Seeking advice, considering career swap! (Long Post)

Surprising how active y’all are on here, good to know though.

eagerbeaver, cheers for another personal insight to the role - this is exactly what I’m looking for a nice, blunt combination of advice and personal experience.

Take today for example, I had to drive some 30 miles, 1 hour-ish in the morning to my first job - even in traffic it was still enjoyable. Appreciated that’s most likely next to insignificant to the distance you lot drive.

In terms of the list you provided:

Horrendous traffic congestion, spy camera’s in your cab, moronic drivers to contend with, long hours, etc are now the preserve of today’s lorry drivers. The money is not great in wagon driving, your health can suffer whether it be through lack of exercise, stress, poor diet/eating habit’s, sensitive eyes, being knackered after concentrating for EVERY minute for hours and hours etc.

Some of these I had not considered. I too share a deal of these - traffic, ‘spy camera’ (in the form of a tracker), moronic drivers. I can share a degree of empathy there.

Considering that the gas / electric industry at the moment seems to be going through yet another transition period of yet again changing regulations, tolerances, processes, PPE requirements and general code of conduct / practices… a question comes to mind. Is the trucking game similar? Changing of regulations at uncomfortably frequent intervals, wherein, you’re expected to know them ALL at all times?.. unless you want to be out of a job, heh. That’s what the lads and lasses face in this industry.

Regarding Jimmy McNulty, I can’t comment on the nature of that job you were offered having no real experience in your industry ‘n’ all but doesn’t sound like anything you couldn’t handle.

albion, I believe you’re onto something there…

…if you think you could deal with management after being on the tools, trust me, by the time you get into your 50s, tolerance for corporate BS is pretty much zero.

I am really, double-state, REALLY not a people-person… spade’s a spade at the end of the day. Not really management material - I have 0 patience for ■■■■■■■■ and excuses.

Keep em’ coming ladies and gents!

Rik

*edited 13/11/2017, 21:08 due to grammar and punctuation errors.