Coupling/uncoupling exercise

Might have been posted before, but I came across this demonstration …

All drivers going for the class 1 training and unsure nervous etc , it shows the correct procedure … it will give you a heads up on what to expect when you start training.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TeVzwQ4o1B0

Been there watched it and doing it with that company :wink:

i see he is not doing the much taught ’ BLACK ’ procedure .

Watched the first minute,he tells you 3 times to make sure the trailer brake is on but doesn’t actually show and tell where the brake is and how to tell if it’s on or not :open_mouth:

xichrisxi:
Watched the first minute,he tells you 3 times to make sure the trailer brake is on but doesn’t actually show and tell where the brake is and how to tell if it’s on or not :open_mouth:

The only place I have not found a trailer brake is on the back of the trailer (or roof!)

I would’ve liked to have seen the suspension raised when engaging the pin as it stops the chance of the legs being bent when doing a tug test and also the suspension needs to be lowered when exiting from under the trailer so the rear spray suppression don’t come into contact with the trailer again possibly causing damage .

Sand Fisher:

xichrisxi:

The only place I have not found a trailer brake is on the back of the trailer (or roof!)

But the point of the video is to show a rookie how to do the job of uncoupling & coupling which should include a detailed description of the trailer brake operation…quite a few on our place the stickers showing what’s “on” & “off” with regards to the brake have either worn away or been jet washed away by our over enthusiastic truck washer!!
Given that the trailer brake being on and off can be the difference between life or death in certain circumstances I’d of thought the narrator of the video would have gone into more depth that’s all and shown the trailer brake operation.

Trailer brakes, yes, they could have shown the on/off positions. But they’d be there for an hour showing possible locations, I’ve come across, so far…

Front N/S on the head board
Front N/S on the side at the head board
Front N/S near the legs
Rear N/S near the suspension lever
Rear O/S because it’s a random location
Rear O/S just in front of the axles
Front O/S near the legs
Front O/S near the pin

There are probably a few more too…

If anyone is coming to me for CE, please ignore this (and just about all other) videos. I would far rather train you correctly. You need to know, not only how to pass a test, but how to operate the equipment without causing damage.

On the same subject, there is a “trainer” not far from me who has plastered videos all over utube. If you follow the method of coupling and uncoupling you would fail THREE times over and wouldn’t get out of the yard. I urge everyone to be very wary of videos as there is zero quality control.

Conversely, all my trainers are monitored each month so that no nasty habits can creep in and the training remains top quality.

And no, I wont be putting an instructional video on utube. This happens to be how I earn my living so I like to charge a modest amount so I can keep a roof over my head.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

discoman:
Might have been posted before, but I came across this demonstration …

All drivers going for the class 1 training and unsure nervous etc , it shows the correct procedure … it will give you a heads up on what to expect when you start training.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TeVzwQ4o1B0

Sorry mate there’s a major fault with that video and it’s bloody dangerous because of that! No mention of the UNIT PARK BRAKE!

Failed my first class 1 test after druving the full test really well one minor. Got back to the test centre for the coupling uncoupling and the bottle went. Hooked up clip in no plate on suzies on forgot brake legs. I could not believe this had the tester shouting and blinding at me. Rightly so. Back the next week and passed with flying colours best way is stay calm no in any situation. Safe to say ave been driving 18 months now and not one bump. Touch wood… expensive mistake. Double check and double double check if you think you have forgot anything