Got an interview with Brakes any advice?

Title says it all really. My first driving job interview so just after tips and advice. Believe I’ve got a test on regs etc an interview with the TM and an assessment drive, not sure if that’s same day or if I have to pass the other two bits first.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Class 2? Rather you than me mate, heard enough horror stories.
Good luck though, you’ll get fit.

sent using smoke signals

mick.mh2racing:
Class 2? Rather you than me mate, heard enough horror stories.
Good luck though, you’ll get fit.

sent using smoke signals

Haha yeah expecting hard graft. But gotta start somewhere. I’m up for it.

Which brakes?

htfc1984:
Which brakes?

Tamworth.

Lots of handball and backbreaking work daily and usually no place to park.
Pay isn’t all that either.

adam277:
Lots of handball and backbreaking work daily and usually no place to park.
Pay isn’t all that either.

Significantly better money than I’m on now in catering. Hard graft ain’t no bother either. At the end of the day I’m a new pass and I want a permanent job. Not agency. So if I’m offered the job I’ll take it gladly and do it with a smile.

Don’t know anything about Brakes unfortunately, but very recently done similar for a VERY well known company. (details to follow if successful)

Have a general swat up on the WTD and Tacho laws, I was questioned in depth.
I had a driving assessment of around 90 minutes, it felt like all day :open_mouth:

Just take it steady, plenty of mirrors, think well ahead and try and be as smooth as you can.
Hopefully you will nail it.

Don’t be disheartened if for any reason it doesn’t work out, there are plenty of people around who will take new drivers if you try (directly not through the agencies)

I wish you the VERY best of luck landing your first job mate.

Markyboy1008:
Don’t know anything about Brakes unfortunately, but very recently done similar for a VERY well known company. (details to follow if successful)

Have a general swat up on the WTD and Tacho laws, I was questioned in depth.
I had a driving assessment of around 90 minutes, it felt like all day :open_mouth:

Just take it steady, plenty of mirrors, think well ahead and try and be as smooth as you can.
Hopefully you will nail it.

Don’t be disheartened if for any reason it doesn’t work out, there are plenty of people around who will take new drivers if you try (directly not through the agencies)

I wish you the VERY best of luck landing your first job mate.

Thanks. I’ll definitely be disappointed if I don’t get it. But equally I’m not taking anything for granted. Being my first interview in this industry I’ll be glad of the experience it’ll make me better and be beneficial either way.

Don’t worry too much about the hard work, food delivery is considerably easier than pallets, that’s something you never want to do.

Just show the interviewer you are keen.

Good luck with the interview.

I done two days in Tamworth mate when I just passed then luckily found something much better

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bino10:
I done two days in Tamworth mate when I just passed then luckily found something much better

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Good for you. It’s funny I’ve probably read as much bad as bad about them. They deliver to my current job and we’ve had the same regular driver for donkeys years. I’m suspecting it’s a bit of a marmite type job. We shall see.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t smile, take half a fresh lime to chew on, it’ll make your face fit in with all the experienced hands.

Good luck!

Thanks Pete. Slowlane will a lemon suffice?

You get a written test on drivers hours and basic road signs and a little bit of geography of major UK roads etc.
Then you have a drive of around 45 minutes or so, the drive isn’t too hard they just want to see your not a crash waiting to happen.
They will want you to a pre walk around check, without a checklist (thats what happend to me anyway) so memorize the key points of a vehicle test or being one with you to use.
In interview they will do most the talking, just seem very keen on the company,(Google brakes and read up on them) you should know things like what they deliver and who they deliver too without them telling you.

In general it is multi drop with a tail lift.
Some pallets may have to split down by you at the delivery point.
Food to hotels, shops,garages and as said parking can be a problem.
It may involve a delivery to go down the stairs in to cellar or basement.
Or using a lift to go up .
On the assement, most new trucks have electronic engine oil check.
No dipstick,check the windscreen wash bottle and the horn.
Go to the DVLA website to check if the truck road fund license is valid by entering the registration .

thehig:
You get a written test on drivers hours and basic road signs and a little bit of geography of major UK roads etc.
Then you have a drive of around 45 minutes or so, the drive isn’t too hard they just want to see your not a crash waiting to happen.
They will want you to a pre walk around check, without a checklist (thats what happend to me anyway) so memorize the key points of a vehicle test or being one with you to use.
In interview they will do most the talking, just seem very keen on the company,(Google brakes and read up on them) you should know things like what they deliver and who they deliver too without them telling you.

Thanks. Doesn’t sound too bad. Written test ain’t to tricky then, no maths test?

Think I know my vehicle checks though it’ll feel strange putting it into practice for the first proper time. Plan to drive like it’s my test again.

IronEddie:

adam277:
So if I’m offered the job I’ll take it gladly and do it with a smile.

I’ll be surprised if you do; most people don’t mind hard graft the problem with planners is they have a annoying knack of putting pressure onto you. If they see you can do 10 drops a day no problem then they will try their luck at giving you 15. They want to get as much out of you as they can and ideally they want to run you ragged.
The worst bit about the job is the lack of free time and the constant rushing. I’d rather have 5 hours hard graft if I knew I could relax a bit for the next 5 but with this type of job your constantly at it and it can stress you out big time.

Seriously the amount of times I thought I done a great all job! 44 deliveries all done!! and I come in the next day to find I have over 50.

Well I think that went well. Back in next week to shadow a driver for a shift and have my assessment drive.