What to do, what to do, what to do?!

Hi All,
I am to start a full time job next week, Class C. It was miss sold to me, both hours and pay. If I’m honest I don’t really want it. I want to do agency work for the varied experience and flexibility. HOWEVER, I am aware that agency work can be patchy at best and expect it to drop off after the new year somewhat.
Any input from the more experienced among you would be great. I really can’t decide what to do for the best, It is worth noting that I would have to pay to cross the bridge am told that I will sometimes work more and sometimes work less.e every day and do around 70 miles commute every day. The wage isn’t great (around £10.50 PH) and is a flat rate regardless of OT it is 48 hour contract, . It is also heavy at the point of delivery.
ATB,
Tommy.

TommyTanker:
Hi All,
I am to start a full time job next week, Class C. It was miss sold to me, both hours and pay. If I’m honest I don’t really want it. I want to do agency work for the varied experience and flexibility. HOWEVER, I am aware that agency work can be patchy at best and expect it to drop off after the new year somewhat.
Any input from the more experienced among you would be great. I really can’t decide what to do for the best, It is worth noting that I would have to pay to cross the bridge am told that I will sometimes work more and sometimes work less.e every day and do around 70 miles commute every day. The wage isn’t great (around £10.50 PH) and is a flat rate regardless of OT it is 48 hour contract, . It is also heavy at the point of delivery.
ATB,
Tommy.

Personally I would take the job. You may earn more on agency but a couple of months in new year on only 1 or 2 days a week that gain is long gone.

Take it for 6 months and then look for something better in spring when things pick up. Either agency or employed. You can still keep looking if anything better comes up in the meantime.

Also I expect 6 months full time experience will help no end looking for that “better” job.

That’s my view but what you do is your decision

You have answered your own question really by stating you don’t want it!

Whilst the permanent position is of course very alluring as is the regular income but there is nothing worse than doing a job you don’t like - remember you work to live and not live to work.

Work out how much your daily commute will cost, fuel bridge vehicle wear and tear and travel time, all this from your take home after already paying tax on it.

The sum total will be your answer.

This is quite apart from the fact you’ve been mislead…welcome to lying toe rag transport world…the job is already soured before you start.

kcrussell25:

TommyTanker:
Hi All,
ATB,
Tommy.

Personally I would take the job. You may earn more on agency but a couple of months in new year on only 1 or 2 days a week that gain is long gone.

Take it for 6 months and then look for something better in spring when things pick up. Either agency or employed. You can still keep looking if anything better comes up in the meantime.

Also I expect 6 months full time experience will help no end looking for that “better” job.

That’s my view but what you do is your decision

Hi, I was thinking along these lines, I want to do class 1 at the end of January. I guess I will be ready for the rush in springtime, I think 6 months service will make a much better impression on my cv.
Tommy.

andy288*:

Whilst the permanent position is of course very alluring as is the regular income but there is nothing worse than doing a job you don’t like - remember you work to live and not live to work.

I do many things I do not want to do (I’m married) I think the 6 months to add to my cv would be very good for me though.
Tommy.

Juddian:
Work out how much your daily commute will cost, fuel bridge vehicle wear and tear and travel time, all this from your take home after already paying tax on it.

The sum total will be your answer.

This is quite apart from the fact you’ve been mislead…welcome to lying toe rag transport world…the job is already soured before you start.

Spot on mate, but it was the recruiter that lied not the company, They want around 20 drivers there too…
Tommy.

TommyTanker:

andy288*:

I do many things I do not want to do (I’m married) I think the 6 months to add to my cv would be very good for me though.
Tommy.

Of course you do, we all do if we are honest about it. The six month service on your cv would be excellent news for you to project to any employer worth his salt without a shadow of a doubt. All I was trying to say was it is of no use doing something you have already been mislead about and are quite likely to hate just for the cv sake - I have suffered trying to do that and the depression and illness it subsequently caused was in no way worth it - I learn’t the hard way!

I would suggest you take it. It may be better than you think. But, in any case, it’s regular money for 6 months and it’s always easier to get a job if you’ve already got one.

Even if you really dislike it, you can start looking after a couple of months and that little bit of experience wont do your application any harm.

The first job is often the most difficult to get and the worst one to do. But we’ve all been there and done that.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

andy288*:

TommyTanker:

andy288*:

Tommy.

Of course you do, we all do if we are honest about it. The six month service on your cv would be excellent news for you to project to any employer worth his salt without a shadow of a doubt. All I was trying to say was it is of no use doing something you have already been mislead about and are quite likely to hate just for the cv sake - I have suffered trying to do that and the depression and illness it subsequently caused was in no way worth it - I learn’t the hard way!

I hear ya fella, It is a case of weighing up the pros and cons I guess. It’ll pay for xmas I suppose, and pay for my class one. Who knows, I may even enjoy it :slight_smile:
Tommy.

Peter Smythe:
I would suggest you take it. It may be better than you think. But, in any case, it’s regular money for 6 months and it’s always easier to get a job if you’ve already got one.

Even if you really dislike it, you can start looking after a couple of months and that little bit of experience wont do your application any harm.

The first job is often the most difficult to get and the worst one to do. But we’ve all been there and done that.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi,
I think I am going to take it, it is better to have tried and disliked it than to not try at all I guess.
Tommy.