Eddie Stobart Black Friday Sale!

Eddie Stobart are having a #BLACKFRIDAY SALE!

==============================================
Mod’s edit:
The above is now a piece of news, the rest was removed for breach of forum rule #5 on advertising without permission. dd.

Eddie Stobart is synonymous with high quality and excellence. We have always trained our drivers to the highest standards

Really? :sunglasses:

According to that link ES has its own DVSA examiner. Didn’t know that was possible.
How can he be impartial?

adam277:

Eddie Stobart is synonymous with high quality and excellence. We have always trained our drivers to the highest standards

Really? :sunglasses:

According to that link ES has its own DVSA examiner. Didn’t know that was possible.
How can he be impartial?

I think they mean they have a similar set up to Peter Smythe the forum sponsor where a regular examiner does the tests at their own site … that is just an assumption

Quite possibly.

When I did my training at Roadtrain though they had examiners on site but there was a clear separation between the examiners and instructors. The Roadtrain depot was a DVSA test site so other schools came as well to get tested by the examiners. The link clearly says he works for ES.
I’ve always assumed PSTT was the same set up as Roadtrain a DVSA test site so other schools came in to get their students tested.

To clear up the confusion, ES has a “delegated examiner”. This means he is DVSA trained (in fact, the guy used to work as a DVSA examiner in a former life). The examiner is on ES staff. The downside is that he can only test folks who are employed, or are going to be employed by ES. He cannot test the public.

I had the first private driving test centre in the UK - now coming up for 10 years. With this, the examiners are seconded to us on a daily basis by DVSA who also fully employ them. Roadtrain is the same - nearly. Only folks trained by us are able to be tested on our site. Roadtrain customers get the same benefit. But other schools can book tests at Roadtrain premises.

Hope this helps.

BTW, we’ll match any like for like training quote.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I was trained at Stobart. Their school is top notch and have a great bunch of trainers. All their kit is brand new too. Glen, the examiner, is a top professional and completely impartial when on test. You’ll see him around when training because he’s there most days either doing tests or other work.

I don’t work for Stobart and never have done, he can test members of the public.

he can test members of the public.

Sorry, but he cant. It breaks all the rules of delegated examiner status.

Am I not a member of the public then Pete?

I have no idea. But if you were never going to work for ES or never worked for ES then your test was not conducted within the regulations.

gov.uk/guidance/employing-d … sibilities

So you decide.

They probably get around that by guaranteeing an interview with Stobart after you pas your CE. I personally think having a delegated examiner gives them an edge on any training school so I’m sure they wouldn’t risk not doing things by the book!

It’s no advantage at all so far as pass or fail goes. Glen is a great guy (yes, I know him) and he will tell you that his pass rate is very average. I have mentioned to him that if we had his pass rate I’d be slashing my wrists - having first sacked all the trainers! We all have our own standards I suppose.

Whether the promise of an interview once someone has passed their test falls within the rules, I doubt. But I’m not trying to pull them apart; merely correcting the statement that they could test public.

They conduct about a dozen tests a week so it’s not worth talking about pass rates. When I was there, most passed so it can’t be that bad!

Having an Examiner on the staff. Average pass rate … might be in their interest to get people paying for a retest :question:

Jimmy McNulty:
Having an Examiner on the staff. Average pass rate … might be in their interest to get people paying for a retest :question:

A retest is £233. That includes DVSA test fee, 3 hours training prior and then use of the truck for two hours.

Take out the £115 fee for the DVSA and they’re left with £118. So they’re not making a profit on that.

I’ve looked on the site - and can’t find any mention of this deal. Is it real?

£1080 including VAT seems pretty reasonable for a class 1 course. And there retest fee is very good - given you get a practise few hours before the retest.

I have my retest for class 2 in just under a month. And I’m worried I’ll have completely forgotten how to drive a truck by then. So I like the sound of that. I might email PS and ask if I can pay to do a few hours a few days before the retest - as my partner will be working in Nottingham then. It will be over a month since I drove a truck - and even then I wasn’t good enough so it seems smart.

If it was a legit offer I’d be tempted to put down a deposit for after I’ve passed class 2. I’ve made up my mind I will pass it even if it takes me 10 attempts lol. And I’d like to be able to do class one. After that I’d never have to do another driving test again. And as I hate driving tests - I’d be very happy about that.

ItsJoe:
They conduct about a dozen tests a week so it’s not worth talking about pass rates. When I was there, most passed so it can’t be that bad!

In the first sentence you say it’s not worth talking about pass rates. (I dont know why?)
In the second sentence you talk about pass rates.
Quite an achievement in a two sentence post.

[emoji53]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Annoys me when business list a price and put + VAT next to it. Just give me one number inclusive of everything!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Annoys me when business list a price and put + VAT next to it. Just give me one number inclusive of everything!

And you’re correct to be annoyed.

There are rules about including VAT in advertised prices to the public. There is also a requirement to include any other fees that will inevitably occur. In this case, that’s the driving test fee.

I completely understand that anyone would want to know exactly what the price is without having to resort to a calculator and trying to figure out if test fees are included or not.

NB Many trainers’ websites fall foul of this so I’m not referring simply to ES. Very few websites include the driving test fee as it makes the price appear to be greater than a competitor. But doesn’t make it right.

I removed prices from our website a while ago for this very reason. Our displayed prices were apparently higher than most but, in reality, were very competitive as were fully inclusive.

Franglais:

ItsJoe:

In the first sentence you say it’s not worth talking about pass rates. (I dont know why?)

[emoji53]

My first sentence was in the context of you cannot compare the pass rate of a school that could have more pupils going through test in a single week to one with considerably less pupils being tested. That’s a bit like comparing crime rates in Knutsford with Liverpool.

Any way, Stobart’s training school was brilliant for me. They offer two things that no public school can offer, a delegated examiner and a guaranteed job as long as you’re not an idiot. So for a new pass, you can get your experience at Stobart and move on if you wish.

ItsJoe:

Franglais:

ItsJoe:

[emoji53]

My first sentence was in the context of you cannot compare the pass rate of a school that could have more pupils going through test in a single week to one with considerably less pupils being tested. That’s a bit like comparing crime rates in Knutsford with Liverpool.

Any way, Stobart’s training school was brilliant for me. They offer two things that no public school can offer, a delegated examiner and a guaranteed job as long as you’re not an idiot. So for a new pass, you can get your experience at Stobart and move on if you wish.

But surely using “rates” rather than absolute numbers makes sense.
The pass rate could be expressed as a fraction or as a percentage or whatever.
In your example, comparing crime rates in Knutsford and Liverpool would be perfectly valid. They could be given as a rate of x crimes per 1,000 capita per annum? Giving absolute numbers of crimes wouldnt` be valuable as the two places have very different populations.