Companies Insurance Risks

Hi,

Ive seen many job advertisements stating they are looking for class 1 or 2 drivers with under 6 points and no DD DR or major endorsements.

I have a non motoring conviction unspent for another 2 years until it clears. Will I be seen by hiring companies insurance providers as high risk?

My car insurance has a non motoring conviction and they said it doesn’t matter it’s ONLY motoring convictions they ask for not non motoring convictions?

Anyone been in a similar situation?

Thanks.

If they are not doing a dbs check why would you tell them? Technically you are meant too - but there is next to no chance of them finding out. So just keep quite about it.

Apply and see what happens. If they ask about convictions I would declare it if not keep stum.

If they ask and you don’t declare bear in mind you have lied on your application and leave yourself open to summary dismissal with no chance of appeal

You are legally allowed to keep it quiet after 5 years from your conviction date. Its as though it didnt exist in the first place a solicitor told me.

I kept it quiet with a company and they found out its not that you have a conviction or several its the ACT of declaring it the either accepts or rejects your application as incomplete not the crime.

Braveheart2009:
You are legally allowed to keep it quiet after 5 years from your conviction date. Its as though it didnt exist in the first place a solicitor told me.

I kept it quiet with a company and they found out its not that you have a conviction or several its the ACT of declaring it the either accepts or rejects your application as incomplete not the crime.

I know but you said yours is not “spent” yet. The point is if you don’t declare it and they find out they can say they wouldn’t have employed you if they had known and its a fundamental change to your initial application which they will void. It is also a breach of trust which would also be grounds for dismissal

I don’t really care what you did - but what sentence did you get? I used to deal with this sort of stuff a lot at my old job. And the 5 years doesn’t apply anymore… And hasn’t for a while (over a year).

For a fine it’s spent after a year.

Prison less than 6 months is sentence plus 2 years.

Prison between 6-30 months is sentence plus 4 years.

kcrussell25:

Braveheart2009:

I know but you said yours is not “spent” yet. The point is if you don’t declare it and they find out they can say they wouldn’t have employed you if they had known and its a fundamental change to your initial application which they will void. It is also a breach of trust which would also be grounds for dismissal

If they wouldn’t have employed him then he wouldn’t have gotten the job. If they ever did find out. Which is very unlikely unless he is applying for some regulated role. So hypothetically they do find out in a couple of years and sack him. His conviction is then spent - he has been earning all that time, and he can get another job. Or he can be truthful and get knocked back for doing something silly at some point. We are talking about driving a truck - not teaching in a primary school.

I’m also not convinced that he has been given the correct advice as to when his conviction will be spent. A fine used to be 5 years - but was changed a while ago to 1 year. So he could already be home free.

sammym:

kcrussell25:

Braveheart2009:

If they wouldn’t have employed him then he wouldn’t have gotten the job. If they ever did find out. Which is very unlikely unless he is applying for some regulated role. So hypothetically they do find out in a couple of years and sack him. His conviction is then spent - he has been earning all that time, and he can get another job. Or he can be truthful and get knocked back for doing something silly at some point. We are talking about driving a truck - not teaching in a primary school.

I’m also not convinced that he has been given the correct advice as to when his conviction will be spent. A fine used to be 5 years - but was changed a while ago to 1 year. So he could already be home free.

I suggest he looks into it then. I personally would not want to be sacked for breach of trust as even if the conviction is spent you don’t want to replace with a bad reference

I got a community order. I was under the impression my conviction was expired. I live in Scotland so the rules are different to England and Wales. Some solicitor told me once your order expires your conviction expires! Others say it’s unspent for 5 years.