Dilema

Hi all need your help. Currently working for a company but have an interview Monday for someone else.my problem is we’re not allowed to drive for anybody else so I don’t know if that means even an assement drive as I don’t want to lose my current job if I don’t fancy the new one.anyone help

Welcome to the logistics idiocy!

Technically an assessment isn’t working for someone else so your current employer can’t say diddly about it.

But as your obviously aware it WILL show up on a Digicard download so depends on what your current employer says about it

You can say you went for an assessment and see what they say.

They might not even mention it ? Have my doubts half time they even look at it. My last employer never mentioned the several times I had assessments show up on my card.

Bugs me big time that assessments expect a card inserted. To me it should just be put on out of scope with no card in.

Edit : Make sure that if you do use card it doesn’t interfere with daily weekly rests!! Your current employer will def have something to say if that happened!!!

There’s no easy answer to this but if your that worried about current company then you might want to reassess where you want to go in future or else you’ll be trapped by not wanting them to know if you go for any assessment in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try the “I have temporarily misplaced my card so will do a manual entry” routine :bulb:

I wouldn’t worry about it.

Go for the new job, IF your current employer picks up on it, then maybe they will wake up and smell the roses!

How often does your current company download your details from the card?
Are they likely to even know?

Sorry gov, I have lost my card, I will apply for a new one, I will do the print outs, all legal like. OH I found my card when I got home. It would be like you were never there (in your employers eyes), or you could try to explain the situation to the potential employers, I dont see why you need to use a card anyway, you aren’t being paid for the assessment so it isn’t strictly speaking commercial driving isit?
Tommy.

Where i am the assessment is the very last thing and usually a formality i was offered the job and the assessment when suitable for both parties.

So if it were me i’d go for the job and do the interview and if they ask you to go on assessment before the gut feelings both sides are formed, or worse still do the assessment then we’ll interview you, i think you can judge what the job is worth from their attitude.

I would not be doing assessments willy nilly, as confirmation of a job pencilled in, yes.

I don’t know employment law but surely your current employer has to allow you to go for another job and complete tests/assessments as required. They may not like it, they may grumble but I would think you’d have a serious case against them if they did anything to punish you for it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
I don’t know employment law but surely your current employer has to allow you to go for another job and complete tests/assessments as required. They may not like it, they may grumble but I would think you’d have a serious case against them if they did anything to punish you for it.

I have been an IT manager for the last 20 years and have hired and fired many people over that period.
You would have a fantastic watertight case at an employment tribunal had your employer sacked you for seeking alternative employment. There wouldn’t be an HR or company legal team in the land that would attempt to defend a company who tried to stop people from seeking another job.

In a nutshell, go do your assessment and good luck :slight_smile:

rabb:

IronEddie:

I have been an IT manager for the last 20 years and have hired and fired many people over that period.
You would have a fantastic watertight case at an employment tribunal had your employer sacked you for seeking alternative employment. There wouldn’t be an HR or company legal team in the land that would attempt to defend a company who tried to stop people from seeking another job.

The only issue is if as above it interferes with weekly rest. However a one off shouldn’t be an issue

kcrussell25:

rabb:

IronEddie:

The only issue is if as above it interferes with weekly rest. However a one off shouldn’t be an issue

The best policy would obviously be to inform your employer of your intention prior to attending an interview / assessment but I’ll stand by my original post, there is no way on god’s earth any company can legally prevent you from seeking alternative employment. At best, they could ask to be reimbursed if they paid for your class 1 for instance.

There was a clause in my employment contract that stated I couldn’t work for a competitor for 12 months if I left my job. My legal advice at the time was “Sign the contract as they cannot legally prevent you from working if you chose to leave”.

I do concede that the weekly rest period needs to be adhered to but I honestly don’t see an issue here.

Thanks everyone for all your help. The thing is I don’t have to use my card at work as I use tugs stunting but my employer gets us to download our card every week.

Benskingdom:
Thanks everyone for all your help. The thing is I don’t have to use my card at work as I use tugs stunting but my employer gets us to download our card every week.

Just be honest and tell them.
If your line manager is worth their salt, he/she won’t have any issue with you getting on in life. I certainly wouldn’t have held it against anyone. I wouldn’t have been happy if a good employee was looking to move on but there would be no ill will involved, it is what it is.