Diabetes and me!

Hi All,
I have class two diabetes, I have been prescribed Glipizide (disliked by the DVSA) and Metfomin. I have recently had the problem one (Glipizide) removed from my prescription so I am only taking Metformin (2x 500mg in the morning) now. My blood glucose is now at a point where if I didn’t drink alcohol (won’t be when I get a job) and paid better attention to my diet I won’t be needing any drugs to control my blood glucose.
Has anyone had any issues trying to find work with type two diabetes? Any negative issues with the aforementioned condition? I would be very interested to hear your experiences.
ATB,
Tommy.

Plenty of folks are driving with all sorts of conditions. My own view, for what it’s worth, is that it’s not a problem provided the medication is working and doesn’t affect the person’s ability to do the job.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Plenty of folks are driving with all sorts of conditions. My own view, for what it’s worth, is that it’s not a problem provided the medication is working and doesn’t affect the person’s ability to do the job.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi, It doesn’t affect me. When I went for my medical I asked the doctor to strip my prescription down as much as possible. I had morphine and an antidepressant that helped with the musculoskeletal pain. I had those two and a few other drugs removed to get my licence. Turns out I didn’t need them as much as I thought.
ATB,
Tommy.

Its along time since I had to attend a formal job interview, so I aint too sure about the way it works.
Can I ask a few questions?
Can an employer ask what medication youre on? Will you being on diabetes drugs affect your chances of getting a job? Youre saying giving up drink and controlling your diet means you will no longer need diabetic drugs?
Chicken or egg?
Do I need to ask any more questions?

If youve got problems with diet, then the hours on some jobs will not help you. Doesnt diabetes control involve the food you eat plus when you eat it? It is possible to keep a healthy diet, but its easier to keep to a good diet after its an established pattern. May not be easy, but try to get yourself as fit as you can before you get into a job. Theres enough of us on here with weight/diet problems we blame onto the job. Dont come into this industry and expect to improve your diet. Sure, there are some honourable exceptions out there, but not too many.
Good luck, mate.

I have a similar record. I have polymyalgia and, if I took all the pills the doctor suggests, I would be incapable of standing! So my prescription is reduced to a minimum. It’s a balance between being able to work, keeping DVLA at bay and managing the ongoing issues without excessive medication. I have some really bad days from time to time but I never fail to turn up and do a good job. It’s to do with knowing how to manage your own body (clearly there’s limits) and adopting a professional attitude. It has to be said that I haven’t worked full time though for a number of years and this is part of the “dealing with it”. We wont mention advancing years!!

So you have my full understanding and wish you all the best for the future.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Franglais:
Its along time since I had to attend a formal job interview, so I aint too sure about the way it works.
Can an employer ask what medication youre on? Will you being on diabetes drugs affect your chances of getting a job? Youre saying giving up drink and controlling your diet means you will no longer need diabetic drugs?
Chicken or egg?

If youve got problems with diet, then the hours on some jobs will not help you. Doesnt diabetes control involve the food you eat plus when you eat it? It is possible to keep a healthy diet, but its easier to keep to a good diet after its an established pattern. May not be easy, but try to get yourself as fit as you can before you get into a job. Theres enough of us on here with weight/diet problems we blame onto the job. Dont come into this industry and expect to improve your diet. Sure, there are some honourable exceptions out there, but not too many.
Good luck, mate.

I am just lazy atm, looking after kids and eating their food whilst eating my meal etc, it is no big thing for me to change tbh. cheers.
ATB
Tommy.

Peter Smythe:
I have a similar record. I have polymyalgia and, if I took all the pills the doctor suggests, I would be incapable of standing! So my prescription is reduced to a minimum. It’s a balance between being able to work, keeping DVLA at bay and managing the ongoing issues without excessive medication. I have some really bad days from time to time but I never fail to turn up and do a good job. It’s to do with knowing how to manage your own body (clearly there’s limits) and adopting a professional attitude. It has to be said that I haven’t worked full time though for a number of years and this is part of the “dealing with it”. We wont mention advancing years!!

So you have my full understanding and wish you all the best for the future.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Pete, I think I will be off all drugs come my next (3 months) blood test and only eating well to control it. I have a few stipulations from the DVSA at the moment, I have to take blood readings every 2 hours, wear a wristband stating I am type 2, have fast acting carbs available etc. It is something I could do without tbh, I feel like it puts me at a disadvantage when compared to folks with no health issues, but time will tell I suppose.
ATB,
Tommy.

Franglais:
Chicken or egg?

Good luck, mate.

Whilst I am not sure an employer can ask about medication (given you have passed the medical, your fit so to speak) however they can ask about any adjustments required. This would include meals at certain times etc. Whilst these days I am sure most will be fine there are bound to be some who are awkward

kcrussell25:

Franglais:
Chicken or egg?

Good luck, mate.

Whilst I am not sure an employer can ask about medication (given you have passed the medical, your fit so to speak) however they can ask about any adjustments required. This would include meals at certain times etc. Whilst these days I am sure most will be fine there are bound to be some who are awkward

On most application forms there is a health questionnaire isn’t there, and whilst it is technically illegal not to offer a position based on the answers, there is no obligation to employ a person. They can give any reason or no reason why they wouldn’t employ me. Hopefully, I will be ok.
ATB,
Tommy.

Yours is minor. It’s not reportable so don’t tell them. Your quack hasn’t told the DVLA so don’t worry about it. I know a PSV driver who is injecting insulin daily and still getting blood sugar reading of 9 or 10 (old system). His employer says the DVLA know about him and it is acceptable, so he just carries on driving his bus. KEEP ON TRUCKIN.

If the question is ; Do you know of any medical reason why your application should not be accepted ? The answer is NO. Diabetes is not a medical reason for refusing employment untill it get serious. Then your quack will tell the DVLA and the answer become YES.

Oh. By The Way. Your medical records are strictly private between you and your doctor. 3rd parties can only have access to them if you give your permission. Of course companies will says you can’t work for them until you prove that you are medically fit. Once again they have you by the short and curlies. A good answer might be to say “I am medically fit. You can’t see my medical records but your company doctor can examine me if you wish”.