R McDowell, Bradford & Starting to tramp

Hey guys

I’m looking at my first position as a Tramper with R McDowell in Bradford.
As this is going to be my first tramping position I’m after advise on what kit I need and what you’d recommend me having to make life easier/better.

Also has anyone worked for McDowell? Are they a good company to work for?

Thanks in advance

Take plenty of cleaning gear. The trucks they tried sending me out in and another new starter at the same time were disgusting. Mine was that bad that I handed the keys in and left.

Rickyr65sl:
Take plenty of cleaning gear. The trucks they tried sending me out in and another new starter at the same time were disgusting. Mine was that bad that I handed the keys in and left.

Wow, that’s bad? I’ve been promised the typical ‘the wagon is practically brand new’ pitch. Obviously I’m going to need a sleeping bag and pillow, but what kind of stuff would you recommend in the sense of a gas cooker, fridge, kettle ect. I’ve seen a couple of people with a microwave

If away all week in the cab, you will need one or two large kit or sports bags to haul from car to cab .
A big bag for dirty laundry or carrier bags.
My tip is to have two of what you need, for example , leave the toothbrush at home and leave one in the cab.

Bungy cords to keep the Suzie’s tidy on the catwalk.
Tupperware boxes to store bits and bobs.
A clip board to keep PODs tidy.

Paperclips and a stapler to keep paperwork together.
Hand sterilization fluid or gel.
Loo paper, lots of it.

Camping gas cooker from the camping shop, washing up bowl , cans of food from Lidl or Aldi.
Old bed sheet to walk on inside the cab, handy if been to a quarry or farm.
Good quality Thermos to save rip off Costa Lotta or Stir Buckets price hike.
Cafes will fill the Thermos for free some charge about 50 p for hot water.

toby1234abc:
If away all week in the cab, you will need one or two large kit or sports bags to haul from car to cab .
A big bag for dirty laundry or carrier bags.
My tip is to have two of what you need, for example , leave the toothbrush at home and leave one in the cab.

Bungy cords to keep the Suzie’s tidy on the catwalk.
Tupperware boxes to store bits and bobs.
A clip board to keep PODs tidy.

Paperclips and a stapler to keep paperwork together.
Hand sterilization fluid or gel.
Loo paper, lots of it.

Camping gas cooker from the camping shop, washing up bowl , cans of food from Lidl or Aldi.
Old bed sheet to walk on inside the cab, handy if been to a quarry or farm.
Good quality Thermos to save rip off Costa Lotta or Stir Buckets price hike.
Cafes will fill the Thermos for free some charge about 50 p for hot water.

Thank you for the advice, what about power wise? Inverter or just cig chargers? If inverter, what power 600w or 1500w?

■■■ chargers to power mobile phones.
If the microwave is fitted as standard then no need for inverters.
If no microwave fitted, I’m not sure how much power needed.
Flip flops for unclean showers to prevent athletes foot .
Spare keys or any keys, can be car keys , to give to goods in staff.
As they want your lorry keys when on bay to unload.
You then wait for four hours in a waiting room.
With the spare keys handed in, sneak off to the cab and sleep with one eye on the red and green light on the docking bay.
Once green light, back to goods in to get Pod and go.

This is pretty much what I take:

Bed sheet
Single duvet (I prefer duvet to sleeping bag)
Pillow
Decent size hold-all (for clean clothes, toiletries, towel, comfy footwear)
Tesco bag for life or similar (for dirty clothes)
Phone charger
Camping stove & gas
Food - (tinned, pot noodles)
Brewing tackle
Cup
Couple of pans, plate, bowl and cutlery

I use Netflix, iplayer, itv player etc on my phone or tablet for entertainment but easy enough to hook up an inverter and tele.

Mcdowlls promised me a new truck (I’ve had my licence 2 years) just pointing that out as newer drivers seem to get stung with the crap trucks and the one they tried sticking me in was a 08plate Mercedes… it was covered in dust inside, mold on the window rubbers, stunk of stale smoke, the floor was covered in dry mud, sticky spilt coffee stains all over the place and to top it off a pair of boxers stuffed down the side of the seat that looked like Colin McRae had done his last rally in them.

That was the final straw for me.

toby1234abc:
■■■ chargers to power mobile phones.
If the microwave is fitted as standard then no need for inverters.
If no microwave fitted, I’m not sure how much power needed.
Flip flops for unclean showers to prevent athletes foot .
Spare keys or any keys, can be car keys , to give to goods in staff.
As they want your lorry keys when on bay to unload.
You then wait for four hours in a waiting room.
With the spare keys handed in, sneak off to the cab and sleep with one eye on the red and green light on the docking bay.
Once green light, back to goods in to get Pod and go.

Brilliant, thank you :slight_smile:
Would never of thought of doing that with goods in

Rickyr65sl:
This is pretty much what I take:

Bed sheet
Single duvet (I prefer duvet to sleeping bag)
Pillow
Decent size hold-all (for clean clothes, toiletries, towel, comfy footwear)
Tesco bag for life or similar (for dirty clothes)
Phone charger
Camping stove & gas
Food - (tinned, pot noodles)
Brewing tackle
Cup
Couple of pans, plate, bowl and cutlery

I use Netflix, iplayer, itv player etc on my phone or tablet for entertainment but easy enough to hook up an inverter and tele.

Mcdowlls promised me a new truck (I’ve had my licence 2 years) just pointing that out as newer drivers seem to get stung with the crap trucks and the one they tried sticking me in was a 08plate Mercedes… it was covered in dust inside, mold on the window rubbers, stunk of stale smoke, the floor was covered in dry mud, sticky spilt coffee stains all over the place and to top it off a pair of boxers stuffed down the side of the seat that looked like Colin McRae had done his last rally in them.

Sweet, cheers

Yeah I’ve got unlimited data on my phone so I’ll probably just be doing the same. Do you stay in lay-bys or truck stops?

Oh god, yeah I’d probably be walking too if that was the case!

I mainly stay in lay bys but all depends on where I am in the country. I’d stay in services all the time if company’s payed for it upfront but near all of them want you to pay it then submit the receipts to claim the money back and I can’t be bothered to do it.

Rickyr65sl:
I mainly stay in lay bys but all depends on where I am in the country. I’d stay in services all the time if company’s payed for it upfront but near all of them want you to pay it then submit the receipts to claim the money back and I can’t be bothered to do it.

Ah fair enough, I’ve got another interview for a company called Gee’s on Wednesday, these are meant to be better than McDowell so we’ll see!

GazBalders:

Rickyr65sl:

Ah fair enough, I’ve got another interview for a company called Gee’s on Wednesday, these are meant to be better than McDowell so we’ll see!

Gee Transport in Altrincham?

Rickyr65sl:

GazBalders:

Rickyr65sl:

That’ll be Gee’s of Wakefield. They’ve some right scruffy drivers, n motors.

Rickyr65sl:
…and to top it off a pair of boxers stuffed down the side of the seat that looked like Colin McRae had done his last rally in them.

You just made my day! :slight_smile:

biggriffin:

Rickyr65sl:

GazBalders:

Rickyr65sl:

That’ll be Gee’s of Wakefield. They’ve some right scruffy drivers, n motors.

Most haulage companies do don’t they? Haha
We’ve got a guy with us at the minute & I generally think he’s homeless