R Swain Rochester Kent

pbc453:

jbaz73:
What did it for me was that I was paired up with a Romanian guy, really nice guy as it goes but not much English.

Cut a long story short, they cut loads of corners. The straw that broke the camels back was that we picked up 38 pallets of cat food from hamsall, I asked if we were going to strap it (even the internals would have been better than nothing) but sadly not, we drove Birmingham to Swadlincote with a loose load.

I can’t afford a fine, or god forbid a shed load. I decided it wasn’t for me. Your experience may differ and I hope it does. Make sure you do a thorough walk round check, the kit is not the best and a lot of it wants voring straight the way. Bald tyres, holes in the trailer floor, you name it, you will see it.

The wages are very complex. You won’t be able to accurately work out what you will get each week. You get a confusing hourly rate, I was on 6.50 per hour (less than minimum wage, but they get away with it because the bonuses make it up) you get bonuses for everything you can think of, and them some. Mileage bonus for how many miles you do each day. Load bonus for how many times you tip/load. Meal allowance. Damage allowance and 20 other bonuses which escape my mind. You get the picture.

When you tot it all up, the money isn’t too bad. You will take home 500-550 per week. I personally used it as a stepping stone job on the way to something better. I personally didn’t want to risk my license and the fine that goes with it. It’s like a poor mans stobarts there. If you have another option, I would seriously consider it, if you are in need of a job quick, then I would take it.

All in all, I can’t complain because I was treated well and the management were all good to me. The wages were fair, but I feel that they were made up as they went along. They really shouldn’t have paired me up as a newbie with a guy who’s grip on English was tenuous at best, I can’t call him though because the English he did speak, he did his very best to help me. Unfortunately his English didn’t stretch to the difference between right and left. Lol, when I was reversing, he would always tell me full left lock, whichever direction he had in mind. He also had his own method of reversing which was going from full lock to full lock and worming his way in. This was not how I was taught, I was taught that when reversing less is more, and that’s the way I do it to this day and it works for me, I only use full lock when necessary and that’s not offen.

If you’re looking for experience, they will take you on and give you time behind the wheel. But if you value your license, I would be looking to move on as soon as circumstances allow.

I was doing night shift general haulage, the work was pretty good for what it was. I don’t know if the not strapping loads was something that came from the company or if it was the driver I was paired with. But to me, it was a risk that I was not willing to take. For the sake of half hour, it’s no hardship to throw straps on. If I had stayed and was doing the job by myself, I would have done it regardless of what was said. But I decided the job wasn’t for me. It did give me the experience and confidence to find something better. I’m not saying don’t work for them, but go into it with your eyes open and don’t cut corners no matter who puts pressure on you.

When did you work there? Like you say all things said it’s not bad money tbf. Was depot ok, think a lot of places like to run the trucks to death now! Thank you for taking the time to give so much information. Much appreciated.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I was at the swad depot last September