Any tips or need to know on manual gearboxes?

Got a driving assessment next week, almost certainly on a manual. Having learnt on an auto it’ll be something new!

I drive a manual car and assume it won’t be vastly different more a case of getting used to what gear I need to be in. But any tips appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Almost the same. 1St and 2nd are usually crawler gears for uphill so you can usually start in 3Rd. If it’s a splitter which it probably will be go through the gears as normal once you hit 5th/6th clutch in hit the splitter button and start going through the gears again 1St is usually 7th etc…
The trick is just as in a car don’t worry about what gear your in just listen to your engine.
Also I may be wrong but I think brakes 18ton lorries are straight 6 gearbox.

adam277:
Almost the same. 1St and 2nd are usually crawler gears for uphill so you can usually start in 3Rd. If it’s a splitter which it probably will be go through the gears as normal once you hit 5th/6th clutch in hit the splitter button and start going through the gears again 1St is usually 7th etc…
The trick is just as in a car don’t worry about what gear your in just listen to your engine.
Also I may be wrong but I think brakes 18ton lorries are straight 6 gearbox.

Ta. Was mildly surprised to learn they’re mostly still using manuals. No bother, I can be a smug driving god once I’ve got it sussed.

I done my Cat C test in a Mercedes 8 speed manual with the slap over type gear box between high and low range. I was told just to take time and take it easy when changing gear and especially between 4th & 5th and visa versa and I had no problems whatsoever.

ASK - how does this gearbox work ?

ROG:
ASK - how does this gearbox work ?

Well yeah obviously. Doesn’t hurt to gather knowledge here prior to the thing though does it?

And for my money never pull away in anything over 2nd on the level. Empty or loaded. Downhill higher is ok.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Any idea what the vehicle is? Make, weight? Could then have an educated guess rather than you get a head full of irrelevant information which could be confusing.

How many axles?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

" Find it, don’t grind it ".

eagerbeaver:

I thought we were talking about gearboxes?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Peter Smythe:
Any idea what the vehicle is? Make, weight? Could then have an educated guess rather than you get a head full of irrelevant information which could be confusing.

How many axles?

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

18 or 26t but think it’ll be the 18 from what i was told today. personally noticed a mix of makes mostly dafs or mercs. Not sure what I’ll be thrown in. Maybe someone who’s worked there could give me a better idea.

If it’s quiet at work tomorrow I’m going to sneak off for a word with our regular driver n get some personal inside info I think. Big if though, Christmas rush is in full swing. It’s busy busy busy.

Rog has a good guide to manuals in his signature (helped me [emoji106])

eagerbeaver:

Just general life advice that haha.

Lloydie:
Rog has a good guide to manuals in his signature (helped me [emoji106])

I’ll have a look.

watch these and see how easy it is.

youtube.com/watch?v=8lEYaTvvq4g
youtube.com/watch?v=UrgH8ue3k9M :astonished:

I’m 99% sure brakes use straight 6’s.

18t daf will be 6 speed so just an extra gear

blue estate:
18t daf will be 6 speed so just an extra gear

My car is a 6 speed. Extra gear for great economic motorway driving.

Use the extra pedal.

95% chance it’ll be a straight 6 speed. Although they will pull away in 2nd quite comfortably, ask your assessor for advice. Some manufacturers recommend pulling away in 1st only and the assessor may be looking for this.

Don’t change gear more than you have to. Block change, especially coming down in the gears. Don’t rush the gear change. My normal expression is “make love to it - don’t ■■■■ it”. A tad crude but it makes the point.

Allow for any extra length of the vehicle. Give yourself plenty of room particularly on left turns.

And enjoy!

Pete :laughing: :laughing: