1st Job

The career change is almost complete now.

After successfully completing my C then C+E, I put my notice in and hit the job sites. After a week, I have several offers (varying hourly rates) of employment.

I have my ADR course next week which should further increase my earning potential but to be honest, I haven’t done it for the money. I just couldn’t sustain 80 hr weeks anymore. My old job consumed my life and home life too. Glad to be out of it now.

I’ll take the job that best fits my family life.

The only question now is what do the experienced guys recommend I have in my rucksack (other than a flask) as a day driver?

Same here pal. Worked in an office from aged 16 and got fed up. The pay was brilliant but the job was making me depressed so I took the pay hit and left to become a trucker and I love what I do now.

As for what you take out with you I think it’s all down to personal preferences. Other people’s setup might not suit your own. On my cat C I first started bringing nothing with me and by a month in I was taking with me everything but the kitchen sink!

My day bag has:

Sarnies
Drink
Instruction book for the Tachograph (in case I get in a muddle making a manual entry or whatever)
Spare Tacho rolls (just in case i drive a different motor)
Tablet for using Google maps/Streetview for the strange (made up) addresses on the run sheet
Headache tablets (for the above)
Satnav
Specs
Philips truck atlas.

Tailor yours to suit.

Nobby_Clarke:
My day bag has:

Sarnies
Drink
Instruction book for the Tachograph (in case I get in a muddle making a manual entry or whatever)
Tablet for using Google maps/Streetview for the strange (made up) addresses on the run sheet
Satnav
Specs
Philips truck atlas.

Tailor yours to suit.

Much the same with the addition of;
Spare set of clothes
Deodorant
Bulbs
Spare gloves
Spare charger
Sunglasses
Straps
Tie wraps
Fuses
Small tool kit

You will find in time what suits your needs best.
I do a lot of waiting around, so I have books, kettle, water etc.

Good luck in your new career :grimacing:

Markyboy1008:

Nobby_Clarke:
My day bag has:

Sarnies
Drink
Satnav
Specs
Philips truck atlas.

Tailor yours to suit.

Much the same with the addition of;
Spare set of clothes
Deodorant
Bulbs
Spare gloves
Spare charger
Sunglasses
Straps
Tie wraps
Fuses
Small tool kit

You will find in time what suits your needs best.
I do a lot of waiting around, so I have books, kettle, water etc.

Good luck in your new career :grimacing:

A basic first aid kit including Imodium and indigestion tablets is worth having as well

So you all take like a rucksack with you is it guys for each job you go on?

All day drivers should take a sleeping bag and a pillow and wash kit, razor and toothbrush/paste.
There is nothing worse than sleeping in a cab in your clothes.
An unplanned night out can happen to anyone due to a road closure or accident.
The office will say no agency driver to rescue you.
The truck may not have cab curtains and a working night heater.
Chuck a sleeping bag in a large kit or sports bag.
Even if you do get rescued, there are rules on working time on how you get back to the yard.
Using their company car or van to get back to base is not a daily rest.
Not sure if its OK in a private vehicle.

Here’s an example ; You have done a 15 hour day which ends at 21.00 and need 9 hours daily rest .

You get picked up at 22.00 ,its a 2 hour trip back to base, with a 9 hour daily rest, you can work 06.00 the next day.

At midnight arrive yard, you live an hour away, home at one am.
Eat, shower, in bed by two am.
Wake up four am for coffee and breakfast.
Drive an hour back to the yard.
Total sleep two hours then another 15 hour day or a ten hour drive .

ItsJoe:
Same here pal. Worked in an office from aged 16 and got fed up. The pay was brilliant but the job was making me depressed so I took the pay hit and left to become a trucker and I love what I do now.

I’m much in the same situation. I have been working for the same company now for 18 years as an expatriate working overseas and just do not enjoy the job anymore and makes me depressed to be honest.
At 47 years old I passed my Cat C in June 17 and my C+E in October 17 to fulfil a childhood dream. Now I have done this I just need to have the balls to throw the towel in and do what i have always wanted to do… I plan to do this next year and I would love to long distance tamping work eventually Europe and beyond if possible

Well done on passing c and c&e mate! I am only c just now and am new. Most wouldn’t call truck driving good hours, but from 80 hours a week, you will probably see the benefit!
As for what to take with you, IDK, I have in my bag, daily drinks and food, glucose meter and fast carb tablets (because the dvsa are knuts and I have to check blood glucose every 2 hours) trainers for if my feet hurt in my boots and I am doing 2/3 hours driving, window cleaner in a spray bottle (the sun on a dirty screen makes vision near impossible) and a roll of kitchen paper, sun glasses, phone holder to stick to screen and charger, spare phone which has nav software on it (Navmii) my driving diary (I record all work, pay and hours in it, also any issues and stick the tacho print out into it if I feel the need for one) and air freshner! Agency trucks can be the dirtiest places I have found.
I think that is about it. this is just for day driving, I also make sure I have cash with me for emergencies.
ATB,
Tommy.

andyf3110:

ItsJoe:

I’m much in the same situation. I have been working for the same company now for 18 years as an expatriate working overseas and just do not enjoy the job anymore and makes me depressed to be honest.
At 47 years old I passed my Cat C in June 17 and my C+E in October 17 to fulfil a childhood dream. Now I have done this I just need to have the balls to throw the towel in and do what i have always wanted to do… I plan to do this next year and I would love to long distance tamping work eventually Europe and beyond if possible

I took the plunge mate and put my notice in as an IT manager. I started out on the tools nearly 30 years ago and finished my HGV apprenticeship with Leyland DAF at the time. I worked on the tools for a year or two after that then somehow ended up in IT hardware. I climbed the ladder into management but I absolutely detest it now. The money was certainly good but the hours, the crap and the toll it takes on your health and family life just isn’t worth it.

HGV’s are in my family and in my blood. I grew up around mechanics and drivers (grandad, uncles etc). I always wanted to drive but never ever got round to it. If I can get away with 50 hrs or so a week driving I’ll be a happy man :slight_smile:

TommyTanker:
Well done on passing c and c&e mate! I am only c just now and am new. Most wouldn’t call truck driving good hours, but from 80 hours a week, you will probably see the benefit!
As for what to take with you, IDK, I have in my bag, daily drinks and food, glucose meter and fast carb tablets (because the dvsa are knuts and I have to check blood glucose every 2 hours) trainers for if my feet hurt in my boots and I am doing 2/3 hours driving, window cleaner in a spray bottle (the sun on a dirty screen makes vision near impossible) and a roll of kitchen paper, sun glasses, phone holder to stick to screen and charger, spare phone which has nav software on it (Navmii) my driving diary (I record all work, pay and hours in it, also any issues and stick the tacho print out into it if I feel the need for one) and air freshner! Agency trucks can be the dirtiest places I have found.
I think that is about it. this is just for day driving, I also make sure I have cash with me for emergencies.
ATB,
Tommy.

80 hrs is a conservative estimate mate. It consumed my life for years. I’m just one of around 5 managers from the same company who have either chucked it or gone off with stress this year alone.

Good shout on the shoes, as someone who does a lot of driving around the UK, I do confess to wearing my crocs with a suit whilst on the road. Smart shoes go on at ■■■■ stops and offices only :slight_smile: