Fifth wheel height

Is there a standard for the height of a fifth wheel? All our trailers have a height marking something like 14ft9in based on fifth wheel height of 1250mm or something like that.

Being new at this C+E lark and not wanting to put myself at risk I asked someone about it and he just said “yeah that’s about right” so is there any way of actually knowing the fifth wheel height?

toonsy:
so is there any way of actually knowing the fifth wheel height?

Yes…

As above. To do it cleanly don’t measure the fifth wheel height and cover yourself in grease. Pick up your trailer then measure the distance from the bottom of trailer (level with rubbing plate) to the ground. If different than 1250 voila.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Sorted. Cheers

And note: on some vehicles with centre lift the rear axle will raise a bit when axle raised, so take a minute to check on that too.

Excellent advice from Franglais.

To add to it, write it down somewhere if like me you have the memory of a goldfish!

All our trailers give the height based on a 1280mm running height, all our units run at 1220mm - so there is a bit of wiggle room built in.

Yeah I’ve noticed especially with a Scania thst the back end of the unit seems to sit higher when the drag axle is lifted.