Bullet bitten

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and pointers.

Bullet bitten, Start Class 2 training at PSTT tomorrow. Look out Tim, I just hope I am not the worst candidate you have.
Will update all each day, as training is Thursday Friday Monday Tuesday with test on Wednesday.

Thanks to PSTT for making this possible and actually happen.

Update when I get home after day one tomorrow. Maybe PSTT can give you their perspective as opposed to mine !

good luck mate :wink:

I’m starting mine with PSTT in January - a weekend course for class 2.

Alright speedy good luck with it mate! Tim trained me about 3 weeks ago and I passed. He’s a good teacher mate listen to everything he says as I kept going back to van driving mode! Say hello to him for me, Matt the bloke who was late everyday!!
Again good luck mate they’re a good outfit with professional staff and decent trucks

Best of luck :smiley:

Good luck with the training, I start my Class C training on Monday with test on Friday at Ritchie’s in Glasgow.
Cheers Paul

Best of luck to the both of you.
I passed my class 2 in June and my class 1 in October.
As already said and from what also i learned, take your time, don’t rush anything, plan well ahead and use your mirrors
All the best

speedy9764:
Bullet bitten, Start Class 2 training at PSTT tomorrow. Look out Tim, I just hope I am not the worst candidate you have.

You can relax speedy - I set that bar pretty high back in the summer. :blush:

Best of luck with your training and test.

Good luck. I passed with them back I October. Enjoy the experience

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Day 1,

Arrived at site, impressed with the signage and layout, clean tidy reception and facilities had the privilege (sic) to meet THE Peter Smythe as I was signing in, had a coffee and met my instructor, Tim.
We went through the paperwork, vehicle checks etc and Tim set off to show me the expected standard, High bar then.
Today’s drive, I felt I could have done better and was disappointed with a small roll back, (that will NOT happen again - I have driven more manual than auto). Neck feels like I have been ten rounds with a sumo champion.
Having got the first day and nerves out of the way, I am looking forward to tomorrow and improving on today, should not be too hard to improve :slight_smile: I felt I had a huge amount to do to get to be able to drive at test standard, Tim did not run off to be sick or have a stiff drink
Tomorrow, once more unto the breech !
Gents, I will pass on your regards to Tim, I am amazed he never covered his eyes or cried at my driving once !

First day is the worst. I felt coshed on the head from information overload. Good night’s sleep, your brain will process everything and you’ll be surprised at your improvement on day 2.

Also I was nervous day 1 and getting over that after the first day helped me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sounds though you’re doing fine and nothing in particular to worry about. As said, the first day can be a bit overwhelming. But once it’s out of the way it’s often plain sailing with the occasional dip.

Pleased to have met you this morning. Good to hear you got a good impression as I’m unbelievably proud of the place and what we do.

All the best with the rest of it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Tim’s a fantastic instructor and a really good guy to boot I had him for my c+e your in good hands relax and enjoy and remember mirrors mirrors mirrors :laughing:

Day 2 done,
The training and practice procedures has shown me one thing.
If i do not pass, it is not due to lack of preparation, it will be due to an error I make.
Very impressed, whilst it is more than 2 hours each way to get to and from PSST I reckon it is time and money well spent.
I could have stayed on site but chose to commute.

Day 3,

First off a big sorry to Tim,
I think I scared him and we were very close to the parked vehicles. Completely my fault, brain ■■■■ today.
Went on to do more work on dealing with oncoming traffic conflicts, seems to be my main weak area as I want to get in close rather than go out and dominate the space. One day left to get all my ducks in a row with the test on Wednesday.
Again, facilities, instruction, guidance, brilliant. Pupil not so good today.

Day 3 of 5 is usually the day when you forget how to drive !

After a good nights kip then on day 4 it all comes together much better than it ever was before

Thanks Rog,

You hit that nail on the head, today was, I thought poor compared to days 1&2. The reversing exercise is a good example, pretty much nailed it each time but today, I got in and instead of putting on left lock, I turned the wheel right. Gave myself a ■■■■ good slap round the head for that.
Looking forward to a good sleep and doing much better on what we assessed as not good enough today. Main things for me are commanding the road rather than going to close on the left and more left mirror checks.

A good nights sleep and the lord knows I need far more beauty sleep than most having fallen out of the ugly tree and hitting every ugly stick on the way down ! :slight_smile:

Onwards and upwards.

Main things for me are commanding the road rather than going to close on the left and more left mirror checks.

This isn’t unusual so don’t worry unduly about it - - but it does need sorting out. I cant access your training records from home but my guess is that you may be unwilling to cross the white centre line. I call it “whitelineitus”. The white line is simply there to show you where the centre of the road is - and (normally) that’s the sum total of it. So don’t be shy about trampling on or over it. Clearly you don’t want to be all over the road for no reason - but take the road you need.

Further tip. (you wont need this cos Tim will have covered it but others may benefit). Most parked vehicles are in a 30 mph zone. And we give them 3 feet clearance to our nearside. So the maths are simple. If you can only give 2 feet, then 20 mph max. 1 foot - 10 mph. If it’s less than a foot, why on earth are you there? That’s bordering on “hard work” and we don’t do that!

Now, if it was that simple, life would be easy. Because the above relies on nothing coming towards you. So you must use your judgement to ensure that you’re not so busy giving a parked car 3 feet that oncoming vehicles are dangerously close to you. There’s too many variations and possibilities to try and explain on here.

Hope you get a good night’s kip and enjoy your session tomorrow.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Main things for me are commanding the road rather than going to close on the left and more left mirror checks.

This isn’t unusual so don’t worry unduly about it - - but it does need sorting out. I cant access your training records from home but my guess is that you may be unwilling to cross the white centre line. I call it “whitelineitus”. The white line is simply there to show you where the centre of the road is - and (normally) that’s the sum total of it. So don’t be shy about trampling on or over it. Clearly you don’t want to be all over the road for no reason - but take the road you need.

Further tip. (you wont need this cos Tim will have covered it but others may benefit). Most parked vehicles are in a 30 mph zone. And we give them 3 feet clearance to our nearside. So the maths are simple. If you can only give 2 feet, then 20 mph max. 1 foot - 10 mph. If it’s less than a foot, why on earth are you there? That’s bordering on “hard work” and we don’t do that!

Now, if it was that simple, life would be easy. Because the above relies on nothing coming towards you. So you must use your judgement to ensure that you’re not so busy giving a parked car 3 feet that oncoming vehicles are dangerously close to you. There’s too many variations and possibilities to try and explain on here.

Hope you get a good night’s kip and enjoy your session tomorrow.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That is very close to advanced driving which is why LGV/PCV drivers find the advanced driving test easy to do

Those that pass the advanced test before doing LGV find the LGV test much easier :bulb:

For ROG and Peter,

Your experience and understanding is spot on,
Day 4.

Much better, I had been “commentating” as you do for the advanced tests and yesterday had tried to keep it in my head, today was much better and I think we found the antidote to “whitelineitus” as my default mode is to move left (car driving) rather than address the issue early and move right, and not just tickle the other side of the white line but get right over, I AM coming through, (but I will stop and move over if you don’t take the hint :slight_smile:) .

Nice meal tonight, early night and easy drive over tomorrow for my test and in the immortal words of “The Terminator” I’ll be back… for my C+E ! (or retest) :smiley:

Everything that I could possibly have asked has been covered.
The main comment from Tim has been that I can drive, and drive well, I need to stop acting like I am on an examination table and just get on and do it and I will be fine.

Very many thanks

Looking forward to tomorrows update

Good luck