Automatic or Manual?

In the process of deciding on my training provider (local one sorry Pete)… and the company I am looking at state the lorry is an automatic…

Might sound silly this quesion… but, if I was to learn in an automatic how would I be able to drive a manual if I was given a manual when I start working?

Or is a manual gearbox in a class 2 straight forward, as it is with a car■■?

Confused :confused:

I learnt in a manual 18 tonner which had a total of 8 gears. It had a box called a slap-over gearbox because after gear 4 you have to slap it over into the higher range gears. It definitely takes a little getting used to, but, honestly, if you can drive a manual car, you should have no problem once you are used to the gearbox.

The way I see it, most lorries are automatic these days anyway. Rigids are a little behind artics in the race but they are getting there. I drive a 26 tonne rigid and all of the ones my company has are auto anyway! I haven’t touched a manual since my test!

jordon1703:
I learnt in a manual 18 tonner which had a total of 8 gears. It had a box called a slap-over gearbox because after gear 4 you have to slap it over into the higher range gears. It definitely takes a little getting used to, but, honestly, if you can drive a manual car, you should have no problem once you are used to the gearbox.

The way I see it, most lorries are automatic these days anyway. Rigids are a little behind artics in the race but they are getting there. I drive a 26 tonne rigid and all of the ones my company has are auto anyway! I haven’t touched a manual since my test!

Cool nice one mate, so shouldn’t be an issue then :stuck_out_tongue:

Most newer rigids are a standard 6 speed gearbox,do whatever makes it easier to pass your test…Auto gearbox’s removes some of the elements of the test that could cause you a minor or serious mark which could result in a failure,go for Auto and worry about gears when you’ve got your pass cert.

Just my take on it,but would do it in a manual for the simple reason a manual goes when you tell it to,not like some of the half arsed auto boxes who only go when they have finally decided to.
Enough posts on here about getting round a roundabout on your test without having the will it or won’t it go when I want it to situation.dont want an auto box to be couple of seconds behind what you want it to do on a roundabout and end up with a minor or a serious.

Hi,
I learned in an 18T auto, my first job was a manual 6 speed followed by a manual 5 speed and now auto 6 speed. The two manuals were akin to a car gearbox (mine is actually 6 speed so no drama), what surprised me was when my trainer told me that I can learn in a manual then drive 16 gear trucks if the need arose… unlike a car where you must only drive autos if you pass your test in one!
Atb,
Tommy.

Whatever type of gearbox you learn in you are unlikely to see that exact gearbox again whether you choose a manual or an auto

You ASK how a gearbox etc works whenever you get one you have never seen before in a new job.

I learnt on an auto it’s good as its one less thing to think about. And when learning you’ve got enough new things to occupy your mind.

If you’ve got a manual car licence you can pass your lorry test on an auto but be licenced for both.

Drove my first manual yesterday. Straight six so just like your car, well maybe one more gear. Easy peasy tbh, got used to it in a few minutes. I’m aware splitter boxes exist but I doubt it’s that complicated. The manual definitely pulled away better at lights. My advice though is still to learn in an automatic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk