R Swain Rochester Kent

Hi

Are R Swain in Kent good to work for??

Cheers

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

I’ve never worked there,but from what I’ve seen and heard, you’ll never get rich but they’re loyal to their good drivers

Thanks nobby…
What’s the best company to work for around Kent. ■■

pbc453:
Thanks nobby…
What’s the best company to work for around Kent. ■■

That all depends what kind of work you are looking for.As not everyone likes the same kind of work.So what one person thinks is a good job.You might hate with a passion.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Very true!! Lol

pbc453:
Very true!! Lol

So what are you looking for?.I’m not sure what the pay at swains is.But they have some interesting work if your not on there general side.They dont seem to run new kit though.And mostly low cab stuff.But i think thats to do with access to some of the building sites they deliver too.

A decent company more than anything tbh. That’s if there’s one out there!!

You won’t get rich doing class 2 on palletline either. A flat 24k regardless of how long the jobs take. I passed

I worked at Swains Swadlincote. Crap kit, decent bosses, poor hourly rate and a very weird and complicated bonus scheme to make your money up. They bend the rules to suit the job, but if vosa ever catch you, it’s your head on the block. It’s up to you.

Mostly roping and sheet loads on flat bed trailer fleet from fertilizer out of CF ltd Ince to farms
Concrete beams to wide loads and timber.
The trucks look old and tired.
Get used to using ratchet straps a lot.
The drivers I speak to seem a decent bunch of lads.
Look at this way, no sitting in a RDC waiting room on hard plastic seats watching Jeremy Kyle on TV for four hours.
And listening to Billy Big Bullox who has done it all and got the tee shirt.

What sort of work do swain’s do on class 2 ■■ Cheers guys

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

What did it for me was that I was paired up with a Romanian guy, really nice guy as it goes but not much English.

Cut a long story short, they cut loads of corners. The straw that broke the camels back was that we picked up 38 pallets of cat food from hamsall, I asked if we were going to strap it (even the internals would have been better than nothing) but sadly not, we drove Birmingham to Swadlincote with a loose load.

I can’t afford a fine, or god forbid a shed load. I decided it wasn’t for me. Your experience may differ and I hope it does. Make sure you do a thorough walk round check, the kit is not the best and a lot of it wants voring straight the way. Bald tyres, holes in the trailer floor, you name it, you will see it.

The wages are very complex. You won’t be able to accurately work out what you will get each week. You get a confusing hourly rate, I was on 6.50 per hour (less than minimum wage, but they get away with it because the bonuses make it up) you get bonuses for everything you can think of, and them some. Mileage bonus for how many miles you do each day. Load bonus for how many times you tip/load. Meal allowance. Damage allowance and 20 other bonuses which escape my mind. You get the picture.

When you tot it all up, the money isn’t too bad. You will take home 500-550 per week. I personally used it as a stepping stone job on the way to something better. I personally didn’t want to risk my license and the fine that goes with it. It’s like a poor mans stobarts there. If you have another option, I would seriously consider it, if you are in need of a job quick, then I would take it.

All in all, I can’t complain because I was treated well and the management were all good to me. The wages were fair, but I feel that they were made up as they went along. They really shouldn’t have paired me up as a newbie with a guy who’s grip on English was tenuous at best, I can’t call him though because the English he did speak, he did his very best to help me. Unfortunately his English didn’t stretch to the difference between right and left. Lol, when I was reversing, he would always tell me full left lock, whichever direction he had in mind. He also had his own method of reversing which was going from full lock to full lock and worming his way in. This was not how I was taught, I was taught that when reversing less is more, and that’s the way I do it to this day and it works for me, I only use full lock when necessary and that’s not offen.

If you’re looking for experience, they will take you on and give you time behind the wheel. But if you value your license, I would be looking to move on as soon as circumstances allow.

I was doing night shift general haulage, the work was pretty good for what it was. I don’t know if the not strapping loads was something that came from the company or if it was the driver I was paired with. But to me, it was a risk that I was not willing to take. For the sake of half hour, it’s no hardship to throw straps on. If I had stayed and was doing the job by myself, I would have done it regardless of what was said. But I decided the job wasn’t for me. It did give me the experience and confidence to find something better. I’m not saying don’t work for them, but go into it with your eyes open and don’t cut corners no matter who puts pressure on you.

jbaz73:
What did it for me was that I was paired up with a Romanian guy, really nice guy as it goes but not much English.

Cut a long story short, they cut loads of corners. The straw that broke the camels back was that we picked up 38 pallets of cat food from hamsall, I asked if we were going to strap it (even the internals would have been better than nothing) but sadly not, we drove Birmingham to Swadlincote with a loose load.

I can’t afford a fine, or god forbid a shed load. I decided it wasn’t for me. Your experience may differ and I hope it does. Make sure you do a thorough walk round check, the kit is not the best and a lot of it wants voring straight the way. Bald tyres, holes in the trailer floor, you name it, you will see it.

The wages are very complex. You won’t be able to accurately work out what you will get each week. You get a confusing hourly rate, I was on 6.50 per hour (less than minimum wage, but they get away with it because the bonuses make it up) you get bonuses for everything you can think of, and them some. Mileage bonus for how many miles you do each day. Load bonus for how many times you tip/load. Meal allowance. Damage allowance and 20 other bonuses which escape my mind. You get the picture.

When you tot it all up, the money isn’t too bad. You will take home 500-550 per week. I personally used it as a stepping stone job on the way to something better. I personally didn’t want to risk my license and the fine that goes with it. It’s like a poor mans stobarts there. If you have another option, I would seriously consider it, if you are in need of a job quick, then I would take it.

All in all, I can’t complain because I was treated well and the management were all good to me. The wages were fair, but I feel that they were made up as they went along. They really shouldn’t have paired me up as a newbie with a guy who’s grip on English was tenuous at best, I can’t call him though because the English he did speak, he did his very best to help me. Unfortunately his English didn’t stretch to the difference between right and left. Lol, when I was reversing, he would always tell me full left lock, whichever direction he had in mind. He also had his own method of reversing which was going from full lock to full lock and worming his way in. This was not how I was taught, I was taught that when reversing less is more, and that’s the way I do it to this day and it works for me, I only use full lock when necessary and that’s not offen.

If you’re looking for experience, they will take you on and give you time behind the wheel. But if you value your license, I would be looking to move on as soon as circumstances allow.

I was doing night shift general haulage, the work was pretty good for what it was. I don’t know if the not strapping loads was something that came from the company or if it was the driver I was paired with. But to me, it was a risk that I was not willing to take. For the sake of half hour, it’s no hardship to throw straps on. If I had stayed and was doing the job by myself, I would have done it regardless of what was said. But I decided the job wasn’t for me. It did give me the experience and confidence to find something better. I’m not saying don’t work for them, but go into it with your eyes open and don’t cut corners no matter who puts pressure on you.

When did you work there? Like you say all things said it’s not bad money tbf. Was depot ok, think a lot of places like to run the trucks to death now! Thank you for taking the time to give so much information. Much appreciated.

You’ll find that companies are like marmite. I work for Downton (who have a depot in Chatham, if that’s any use to you) and I like it overall, but you’ll come across plenty of drivers who wouldn’t touch the firm with a barge pole.

So what you’re looking for really is a bunch of mixed reviews of a firm! Get a bunch of mixed reviews and you can feel confident about starting with them and figuring out if you like it or not. If they’re all negative or you don’t feel right when you go in, just bin it and find somewhere else. There are jobs out there for newbies and you don’t have to let agency parasites convince you otherwise.

slowlane:
You’ll find that companies are like marmite. I work for Downton (who have a depot in Chatham, if that’s any use to you) and I like it overall, but you’ll come across plenty of drivers who wouldn’t touch the firm with a barge pole.

So what you’re looking for really is a bunch of mixed reviews of a firm! Get a bunch of mixed reviews and you can feel confident about starting with them and figuring out if you like it or not. If they’re all negative or you don’t feel right when you go in, just bin it and find somewhere else. There are jobs out there for newbies and you don’t have to let agency parasites convince you otherwise.

Your definitely right… Never thought of downtons. It’s always worth getting other peoples views on things. Cheers

pbc453:

slowlane:

Your definitely right… Never thought of downtons. It’s always worth getting other peoples views on things. Cheers

They only have 2 class 2 trucks in Chatham though.You’d be straight in there with a class 1 licence.

daftvader:

pbc453:

slowlane:

They only have 2 class 2 trucks in Chatham though.You’d be straight in there with a class 1 licence.

Worth knowing. . .cheers

Oops, sorry mate, thought you were class 1. As daftvader says, Chatham only runs 2 class 2.

pbc453:

jbaz73:

When did you work there? Like you say all things said it’s not bad money tbf. Was depot ok, think a lot of places like to run the trucks to death now! Thank you for taking the time to give so much information. Much appreciated.

I was at the swad depot last September

They advertising adr class 2 in Greenwich . Anyone Has an idea if its allright? Also it says 616 pounds a week for 50 hours. Does it include breaks or you need to add breaks on top od that?