Still no luck

Hi all i passsed my class 2 around 2 weeks ago and have been constantly looking for work. I sent out letters to 16 tipper/aggregate firms within a 30 mile radius of where I live only to receive 2 back saying sorry no vacancies the rest of them… diddly squat. The other day i applied to a muck away firm advertisement that said " no experience necessary ". I phoned them and told the bloke on the phone I had only just got my class 2 license he said come down anyway as we have taken on new drivers and because of your age (not being under 30) the insurers might be ok with you. When i went down today to fill out application form the women on reception says can I photocopy your license whilst you fill out the form? I told her I haven’t received my new license as I only passed two weeks ago, she said oh our insurers won’t insure a driver without a minimum of 3 years experience… but fill it anyway and I’ll see what I can do. I’m remaining optimistic so I’ll plod on regardless.

Stick your head round the door, far better than a letter. Unless, and I don’t mean this rudely, you have actively chosen not to go into the copywriting profession, then a letter is barely going to get a glance.

Standard advice is to get out handy and knock on a few doors just in case someone hasn’t turned up and someone fancies taking you on - doesn’t work with big firms.

If nothing happens first thing, have a coffee, let the dust settle down in the office and call in at a few others.

Good luck.

albion:
Stick your head round the door, far better than a letter. Unless, and I don’t mean this rudely, you have actively chosen not to go into the copywriting profession, then a letter is barely going to get a glance.

Standard advice is to get out handy and knock on a few doors just in case someone hasn’t turned up and someone fancies taking you on - doesn’t work with big firms.

If nothing happens first thing, have a coffee, let the dust settle down in the office and call in at a few others.

Good luck.

^^^^ Exactly this and I would say it goes a bit quiet at this time of the year for tipper companies, meaning normally they’re not as busy as in spring and summer.

I would may be go to a few of those companies in person, where to you send your letters. Go there, tell them you send them an application amd you’re there to follow it up. Also get all your necessary documents (license, digicard, cpc ) to prove you got everything to start for them.

Some TM’s will maybe, be impressed by you and offer you a job on the spot or at least give you vital info when to re-apply etc.

May be you should also talk to a few local agencies and see if they have any work for you. Some agencies supply tipper drivers. Just make sure you tell them what kind of work you willing to do and what not (e.g. Multi-Drop, Van driving etc)
I don’t know how picki you are and what other driving jobs you may want to consider if the Tipper buisness is not as busy at the moment.

Good luck :slight_smile: and well done on passing your class 2.

Thanks for advice lads. I’ve tried door Knockin before in a different industry and got me nowhere " you need to apply online " ! Putting managers on the spot didn’t seem to go down well.
As others have said before though I think it will be now the next best step as it’s a different industry and seems to be the done thing. I wanted to stay away from agencies as I’ve worked for em in the past an most of em were ■■■■. They may be different now I don’t know. I got made redundant a while back now so I’m looking at everything not just driving but thats what I want to do now. I’ll just keep lookin. Thanks again for the advice

Best way to get up and running with a new Class 2 licence is the food service providers.

Cracking way of getting your skills honed, tight reverses, numerous cars & bollards to avoid, plenty tight lanes and busy town centre traffic to navigate. Decent money too on most of them (P&H, Brakes, Bidvest etc).

If it’s tippers you want, you will have to keep rooting around for a start, but if any new drivers on here just simply want to get driving and earning asap, food service (often via agency to begin with) is the way.

For any on here who want to progress to Class 1, it looks good on your CV if you have 12 months Class 2 experience already. Employers like to see that you are familiar with wagons currently.

I think Tippers depends where you live also as getting on them up North with no experience seems to be difficult.

As others have said knocking on doors and trying to get into the food delivery service is the way it’s done.

I past class 2 in July this year and thought it best to sit around for 3 weeks until my licences all came through. All my cards turned up by 3 weeks later on the thursday so i waited until the monday morning and went out with my CVs and smart dress clothes on.

Headed out at 8am speaking to transport managers, by 3pm i struck it lucky and got myself a start direct with a company.

Your best bet is places like P&H, Brakes, Bidvest, LWC Drinks, bargin booze normally through Matthew Clarke.

Get 1 year under your belt and move onto what you want to do however as far as am aware it’s EXTREMELY HARD to get onto tippers without experience.

Certain ‘vloggers’ will convince you they know it all and the only way to get a driving job is to sign on with an agency, which is annoying as a: they seem to think they are the font and b: people may actually believe them. Others will say take food service, which is an almost certain way to get driving experience and usually on a good rate.

There is no right or wrong way, different parts of the country and individual circumstances & requirements dictate.

Do it all - job boards (even some agencies advertise decent temp to perm gigs), door knocking and agencies.

Thanks all for the advice. I’ve got an interview on Monday with an agency who say some of their clients take on new drivers so we’ll see what happens there. I’ve got a list of all the firms I wrote to so I’m gonna go Knockin on their doors just to show em I’m keen. They can only say no! Wish me luck

What part of the uk are you from?

I’m from Derby mate

Bliss bedding Ashbourne want class 2
East Midlands haulage want ripper drivers same as aggrecom as well. Both around 9.5 to 10.5 an hour.
Martyn Barratt was looking not sure if still are
Lockwoods were advertising as well

Thanks for that wigo I will take a look! Im sure east midlands haulage don’t take on new drivers could be wrong though

Jc balls as well. Mate of mine said they’re taking on when spoke to him earlier. Which end of derby you based pal

If you haven’t got your licence back yet wait. 99% of companies are required to take a copy of your licence by their insurance and company policy, finding the 1% that accept pass certificates is not going to be easy.

I got my license and cpc card last Friday had an interview with an agency this morning and they said they could get me on as some of their clients take in new drivers. I had to take a mini version of the theory test which I passed so I’ll wait an see what they come up with. Regarding jc balls wigo I spoke to their tm the day after i passed and had a brief chat but obviously having no experience he said sorry I haven’t got anything for you at the moment but keep in touch. They where adverrising at that tim though. Aggrecom was another firm I contacted but didn’t hear anything back. I’m in south derby btw on the A6 not far from the A50

Don’t wait to hear back pal. Just go in and look keen smart but ready to work at same time. Anyone can say no to an email or random voice on the phone. It’s a ■■■■ sight better in person tbh.

Pennywise:
I’m from Derby mate

What agency you gone with mate when I first passed I went with smart recruitment watch them on you’re hourly rate if that’s who you have gone with they will get you work but will try and pull the wool if you let them the jobs they give the new drivers are ■■■■■ but they do get better I’m glad I’m out the agency stuff after Christmas and going full time

Local councils for the bins and recycling are always on the look out.
In Bristol the recycling teams tend to swap about, a bit driving then loading giving everyone a break from loading lifting etc,
Worth a try if nothing it’ll get you some driving experience.

I

Wigo91:
Bliss bedding Ashbourne want class 2
East Midlands haulage want ripper drivers same as aggrecom as well. Both around 9.5 to 10.5 an hour.
Martyn Barratt was looking not sure if still are
Lockwoods were advertising as well

Martyn Barrat wages are dire. Crap job too.
East Midlands haulage is now owned by the same time as leedale. Also bear avoided.
Aggrecom are sound. I was there for a fortnight on sweepers. Only reason I left is that I found out I hate sweeping or id still be there. Owner is sound and doesn’t take the ■■■■. Tippers is 10 hour days 5 days a week. 6am to 4pm think it was around 10.50 an hour.