Trainer Data Analysis

Just wondering if individual training schools analyze test failures and if they do what action do they take in response?
What is the most common test fail - does it vary with the seasons and has it changed over the years?

I am only answering for me. Yes, all fails (yes we do get some) are analysed. Each quarter, every instructor is given a document showing how many tests they’ve done and the outcomes. This includes a graph taking all the DL25 (driving test report) topics and any serious faults. In addition to this, all our instructors are check tested monthly to ensure that standards are upheld and any remedial advice is given.

If an instructor accrues 3 or more serious faults in the same category over a 3 month period, a training session is organised and conducted without delay. We have a dedicated in house instructor trainer whose task it is to maintain these standards. His performance is, in turn, monitored by me and I will accompany him when he is out training both instructors and learners.

We don’t have a “common test fail” because, if we did, it would have been sorted out.

Our regime is particularly onerous for the trainers but the right calibre of trainer actually welcomes this challenge. Those who cant get along with that don’t work for us. Simple. Let them go somewhere else.

I have only fired one instructor over the last 35 years; he was in his first week and thought it would be a good plan to collect his sandwiches from the rack on the back of a 53 seater coach having first asked the candidate to make a certain, almost impossible, left turn on his first day on the road. The coach needed 2 new panels and the railings weren’t looking good. It’s called dereliction of duty. I took over the candidate, started the course from scratch and the guy subsequently passed with a clean sheet.

In honestly, I’m soft as pudding with my trainers provided the job is done to the highest possible standards. But someone who wants to be left alone wont cut it with me. It’s to do with ensuring the customer has the best possible training experience, hopefully leading to the desired outcome.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete - and very impressive, your training school is the best by far IMHO - you trained me and got me two passes so you must be pretty good :laughing: