Livestock haulage

Hi guys, going to be doing my C and C+E in the new year. Just wondered what the Chances of a new pass getting in to livestock haulage. Worked on farms for years so got the livestock side covered, just the hgv bit. Also how easy is it to get a tramping job with no experience. Thanks

I don’t do livestock haulage but I know a few drivers as we frequent the same sites. They bring the animals in and we take away what’s left at the end of the process.
They all come from farming backgrounds like yourself and from what they’ve said it’s all about who you know when it comes to getting a start as the farming community is pretty tight knit.
Its’ a job that you don’t see advertised very often which would suggest drivers are found through word of mouth.
As for getting a job tramping you’ve probably got a better chance of finding one over a day shift job as tramping is less appealing to most people.

There was a job advertised on 4xtra hands in susex a while back
Or try going and talking to hauliers

Cant remember the name of it but there is an extra ticket for livestock transport not sure whether it is 100% needed or just a benefit

I have got the short distance ticket, under 8 hours I think it is. Because we transport with tractor and trailer. Was thinking of talking to Georges in somerset as I live about an hour away, also know some of there drivers. Wouldn’t mind trying other driving jobs, don’t like the sound of these RDC’s though. Prefer a ■■■■■■ farm yard I think. Cheers guys

As others have said, it’s not something that is normally advertised, but with your farming background and animal moving background, I reckon you must have a good chance. You probably know who does the work in your area far better than we do, so you might just have to knock doors.

Tractortom:
I have got the short distance ticket, under 8 hours I think it is. Because we transport with tractor and trailer. Was thinking of talking to Georges in somerset as I live about an hour away, also know some of there drivers. Wouldn’t mind trying other driving jobs, don’t like the sound of these RDC’s though. Prefer a [zb] farm yard I think. Cheers guys

As i said not a clue what its called as ive only driven the wagons empty so never had to think about it i just know there is alsorts of information about how and when you can use hard sholders to avoid trafic and the like i might do it at some point as it could come in handy
And if you haven’t looked already 4xtra hands is about the only places worth looking

Will do thanks

Ask around the markets, talk to the float drivers, also when in the abbatoirs, talk to the drivers in there. The largest abbatoir in Somerset use to be at Langport.

Thanks for the advice. I will ring around a few firms I know of and talk to there drivers see what they say. Most of them are over an hour away from where I live, but was thinking if I am tramping away all week commute isn’t really a problem. Also if livestock is a no go what other types of work would you recommend? Live near solstice park on the a303 so was thinking Muller or there’s a home bargains depot there, would either of those take on newbies for a quick bit of experience. Sorry for all the questions lol

Pretty sure Home Bargains take on new qualified drivers, but you might also want to talk to companies who do other livestock stuff like turkeys and similar. Not sure if Faccenda have a base near you, but they transport live turkeys / chickens around, or they have the frozen section which although it’s some RDC work is dead easy especially trunking to their own depots. Would have continued with them but it’s too far from where I live.

Not sure if the Livestock Welfare Certificate covers for the upto or over 8 hours but i know the people doing it at that place had to have it.

If you’ve driven tractors then you should find trucks no probs…esp as you’ll be able to reverse.

Try Edward gilder at Stow on the wold or Gordon Gilder they do a bit of everything Gordon is the bigger, you also have William Gilder but that is tanker work tramping . Williams place is also truck stop at toddington nr Tewksbury all up here I
in Gloucestershire.
Ed gilder 01451 820840

Gordon Gilder 01242 620311

William Gilder 01242 509790

pete62:
Try Edward gilder at Stow on the wold or Gordon Gilder they do a bit of everything Gordon is the bigger, you also have William Gilder but that is tanker work tramping . Williams place is also truck stop at toddington nr Tewksbury all up here I
in Gloucestershire.
Ed gilder 01451 820840

Gordon Gilder 01242 620311

William Gilder 01242 509790

Cheers mate appreciate that, will give them a ring.

Tractortom:
Thanks for the advice. I will ring around a few firms I know of and talk to there drivers see what they say. Most of them are over an hour away from where I live, but was thinking if I am tramping away all week commute isn’t really a problem. Also if livestock is a no go what other types of work would you recommend? Live near solstice park on the a303 so was thinking Muller or there’s a home bargains depot there, would either of those take on newbies for a quick bit of experience. Sorry for all the questions lol

I know that this post is a few months old but home bargains at solstice park well NR Evans that do the transport will take new drivers class 1 only to start with they will only give you single deck trailers