Training Booked advice welcome

Hi Everyone, first post on here after having a look around.

I’m currently working in the public sector and wanting to get out I have had the provisional for driving cat C on my licence since 2010 but haven’t been in a position to afford and book the training things have now changed and I have booked my training Class 1 & 2 and have a date to commence it of the 22nd Jan 2018 what can I do until then to help me prepare myself ?

Also a couple of other questions that spring to mind

My training is on 2:1 is this a good way to learn, have been told that sitting alongside whilst the other learner is driving can be helpful to pick up little things ?
Is 20 hours approx. enough learning time for the training ?

Thanks in advance people

tooktheplunge:
My training is on 2:1 is this a good way to learn, have been told that sitting alongside whilst the other learner is driving can be helpful to pick up little things ?
Is 20 hours approx. enough learning time for the training ?

20 hours is the norm
Personal preferences on 1/1 or 2/1
In my experiences of being a trainer on both I found that 2/1 was the better way as learning still occurred when trainee in passenger seat without the stress of driving

The most important question is who have you booked the training with?
Personally I wouldn’t be interested in sitting watching someone else drive for half the duration,wouldn’t go for 2:1 if it was me…

I far prefer 1:1 but that’s irrelevant. What matters is your choice of trainer. Is the 20 hours the time between you and the other candidate or is it 40 hours split between you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I have been informed that its 20 hours driving time approx. each which fits as its 4 full days with test on fifth for both class 1 and 2.

I have booked to do the training with Eddie Stobart reason being its 30 minutes away from me and the black Friday deal was a decent price for what they offered. Rang a few local companies close to me and was quoted a lot more and they didn’t really sell it to me that made me think they weren’t for me, that’s what Eddie Stobart did answered my questions with confidence and didn’t try to put pressure on me to book like some places.

I’ve seen lots of threads on here slating them and some giving positive views and a couple of people who seem to have green blood but I’ve taken the plunge and booked with them.

Problem with 2:1 training can be you start feeling drained. 8 hours in a truck learning a day is a lot even if half of it is spent watching. I was getting sick of it with 4 hours a day.
Some people prefer it but I have only ever done 2:1 training with motorcycles.
I think there is a reason they don’t offer 2:1 training in cars. :grimacing:
Imo unless the candidate wants it 2:1 training mainly benefits the training school.
Any decent school should give you the option of doing 2:1 or 1:1 though; mine did.

I don’t know ES but make sure they don’t cheat you out of time. Its not unknown for instructors to finish lessons a little early.

adam277:
Problem with 2:1 training can be you start feeling drained. 8 hours in a truck learning a day is a lot even if half of it is spent watching. I was getting sick of it with 4 hours a day.
Some people prefer it but I have only ever done 2:1 training with motorcycles.
I think there is a reason they don’t offer 2:1 training in cars. :grimacing:
Imo unless the candidate wants it 2:1 training mainly benefits the training school.
Any decent school should give you the option of doing 2:1 or 1:1 though; mine did.

I don’t know ES but make sure they don’t cheat you out of time. Its not unknown for instructors to finish lessons a little early.

Some ADIs do offer 2 to 1 in cars
Many feel drained doing a solid 4 hours but more rested when doing 1 hour turn arounds on 2 to 1 - that is what I found when comparing both during my time as a LGV instructor

I have recently completed my Class C on a 2:1 course. Although it sometimes felt draining, I would say to anyone to go for 2:1. If you made a mistake or couldn’t grasp part of the training it was good to see another trainee carrying out and getting a view that you wouldn’t get if it was just 1:1. I only done my training 2:1 so that’s just my view on it, but think it was good . There are trainers and extrainers on here who have more knowledge on this.
Cheers Paul

Any course correctly structured to suit the needs of the candidate/s should not be exceedingly exhausting or boring. But, as I’ve said almost to the point of destruction, many “instructors” are truck drivers sitting in the passenger seat. Most are untrained and unqualified and simply blag it. And I’ll admit that some, after a few years, can make a decent job of it provided they’re not faced with too many challenges. Pity if you’re a candidate during the instructors’ learning curve though.

But still be careful. I know of someone who was informed that a particular “instructor” was qualified. Following research, the qualification was a driving licence - which is the legal requirement. We’re getting big hauliers joining in now; don’t be afraid to ask questions. Just because they are big hauliers doesn’t make them good training centres automatically.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: