Northern Ireland companies for a new start?

I am currently in the process of wanting to get into hgv driving.
I have done my medical and sent away for my provisional… and hope to get the c and c+e done ASAP.
Two problems.

1. No experience so fell might be hard to get into a decent company.
  2. Was caught for drink driving 4 years ago, (lost licence 9 months) have had it back as soon as could get it (car licence)
    I never had any points or anything on my License before or since it and was just a very unfortunate situation that I had a drive too soon after have been driving. I since drink very rarely have no interest in it.
    Lesson was most certainly learned and then some from the experience…
    I have been reading a lot of the forums on here and trying to collect as much information about the process, the life as a trucker and everything else as possible.

Any advice is very much appreciated or if anyone knows any companies around County Antrim in Northern Ireland that would be worth approaching would be great. Going to do training through Henderson’s but don’t think they would take me on after that.

New starter + drink driving endorsement = no job, to be blunt.

ItsJoe:
New starter + drink driving endorsement = no job, to be blunt.

Not - no job - but very unlikely to get a job unless you get lucky

I seen somewhere in a forum that a guy offered to pay the insurance excess if it came to it that it was needed would that possibly help? Or doing my adr etc to broaden the field? Perhaps a good cover letter explaining the whole situation and the dedication to work and provide for my family.
All them recruitment agency people that try to get you pay a fortune to do the training keep saying about the deficit of thousands and thousands of jobs I presume That’s not the case and isn’t really any drivers needed at all?
If was surely would be some way of getting a years experience somewhere by that time it isn’t going to affect the insurance and would show the work ethic.
If everyone was judged on single mistakes wouldn’t be too many people working for one reason or another after all.

Go and work for some cowboy in the south. They’ll be your only option. No decent firm will even consider you.

You’re wasting your time and money going for trucking with a 4 year old dd conviction. Sorry to be blunt, but that’s the way things are. Take your money, become a plumber or a chippy or something else. If your heart is set on driving, try it again when the conviction is a decade old and spent. No one is going to touch you with that on your license.

6am monday morning 2 weeks ago one of my drivers called in sick.

Rang round all local agencies. Only driver I could get came with a dr10 endorsement. Speaking to the guy he was being kept busy through said agency tramping at another local own account firm.

The insurance of the company I work for doesn’t state anything about endorsements on licences.

I wouldn’t make the mistake of using someone with that on their license again after the day the driver had however there are people out there that will.

You could of course pass the class one, and sit on it for 6 years. But if it was myself, I would train for something that I could use now, and do the class one a couple of years before I could use it. That way, at least you are working and earning while you wait for the endorsement to clear.

You will find yourself with the dilemma that you passed your test and don’t get to use it for ages. When you do get behind the wheel, after a long lay off, you will have no experience and need to pay for refresher training.

After 5 years the conviction is legally spent and just for the purposes of police and court matters according to all the legal advice I have received. So therefore after the 5 year mark it really doesn’t exist to all intends and purposes other than if people wish to discriminate against the person.
Would I have any luck perhaps with getting the two so I have them as that’s the end goal and maybe more luck with getting work in class 2? Surely would be less desirable jobs within that field that would get me in a truck?

Of if offered if they had any other jobs within there companies, warehousing or whatever to show that I’m serious and to prove my work ethic? Or would that just sound like wasn’t that set on driving if offered that as apposed to proving to be working my way up or for the company or whatever?

Always got to be an angle to play realistically.
I’m serious and determined and will put whatever down that gets in my way (tramping starting to sound like a good option)
I’m not wanting to do it to mess about and complain and jump companies over the stupidest of little things like some people. If I get into somewhere good I would stay with that and treat the equipment like my own.

Other option I seen was to be a owner driver that way people has no concern over what my licence has. That sounds rather expensive though from reading a guide on it.

I guess I may just try and see what I can get someone somewhere at some time will be desperate enough and from there will just have to grind my way up though and prove myself.

Adr is worthless doing now I presume as they would be an absolute not a chance or would it be worth doing if nothing else to prove I’m serious and want to open up to all available options?

If can make it through a few years might open a few more doors. Hopefully.

Amcf85:
After 5 years the conviction is legally spent and just for the purposes of police and court matters according to all the legal advice I have received. So therefore after the 5 year mark it really doesn’t exist to all intends and purposes other than if people wish to discriminate against the person.
Would I have any luck perhaps with getting the two so I have them as that’s the end goal and maybe more luck with getting work in class 2? Surely would be less desirable jobs within that field that would get me in a truck?

Of if offered if they had any other jobs within there companies, warehousing or whatever to show that I’m serious and to prove my work ethic? Or would that just sound like wasn’t that set on driving if offered that as apposed to proving to be working my way up or for the company or whatever?

Always got to be an angle to play realistically.
I’m serious and determined and will put whatever down that gets in my way (tramping starting to sound like a good option)
I’m not wanting to do it to mess about and complain and jump companies over the stupidest of little things like some people. If I get into somewhere good I would stay with that and treat the equipment like my own.

Other option I seen was to be a owner driver that way people has no concern over what my licence has. That sounds rather expensive though from reading a guide on it.

I guess I may just try and see what I can get someone somewhere at some time will be desperate enough and from there will just have to grind my way up though and prove myself.

Adr is worthless doing now I presume as they would be an absolute not a chance or would it be worth doing if nothing else to prove I’m serious and want to open up to all available options?

If can make it through a few years might open a few more doors. Hopefully.

A drink driving endorsement remains with you for 11 years. Employers might give you a chance but their insurance has the final say on that. As a new pass you’d struggle getting a job anyway but add that endorsement to the mix and nobody legit will go near you.

As for being an owner operator, good luck even getting reasonable insurance. You’ll have to pay a fortune which will eat into any money you make.

I would genuinely look at alternative careers as your circumstances make it way too hard.

Sorry mate, you have been misinformed. Joe is correct, the endorsement stays with you for 11 years, not 5. When they check on the dvla online license check it is there for all to see for the 11 years.

You do seem very keen. You may have been on to something when you said you would be willing to work in the warehouse.

If you were to take a warehouse/flt job (ideally for a small haulier) you could prove yourself as a worker, and take the opportunity to wear them down over the months. That’s how I would play it if I were in your shoes.

I am aware it stays on your licence for 11 years however the conviction is spent after 5. Has been plently of cases of people being taken for discrimination after that period. And court cases hence insurance companies are legally only allowed to ask if you have any convictions within the last 5 years. The remaining years are there for no good reason other than if you get a further conviction within that time it will impact the outcome of that case more severely. Has and is ongoing court cases that this information should be retained by the courts and the police and has no good reason to be printed and retained on a licence after the “spent” period… other than to impact on people’s working life and stop the rehabilation as it’s so claimed that the time period is for.
Peoples ignorance does seem to render to the point they fell they can discriminate against people though so not surprised.
In this day and age with information so freely available would have thought wouldn’t be as stuck in the dark ages as much anymore but appearantly so.

I am obviously aware it won’t be a walk in the park.
Any useful tips or advice about if i would have been better getting the whole hog and taking a lesser classed job for a while or anything useful would have been handy.

Am well aware of plently of truckers with mass points and DR10 s on there licence of the course I did at the time of conviction to take down the period before I could get the licence back out of the 14 there 3 were truckers.

jbaz73:
You do seem very keen. You may have been on to something when you said you would be willing to work in the warehouse.

If you were to take a warehouse/flt job (ideally for a small haulier) you could prove yourself as a worker, and take the opportunity to wear them down over the months. That’s how I would play it if I were in your shoes.

Thanks for the advice. Seems a good angle and at least at the offering of it they might see that am out for the company which has got to be a good sign. Not just a pay check but a career so to speak.

Amcf85:
I am aware it stays on your licence for 11 years however the conviction is spent after 5. Has been plently of cases of people being taken for discrimination after that period. And court cases hence insurance companies are legally only allowed to ask if you have any convictions within the last 5 years. The remaining years are there for no good reason other than if you get a further conviction within that time it will impact the outcome of that case more severely. Has and is ongoing court cases that this information should be retained by the courts and the police and has no good reason to be printed and retained on a licence after the “spent” period… other than to impact on people’s working life and stop the rehabilation as it’s so claimed that the time period is for.
Peoples ignorance does seem to render to the point they fell they can discriminate against people though so not surprised.
In this day and age with information so freely available would have thought wouldn’t be as stuck in the dark ages as much anymore but appearantly so.

I am obviously aware it won’t be a walk in the park.
Any useful tips or advice about if i would have been better getting the whole hog and taking a lesser classed job for a while or anything useful would have been handy.

Am well aware of plently of truckers with mass points and DR10 s on there licence of the course I did at the time of conviction to take down the period before I could get the licence back out of the 14 there 3 were truckers.

Your talking about ignorance and discrimination but you were stupid enough to take a car out whilst drunk. And then some stuff about the dark ages but again, acceptably driving whilst drunk is a thing of the dark ages.

Your going to be discriminated against anyway, because your new, so people telling you you can’t have the job because you have no experience can quite easily be masked as we aren’t touching you because you are a drunk driver.

If you give companies the licence check code I think the conviction (after spent period) can’t be seen however if they ask for NI number etc and do it the other way your conviction would be there for the full 11 years.

As said before people will take dr10 and IN convictions just don’t expect the good jobs.

Another option as said above at a smaller firm if your the flt driver you may get the opportunity to take the truck out if drivers are off sick or whatever reason, prove yourself and the job could be yours.

The endorsement stays on your license for 11 years and is no longer visible after 10. Not sure why you think otherwise as that’s standard for drink driving convictions.

As I’ve said, you can show you’re a hard worker all you want but when it comes to you being behind a wheel you’re a massive liability and an insurer will never risk insuring you behind the wheel of a lorry when the potential for you to cause damage is even greater.

Look, if your adamant that this is the career for you then ring up some local hauliers and ask if they’d give you a chance as a new pass and if their insurance would cover you in your circumstances. If you get a handful that say yes come work for us, go and get your license. But do be careful because some might take advantage of you and ask you to drive bent. I’ve seen it happen before.

Go for it man.
On.y thing I’d do if I was you Is test the waters and speak to local hauliers and agencies to see if they would take you on with the dd. Long as you get a couple to say yes you should be fine.

Another good way in is on vans if they take you on the insurance with them and they happen to have artics also you shouldn’t have problems jumping on them.

adam277:
Go for it man.
On.y thing I’d do if I was you Is test the waters and speak to local hauliers and agencies to see if they would take you on with the dd. Long as you get a couple to say yes you should be fine.

Another good way in is on vans if they take you on the insurance with them and they happen to have artics also you shouldn’t have problems jumping on them.

Thanks Adam nice to see someone not just trolling the chat

thanks anyone for any useful advice will see what happens

Amcf85:

adam277:
Go for it man.

Thanks Adam nice to see someone not just trolling the chat

Nothing wrong with what Adam says.
Nothing wrong with any of the other posts either. No trolling that I can see?
The ones giving you warnings about how hard itll be werent trolling, but a perfectly valid heads up about the road in front of you.
Just my opinion of course.