Retest on monday - any tips?

Well it’s been a month since I’ve sat in a truck. And on Monday I have my restest. Last time I failed for crashing the truck! That is more exciting than it really was - I knocked the mirror on a post when I was pulling up. I know if I’m asked to pull up there again I will remember as the instructor pointed it out how close I was on training.

Now I have a problem… I can’t remember how many times I need to turn the steering wheel on my reverse. I am 90% sure it’s one and a half turns, but it could be just half a turn. I think I’ll call them tomorrow and ask. But it’s really a bit humiliating to call and ask how many times you need to turn the wheel to do a reverse.

I’m also going to ask if it’s possible to pay for an hour or two either over the weekend or on Monday morning. I didn’t think at the time. But this would help me. I don’t think there is any chance of it being possible now as it’s so late. But it’s worth a go.

Test is at 8.40am. I’m hoping that after reverse is done rush hour will be behind me.

So do any of you have any tips? Cheers. Sam.

Sam All I can say is Goodluck. Which training school did you go with? And I think 12.20 in the afternoon time is the best to take a test in as there is no traffic anywhere like.

sammym:
Now I have a problem… I can’t remember how many times I need to turn the steering wheel on my reverse. I am 90% sure it’s one and a half turns, but it could be just half a turn. I think I’ll call them tomorrow and ask. But it’s really a bit humiliating to call and ask how many times you need to turn the wheel to do a reverse.

I never taught the reverse that way because it was not a method you can take into the real world

Whilst not ideal to have to call, better that than spend all weekend worrying about it.

Good luck!

I went with Pete’s place. And I’ll call them in a bit. I’ve been in meetings all morning.

I get what people are saying about it not working like that in the real world. But when I learnt to drive a car I learn’t to parallel park by turning the steering wheel to lock and unlock at certain times. And it worked for me then. After the test in a range of vehicles from small to quite big it’s not caused me a problem.

I hope you did get a pass protection right? Class 2 is just reversing like a car Pal so why worry? And Pete is only 1 click away he’s pretty good with replying messages back.
2 shunts allowed remember even if you are worried take the shunt forward to straight the vehicle up and straight back on bay.

You need as much lock as you can reasonably get on without the o/s/f tyre running onto the yellow line. 1.5 turns is what it normally ends up as, though less will do it provided you have got the best position to start with (well forward and well to the left).

Hope this helps, and all the best for Monday.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just re-read the OP. Half a turn is highly unlikely to get the vehicle around B cone. As I’ve already said, as much lock as you can without trampling the o/s line with the front wheel. This will end up somewhere between 1 and 2 turns. But watch what’s happening and adjust as needs be.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

crazyplay:
I hope you did get a pass protection right? Class 2 is just reversing like a car Pal so why worry? And Pete is only 1 click away he’s pretty good with replying messages back.
2 shunts allowed remember even if you are worried take the shunt forward to straight the vehicle up and straight back on bay.

I thought it was one shunt?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:

crazyplay:

I thought it was one shunt?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

one minor max for either one or two forward shunts

Just shows how the poor the current test is that the candidate has to memorize how many turns of the steering wheel to use.

Imo it should be a non-blindside bay reverse. To something like this

Maybe block their forward distance enough to force them to have to push the trailer into position with the cab at an angle first. Give them as many shunts as they want within reason as long as they get it on without damaging anything. Also examiner chooses where to put the ‘bay’ and truck so it discourages memorizing wheel turns.
Similar to this best pic I could find.

I know this is off topic but the most effective answers to your answers are given in person through tuition.
Seriously if they had a bay reverse in the test instead of this joke of memorizing steering wheel turns then I doubt I would see nearly as many numpties failing to get on bays and it would be a reverse that actually helps you after you pass your test.

sammym:
Well it’s been a month since I’ve sat in a truck. And on Monday I have my restest. Last time I failed for crashing the truck! That is more exciting than it really was - I knocked the mirror on a post when I was pulling up. I know if I’m asked to pull up there again I will remember as the instructor pointed it out how close I was on training.

I’m also going to ask if it’s possible to pay for an hour or two either over the weekend or on Monday morning. I didn’t think at the time. But this would help me. I don’t think there is any chance of it being possible now as it’s so late. But it’s worth a go.

Test is at 8.40am. I’m hoping that after reverse is done rush hour will be behind me.

So do any of you have any tips? Cheers. Sam.

Bit of time behind the wheel is a good idea. It wont take long to get a feel for it again, but you dont want to be doing that on the test itself.
Good Luck.

adam277:
Just shows how the poor the current test is that the candidate has to memorize how many turns of the steering wheel to use.

Imo it should be a non-blindside bay reverse. To something like this

Maybe block their forward distance enough to force them to have to push the trailer into position with the cab at an angle first. Give them as many shunts as they want within reason as long as they get it on without damaging anything. Also examiner chooses where to put the ‘bay’ and truck so it discourages memorizing wheel turns.
Similar to this best pic I could find.

I know this is off topic but the most effective answers to your answers are given in person through tuition.
Seriously if they had a bay reverse in the test instead of this joke of memorizing steering wheel turns then I doubt I would see nearly as many numpties failing to get on bays and it would be a reverse that actually helps you after you pass your test.

I agree the test reverse doesn’t bare much resemblance to the real world. But I’m not sure any test could prepare a new driver for every reversing situation. Maybe this is just something newbies like me have to learn on the job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I see absolutely no harm in using the number of turns as a help on test. Clearly the candidate has been taught how to perform the exercise, but knowing how many turns are involved can be a good thing when nerves take over on the day.

As for the validity of the exercise, I prefer not to publicise my views. But this is what we’ve got, so that’s what we have to teach.

Pete

I was asking for advice for a test on monday, and Pete and others have given me the advice I need.

I’m not overly bothered about what a test should or shouldn’t be. Just the one I have to do on Monday.
Cheers.

sammym:
I was asking for advice for a test on monday, and Pete and others have given me the advice I need.

I’m not overly bothered about what a test should or shouldn’t be. Just the one I have to do on Monday.
Cheers.

I made a total balls up of my first test due to nerves , but passed second time
It did help that second test was 8:40 am on a Monday and easy test route ,were as first one was 1:50 pm on a Friday and hard route

Failed again. Can’t blame anyone other than myself.

The reverse I did find hard. I ended up forgetting my markers and in the end I took a shunt and got it in using normal driving skills. That was fine. I ended up getting in minor both for the shunt and the observation. So 2 minors before I left the yard. It was not looking good for me.

And then I went and drove with zero minors! I actually started to enjoy the test. We were chatting away. I didn’t think I was driving well. But the size of the thing didn’t worry me. I was just going a long.

And then for reasons only the gods will know - I was going towards a green light and thought it was red. So decided to slow down and nearly stop. The examiner had to tell me. So I got one major for that.

So only one thing which has nothing to do with a truck stopped me passing. I have booked another test for the 2nd January. So hopefully third time lucky.

I will say that I’m going in the right direction - went from 6 minors and a dangerous. To 2 minors and a serious. Oh and I’ve asked for half an hour reversing practise before the next test - if I fail again I’ll reevaluate if I’m cut out for this.

EDIT - in fairness to me. I just got nervous and made a silly mistake. The examiner did say to me “I can’t believe I have to tell you this but you havn’t passed, apart from that one thing you had a perfect drive”. So I booked the soonest spot in. I’m sure a few on here will rip me for something so silly. But I’m genuinely a bit gutted. Before the test I didn’t expect to pass - but to know I came so close is gutting.

a little harsh. Another examiner would of probably let it slip.

Feel for you there - I failed my first Class C test in much the same way. I had a green light, started to move then stopped when the guy to my right, (who’s filter was on red), screeched to a halt beside me. I then sat there undecided until the examiner told me to go = 1 major.

I think we both let our nerves get the better of us. Had to wait 7 weeks for the retest and booked an hour’s practice first. Passed that one despite feeling less well prepared than first time. I passed C+E first attempt, I think largely due to believing I could do it.

Try to deal with the nerves - after all you ■■■■ near got a clean sheet, that says you definitely can do it.

adam277:
a little harsh. Another examiner would of probably let it slip.

I think once the examiner has to tell you to stop/go your screwed. Had the op realised then would probably have got away with a minor.

Best of luck for next time. The extra practice will help, I found it did. It took me 3 goes to do my c and e so your not the only one