Royal Mail Assessment

I mentioned before in my post after my last agency just kept messing me around so I knew eventually will have to do something that keeps me feeling valued or reluctantly go back to my previous career in IT Management.

One of my friends works for RM and suggested they are taking on temps and I should get onto the books by signing with Pertemps in Derby.

Despite me signing on with Pertemps in Leicester and passing their driving assessment over a year ago when I passed my test I was never offered any work. I again had to got through the same assessment which fortunatley I passed and fluke my reversing under pressure!!

Then after clearing RM security checks (I think it must be the DBS) I had to go through another assessment/induction for half a day. Assessor was really good and kept me at ease, he took me through a lot of processes loading, unloading, double decker use, 18t tail lift use, H&S, Vehicle checks etc. For me this was an eye opener as no one has been bothered to go through these things with me in the last 18 months of agency work… I mean even the correct use of the brake retarder and how it improves fuel efficiency and brake wear. Knowing the yellow flaps on a double decker need to be outward if you are going to walk under the deck…wow!!

The assessment drive was not an easy one…country lanes, blind left turn, dumper trucks passing you on tight roads. Fortunately I kept my wits and did not make any major mistakes.

I was told with Pertemps assessment that RM will want you to reverse the vehicle in one shot without any shunts…I did however take a shunt or two on one reverse and after three reverses the assessor was happy with me and passed me.

Been with Royal Mail for now three weeks and got to say they do treat you like one of their own, this includes from the General Manager down to Permanent drivers and shop floor colleagues. The scheduling is respectful…25 mins for vehicle checks, timings for arrival, leaving, breaks, back on site, fueling and so on. If you have delays then notify transport and they will sort things out if you are going to miss the next pick up etc…The runs (or duty as they call them) will have a folder they give you with all the details so happy days.

Been to various business, mail centres and national distribution centres and can say everywhere the respect is clearly there…no grumpy souls at the gatehouse or transport and things seem to work like clockwork.

The biggest advantage is the pay they have 8 different rates Mon-Sun starting from £16.62 through to £19.64 this depends what time you start or what time you finish. These are LTD rates with PAYE I think an £1 less…

All in all this is the best pay I have achieved having worked now for at least half a dozen firms. More importantly how Royal Mail treat us agency staff making as part of the team is so reassuring.

I would hope that others followed suit…

Plus of course, in January they will treat you with the same respect as any other member of the team and say “■■■■ off - we don’t need you now.”

I’ve heard all good things about Royal Mail in regards to their Class 1 stuff.

You do need 1 years experience - or at least held your Class 1 licence a year before they will take you on though :frowning:

Nice to know they train you properly for the job

Good luck come January OP

You better be putting some of that money in your piggy bank for the barren months ahead. Are you inline for the £1000 “project completion” bonus pertemps have plastered all over their ads for this work?

Roymondo:
Plus of course, in January they will treat you with the same respect as any other member of the team and say “[zb] off - we don’t need you now.”

I am not so sure as most of the agencies bods have been there for some time…yes no doubt they will take a majority out but hopefully they keep me on considering I kind of want part time work anyway.

I worked for the worlds biggest supermarket and when the time came after 16 years its called a compromise agreement means here is the brown envelope and there is the door. Really enjoyed my time there but business is business and when push comes bye bye…

harrawaffa:
You better be putting some of that money in your piggy bank for the barren months ahead. Are you inline for the £1000 “project completion” bonus pertemps have plastered all over their ads for this work?

Not aware of this bonus at all and have no expectations, as I said did not have a great experience with Pertemps Leicester but Derby is a different kettle of fish.

As I am “approved” to work for Royal Mail I can request to work in any of their centres so for me travelling from Leicester to East Midlands/Nottingham/Coventry/Crick for a shift is not that bad.

I just need to keep my head down, be flexible and professional and get recognised by the decision makers.

Like I said I have not seen this kind of pay in any of the work I have done over the last 18 months and the work is good so wish me luck!!

Good luck to you mate, there’s one place I want to drive for before I retire and you have aleady made it in, well done.

Nice one mate. I didn’t get as far as the assessment drive, as pertemps dropped the ball (see my previous posts, if you’re interested).
Sounds like a good number. Offer if my mates got in on it. Friendly, balding guy called Keith, if you see him.
I’ve gut an assessment lined up for UPS this week (via agency). supposed to be £900-£1000 per week, but it’s five nights out for that.