Want some honest answers about future work as an HGV driver

Hi guys.

So I am booked for my Class 2 with PSTT for January - looking forward to it and hopefully passing it will be painless :wink:

I just want some honest views on future work as an HGV driver. I currently work in a warehouse in Warrington area. Earning around 1300-1400 in bank a month (that includes a 180 bonus that is not a given, although we hit the bonus target often but will be more and more hard to do it) so around 16000-16500 a year after taxes. just an honest question - will I earn more than that as an HGV driver ? I do understand hours are longer etc. - I’m ok with this. Mainly looking for answers from people in the north west area.

Still on the verge of going PAYE or LTD, but that’s discussion for another day.

Best source is go to indeed.co.uk and type in hgv driver for warrington area. That will give you an indication of what is available and pay etc etc.

Class 2 work may get harder after New Year. Large employers like Nisa, Costcutter and just announced today on news P&H are struggling and on verge of administration. All three heavily use class 2 for deliveries. Booker was swallowed up by Tesco which means low paid Stobart work.

My outside bet for you is Royal Mail. Decent pay as premiums attached.They heavily use class 2 and once in and settled they will pay for your C&E should you wish to go for it. Plus they operate artics out of Warrington as a major hub.

Bafferty:
Best source is go to indeed.co.uk and type in hgv driver for warrington area. That will give you an indication of what is available and pay etc etc.

Class 2 work may get harder after New Year. Large employers like Nisa, Costcutter and just announced today on news P&H are struggling and on verge of administration. All three heavily use class 2 for deliveries. Booker was swallowed up by Tesco which means low paid Stobart work.

My outside bet for you is Royal Mail. Decent pay as premiums attached.They heavily use class 2 and once in and settled they will pay for your C&E should you wish to go for it. Plus they operate artics out of Warrington as a major hub.

thanks for that. I was looking at indeed, but it’s always best to have some first hand answers :wink: I will be looking at getting class 1 after. just wanted to see what is happening out there before I make some decisions. looking at general north west area. obviously i understand that until I get some experience it will be hard to find anything decent.

If you don’t mind a bit of ■■■■■■■ then Brakes and such who deliver food to catering etc are always looking, then there’s bakeries, though early starts are part and parcel of such work, then laundry’s, lots of sectors.

Talking of parcels, there’s another field but you’ll either like it or hate it, multi multi drop with a lot more drops on top.

You should be able to gross comfortably over £25k without working yourself into an early grave, so long as you don’t mind a bit of work you’ll do fine.

Try to get on something full time and avoid the agency parasites if you can.

You will definitely earn more then what you are on now. Just be careful many firms take the â– â– â– â–  and offer a low wage to new passes claiming it offsets the high insurance/risk.

I started with brakes this week on food service so cat C multi drop. Basic is north of £25k and there’s bonuses to earn on top of that. I’m in the Midlands so dunno if their pay changes much region to region.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sicko691:
16000-16500 a year after taxes. just an honest question - will I earn more than that as an HGV driver ?

Yes

Bafferty:

Personally i’d ignore that as you have more chance of platting ■■■■ than getting a full time job with Royal Mail as a new pass. Seasonal work maybe but even then that is unlikely.

IronEddie:
I started with brakes this week on food service so cat C multi drop. Basic is north of £25k and there’s bonuses to earn on top of that. I’m in the Midlands so dunno if their pay changes much region to region.

Let me know how that works out for you. There is a big Brakes depot in Warrington. Remember when they were building it and I applied for a warehouse job, but ended up somewhere else.

sicko691:

IronEddie:

Let me know how that works out for you. There is a big Brakes depot in Warrington. Remember when they were building it and I applied for a warehouse job, but ended up somewhere else.

Currently on weeks class room training which hasn’t been bad at all. Practical walkthrough of vehicle checks today which as a new pass I found very useful.

Next week get buddied up and out on the road that’ll be the case for a few weeks until everyone’s happy I’ll be ok solo. Heard good and bad about brakes but I’ll say thus far they seem to be serious about the training if nothing else. I’m enjoying it anyway.

Long term who knows? But I currently feel like it’s a good place to cut my teeth as a newbie.

I did I trial day prior to getting an offer of employment. And it is hard graft, especially food service where you’re picking off the back of the wagon at each drop.

sicko691:
Hi guys.

So I am booked for my Class 2 with PSTT for January - looking forward to it and hopefully passing it will be painless :wink:

I just want some honest views on future work as an HGV driver. I currently work in a warehouse in Warrington area. Earning around 1300-1400 in bank a month (that includes a 180 bonus that is not a given, although we hit the bonus target often but will be more and more hard to do it) so around 16000-16500 a year after taxes. just an honest question - will I earn more than that as an HGV driver ? I do understand hours are longer etc. - I’m ok with this. Mainly looking for answers from people in the north west area.

Are you planning on staying Class 2 or moving up to Class 1?

eagerbeaver:

sicko691:
Hi guys.

Are you planning on staying Class 2 or moving up to Class 1?

eventually planning on moving to class 1, but it won’t happen straight away as money will be tight after I pay for class 2. it’s a big change of career for me, as I’m 32 now and been working mainly warehouses but driving I always liked and wanted to do something like that, but it’s always been put off, then kids were born etc. but now I feel like I needed to do something about it as current job is making me more and more miserable which even my missus noticed :confused:

If you look hard enough you will get a job without a doubt ( same goes for any industry imo )

If you dont hit it lucky straight away ( plenty have ) you will in time find a job that pays a much better salary than your warehouse wage mentioned

Good Luck

ANY LGV job that doesn’t pay minimum more than 6k better than 16500 should be rejected on the spot and even then you should aim higher. They are out there.

Tommy7437:
If you look hard enough you will get a job without a doubt ( same goes for any industry imo )

If you dont hit it lucky straight away ( plenty have ) you will in time find a job that pays a much better salary than your warehouse wage mentioned

Good Luck

thanks for that mate

As said, Breaks in Warrington will take new drivers. They offered me a job when I was on rigids but by the time their offer came I was already training for artic. I’ve heard good and bad things, but the bad only seems to be from drivers moaning about the physicality of the job (multi drop etc) but as a new driver you should have no problem with this.

Agencies around the Merseyside and Cheshire are all parasites and treat new drivers like crap so always avoid unless desperate.

If you struggle finding a job with Breaks have a talk with Home and Bargains who are local as they take on rigid drivers (so I believe). Swissport at Liverpool Airport also take new drivers on.

Class 2 work around Warrington (other than Brakes) isn’t that great to be honest mate.

I normally recommend P&H at Haydock as a good start, but that’s no longer an option. If you do your Class 1, Stobart will take you on out of Appleton.

(Make sure you tell them that Peter Smythe recommended you :wink: )

Try to do all your training in your spare time ,go straight to class 1, try a job now and again on your days off. This will kind of give you an idea whats to come if you decide to do it full time. Ideally sit on your licence for two years before leaving your current job . The grass is not greener etc etc and sounds like you are going to take substantial wage cut also so be careful what you decide . Good luck.

Victa1:
Try to do all your training in your spare time ,go straight to class 1, try a job now and again on your days off. This will kind of give you an idea whats to come if you decide to do it full time. Ideally sit on your licence for two years before leaving your current job . The grass is not greener etc etc and sounds like you are going to take substantial wage cut also so be careful what you decide . Good luck.

Now why on earth would you want him to do thatâ– â– ?

Victa1:
The grass is not greener etc etc and sounds like you are going to take substantial wage cut also so be careful what you decide

The guys on £16000 a year. Thats pretty much national minimum wage.

There are some shysters about but i’m pretty sure he won’t be taking a pay cut.

Jimmy McNulty:

Victa1:
The grass is not greener etc etc and sounds like you are going to take substantial wage cut also so be careful what you decide

The guys on £16000 a year. Thats pretty much national minimum wage.

There are some shysters about but i’m pretty sure he won’t be taking a pay cut.

well 16k after taxes, so around 18500 i think i had on last p60 :wink: