

Sorting out your own training means you’re free to work for who you like, when you like (subject to the work being available of course).

Options multiply if you follow through to CE. Work is often easier but with better pay.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Peter,

Yeah that’s true, CE would be a goal of mine regardless.

Great videos on youtube by the way!

Kind regards,

Matt

ProudNewbie:
Hello matt

I’ve been in the Hgv driving side for just over a year now so kinda rookie myself. I was working in a warehouse for a large national retailer and was on the waiting list to be Hgv trained by the company, but after 2 years of waiting decided to self fund it. Luckily I passed most of tests first time except second attempt on class 2.
I have to say it was the best decision of my life as now I have class 1 licence and assurance that I can never be out of work (fingers crossed) even though I only have little class 1 experience.
What I’m trying to say is there’s lots of driving jobs out there. Hours are not ideal sometimes especially for someone who is new to this and still trying to find a footing in the industry so you got to take what comes your way for the sake of gaining experience.
I would certainly recommend you for it pal. Good luck and merry Christmas

Hello Newbie,

Thank you for that, great post! I don’t blame you for self funding, it’s that assurance that I’m after too :slight_smile:

I know hours won’t be perfect, I might even enjoy the odd night away from the wife :laughing: lol

Merry Christmas bud I appreciate your support!

Kind regards,

Matt

Pay yourself but you don’t have to go agency. I assume you’re a Brummie actually living in Brum. There’s plenty of firms around that take on new passes.

I got my first driving job last month with brakes over in Tamworth. Commuting from South Birmingham daily. Didn’t want the insecurity of agency work, not with my own kid and a mortgage to pay.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
Pay yourself but you don’t have to go agency. I assume you’re a Brummie actually living in Brum. There’s plenty of firms around that take on new passes.

I got my first driving job last month with brakes over in Tamworth. Commuting from South Birmingham daily. Didn’t want the insecurity of agency work, not with my own kid and a mortgage to pay.

Morning Eddie,

Fair enough, I’ve seen a few people mention Brakes. Congratulations on getting that job! Hope it’s going well for you.

I live in South Birmingham too, near the Swan Island if you know it? Yardley/Sheldon kind of way.

Kind regards,

Matt

Matt87:

IronEddie:

Morning Eddie,

Fair enough, I’ve seen a few people mention Brakes. Congratulations on getting that job! Hope it’s going well for you.

I live in South Birmingham too, near the Swan Island if you know it? Yardley/Sheldon kind of way.

Kind regards,

Matt

Thanks, yeah it’s good so far. Been well supported. It’s hard work though, especially as I joined during the busy run up to Christmas.

I’m near selly oak.

IronEddie:

Matt87:

IronEddie:

Morning Eddie,

Kind regards,

Matt

Thanks, yeah it’s good so far. Been well supported. It’s hard work though, especially as I joined during the busy run up to Christmas.

I’m near selly oak.

Ah right, I don’t know Selly Oak too well I have a friend in that neck of the woods that’s about it.

How much time have you got off over Christmas?

Matt87:

IronEddie:

Matt87:

IronEddie:

Morning Eddie,

Kind regards,

Matt

I’m near selly oak.

Ah right, I don’t know Selly Oak too well I have a friend in that neck of the woods that’s about it.

How much time have you got off over Christmas?

Four days, back in the 27th. Which ain’t bad. If I’d still been in my last job I would have only had Christmas day off. Off 30 and 31st too. Dunno about new years day.

IronEddie:
Four days, back in the 27th. Which ain’t bad. If I’d still been in my last job I would have only had Christmas day off. Off 30 and 31st too. Dunno about new years day.

That’s decent, would have been the same for me on the buses just christmas day /boxing day and if i’m lucky new years day.

I wouldn’t mind working inbetween as the roads should be dead for you!

Matt87:

IronEddie:

That’s decent, would have been the same for me on the buses just christmas day /boxing day and if i’m lucky new years day.

I wouldn’t mind working inbetween as the roads should be dead for you!

Should be! And no schools on.

Self fund it. Then at least you’re not tied down to any particular employer.

As for work there’s jobs out there that don’t require signing up to an agency. Depending what side of Brum you’re on I know of places who will give a go to a new pass on Class 1 (Garretts Green or West Brom) and there’ll be plenty of places on Class 2 where you can get a start. It’s all about pros and cons. Like you can go agency but then if work drops which it does you’re left sat at home twiddling your thumbs but on the other hand if you don’t like a place you can just not go back to it which is harder to do obviously if you’re full time somewhere lol

toonsy:

As for work there’s jobs out there that don’t require signing up to an agency. Depending what side of Brum you’re on I know of places who will give a go to a new pass on Class 1 (Garretts Green or West Brom) and there’ll be plenty of places on Class 2 where you can get a start. It’s all about pros and cons. Like you can go agency but then if work drops which it does you’re left sat at home twiddling your thumbs but on the other hand if you don’t like a place you can just not go back to it which is harder to do obviously if you’re full time somewhere lol

I’m closest to Garretts Green :smiley:

Yeah I get what you’re saying, I see temps come and go at my place. Some are paid more than full employees! Like you say it’s swings and roundabouts. Definitely can’t afford to twiddle thumbs!

Matt87:

toonsy:

Yeah I get what you’re saying, I see temps come and go at my place. Some are paid more than full employees! Like you say it’s swings and roundabouts. Definitely can’t afford to twiddle thumbs!

RGF Logistics then…

toonsy:

Matt87:

toonsy:

RGF Logistics then…

I went in to see if they’d sponsor me for my license earlier in the year but i didnt hear back. I’ll contact them when i get my license.