HGV Agencies To Avoid

Hi,

About to start a HGV drivers job hunt are they any agencies you’ve been with that have been a nightmare to stay away from?

Milestone/Drivers plus/Staffline or whatever name they go by nowdays. They told me to accept a lower wage on PAYE or leave as I refused to go on the self employed con job.

Transline are liars and try forcing you to go S/E.

Drivers Direct like to tell you over inflated wages before stinging you with the real figures.

All of them? /s

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
All of them? /s

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

+1

We’re OK so far, but please be careful that what you say doesn’t amount to defamation otherwise the Mod/Admin Team will have to remove potentially libellous posts.

:bulb: This type of subject matter is best done by PMs where the lawyers can’t see what’s being said. :wink:

You have a habit of asking very open ended questions :grimacing:

There is a agency about promising a £500 starting bonus but often don’t pay there drivers. They go by many different names but the adverts are always the same. Someone made a thread about the, on the forum with a list of their many names. I know one of their names is Eu Haul.
Regardless if you see a job advert promising a £500 starting bonus steer clear.

dieseldave:
We’re OK so far, but please be careful that what you say doesn’t amount to defamation otherwise the Mod/Admin Team will have to remove potentially libellous posts.

:bulb: This type of subject matter is best done by PMs where the lawyers can’t see what’s being said. :wink:

censorship of the truth ?
If you post the truth why would it be libellous ?

Beetlejuice:

dieseldave:

Because the truth is subjective and it’s not easy to tell if the poster is objective.

Personal experiences of a particular agency in a certain location are allowed but anything else is pure speculation

General views on all agencies are permitted

Beetlejuice:

dieseldave:

Because you have to prove its true, not them prove it isn’t. That can be harder than you think.

Just screen dump the whole of indeed for the lies…

Used a few in central Scotland and they’ve all been totally fine. When there’s a problem it’s usually to do with the client firm employing you through the agency as they see agency drivers as a last resort when they’re short of their own drivers and tend to speak derogatorily of them.

Sure Scotland: Big operation based in Livingston will find you work across the central belt. They have shi.tloads of work. Only take you on PAYE terms. Can occasionally be hard to get hold of who you’re after on the phone as they have so much work on the go. Individual clients may require long, extensive assessment drives.

Recruitment Direct: Smaller central belt firm. Had a reasonable range of work. Easy to deal with. They use a third party to pay your wages who charge £15 a week to do so which was very annoying as there was nothing you could do about this and they only tell you about it after a week’s work.

TTS 24/7: Smaller firm based in Bathgate (arm of TTS driver training). Good to deal with - always available. Take PAYE or LTD. Nice, honest firm with plenty of clean, easy work (lots of trunking for Drummond in Armadale - pis.s easy stuff). They do a 40 minute assessment in house so can tell clients you’ve already been assessed which is handy.

Lots of people will slag off agencies like it’s an Olympic sport but the best way to find out is to try it for yourself. I’ve had issues like a week’s tramping being cancelled at the last minute but that’s the client doing that, not the agency! Agencies profit by getting you into work so they have an interest in seeing you busy. Yes, you will have to deal with a few dafties but, generally speaking, if you do the work you’re given well and don’t wreck things a lot of the clients will offer you full time work so it’s a decent way to get a foot in.

Beetlejuice:

No, it’s nothing to do with censorship.

Links to reported stories from newspapers, TV news or other credible sources are perfectly OK, because they take responsibility for what they’ve written.

If somebody on here were to write “Agency ■■■ told me a pack of lies and then didn’t pay me etc etc” then nobody has any way of verifying whether it is true.

If it turns out to be a lie, then it’s defamation, which could leave TN (and the person who posted it) liable to be sued.

So it’s really not censorship, just an understanding of current law and the wish that none of us (including the owners of TN) wants to be a test case for a relatively new law so such posts have to be removed at least until they can be verified. Sometimes, a story cannot be verified, or the other side doesn’t want to debate publicly, so it can all end up being very skewed indeed.

The other issue we have with this is that there are those who for their own reasons would deliberately use TN as a vehicle to publicly further their agenda against an ex-employer whether or not it’s true.

It’s all in the forum rules.

Agencies have their place to a degree. The issue comes when agencies and or workers try to use agencies for their benefit and earning more money.

Agencies should be a temporary stop gap or to find a way in to a permanent job at a particular place.

That’s how agencies worked in their early years.

Problem is agencies get greedy and so do the workers and it ■■■■■ it all up in the long run.

As for the whole LTD, SE umbrella and PAYE issue not even going to start on that one. If they don’t offer PAYE walk away.

Far too much tax fiddling has gone on and HMRC are trying to close all the loopholes and the extra earnings you get for SE, LTD can bite you in the bum further down the line.

Oh and agencies will lie to you its in their interest the same as a company will lie to you for their gain, sometimes it will be the agency messing you around because they have to many people on their books and not enough work and sometimes it will be because the client has cancelled at the last minute.

People think being on an agency is all rosy for a long term future, it’s not full time employment is a far better proposition.

I just had pertemps insist that the royal mail contract is on going year round .

Beetlejuice:
I just had pertemps insist that the royal mail contract is on going year round .

I’ve never driven for RM but did do a stint in their Warrington depot office and agency drivers were used from the last week in November until the first week in January then binned off.

ItsJoe:

Beetlejuice:

I’ve never driven for RM but did do a stint in their Warrington depot office and agency drivers were used from the last week in November until the first week in January then binned off.

Yep January and bye bye .But I just had a heated debate over messenger with one of pertemps recruiters who insisted it had never happened with her lads … Obviously it does, a few of my pals work for them full time lol .
So blatant B.S. Pertemps .
Best avoided ,I’d rather they said look it is so much per hour more but ends on such n such a date …
:unamused:

Braveheart2009:
are they any agencies you’ve been with that have been a nightmare to stay away from?

All of them. ■■■■■■■ nightmare and I have sat on all three sides of the phone

Andrew.simmons:
Milestone/Drivers plus/Staffline or whatever name they go by nowdays. They told me to accept a lower wage on PAYE or leave as I refused to go on the self employed con job.

Transline are liars and try forcing you to go S/E.

Drivers Direct like to tell you over inflated wages before stinging you with the real figures.

This Transline? :open_mouth: :sunglasses:

theguardian.com/business/20 … se-workers

beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03399634

They are now called nexus