Probably a silly question - satnav and test?

I’ve seen today for cars satnavs are included.

Now I’m used to driving with a satnav. On my car I use it to look at road junctions for positioning. And also to tell me speed limits. I find it very useful.

Is there anything to stop me plugging my satnav in on a test? I’m after serious answers and not Micky takes. I genuinely sometimes wonder what the limit is - and a satnav tells me. And I use it a lot to work out what is happening around the corner.

So if I wanted to put one on (not programmed to an area) during a test would this be allowed?

Cheers

sammym:
I’ve seen today for cars satnavs are included.

Now I’m used to driving with a satnav. On my car I use it to look at road junctions for positioning. And also to tell me speed limits. I find it very useful.

Is there anything to stop me plugging my satnav in on a test? I’m after serious answers and not Micky takes. I genuinely sometimes wonder what the limit is - and a satnav tells me. And I use it a lot to work out what is happening around the corner.

So if I wanted to put one on (not programmed to an area) during a test would this be allowed?

Cheers

NO

I called the DVSA on this point and the answer was an emphatic no

They explained that the ones for the car tests are supplied by the examiners with pre programmed routes

I’m really not being sarcastic, but the way forward is to learn to look for signs and to be able to calculate the speed limit if you haven’t seen the sign.

A good way to start is to talk yourself through every road sign you come across, especially in areas well known to you. Say, out loud, what the sign is and what it means. This is a tried and tested method and is brilliant. You can continue this, if you wish, during your test.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Rog an Pete,

At least I know. And I shall take Petes advice. I think we all get used to driving in areas and driving without thinking. And then when driving in a new place if you have a built in satnav you just look at that and ignore certain signs. So I’ll turn all the tech off for the next couple of weeks and try and focus on the signs.

Peter Smythe:
I’m really not being sarcastic, but the way forward is to learn to look for signs and to be able to calculate the speed limit if you haven’t seen the sign.

A good way to start is to talk yourself through every road sign you come across, especially in areas well known to you. Say, out loud, what the sign is and what it means. This is a tried and tested method and is brilliant. You can continue this, if you wish, during your test.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Is part of standard practice as a police pursuit training, calling out signs, road names and other safety critical points,

Probably wont be long before it happens. No doubt someone who has never sat in a truck is making that decision right now. :grimacing:

If you tried using a sat nav for speed limits you’d fail the test as they are wrong so often. Plus HGV speed limits are different in some cases to car ones, so again high risk of fail.

Would agree they are handy on occasions for reference, but bottom line is they expect you to “observe the signage” is i think how they put it.