Training Diary – Passed with PSTT Start to Finish 6 months

Today I passed my C+E lorry license with Peter Smythe Transport Training (PSTT) and just want to share my journey with everyone but mainly anybody looking into getting trained.

So back in April 2017 I decided I wanted a change of career (work as a postman for Royal Mail atm), I had done my research and bit the bullet. So I booked a medical with my own GP and they charged me £100. Yes, they can be done cheaper - to anyone who’s not in a rush I would advise to look for Doctors On Wheels (I think) on this forum as they seem to be cheaper or contact the driving school you’d like to train with as they’ll be able to advise you what maybe the cheapest option for you. I chose my GP as they had appointments available straight away.

Next, I sent off my license to obtain the provisional lorry entitlement and obtained the provisional bus license just incase I fancy going to learn how to drive one – doesn’t cost any different so you might aswell. Btw this cost me £17 (usually free) – as my photo was due a renewal.

Fast forward a few weeks – license was returned with a new photo. At this point things dragged a little bit as I weren’t too committed in going through the theory bits (MOD1 a/b Multiple choice/Hazard perception). I eventually took the theory tests at my local test centre paying £37 - £26 for the multiple choice and £11 for the hazard perception. I learnt with the aid of the book (DVSA standard book) and an app on my iPad for the hazard perception.

Next for the MOD 2 (Case studies), now these questions aren’t published so revising/learning for this wasn’t as straight forward. As I didn’t know what to expect – I booked the exam with the thought process that I can see what the exam is like and if I fail I will know what sort of stuff I need to learn. Fortunately for me I passed first time and can only say that if you learn the theory (knowledge for the multiple choice) thoroughly you’ll walk through the park on the MOD 2 as it scenario based on the knowledge you should have. This costs £23 too I think. By now it was the end of June and I had the MOD 3 and MOD 4 to go.

I had decided to go with PSTT as it seemed a professional company that answered questions thoroughly when I rang in to enquire. I went with my gut feeling that you don’t flaunt your reputation on the net unless you can perform well and having read reviews about the company I dived straight in.

I booked at the time Peter Smythe had an offer of £250 off any further training – for me in my head I just thought surely that’ll cover my MOD 4 training and test fees.

Training started 31st of July with the test 4 days later – as I was 70 miles away I was given the free accommodation which I thought is a pleasant place to stay. (Just for anyone who plans to stay there – it’s a standard B&B lovely double bedroom with en-suite, pizza place round the corner, city centre 5 minutes away) – passed the MOD 4 exam in the morning – MOD 3 (driving test) later on – unfortunately I failed the first time – braked dangerously as a traffic light changed red – got panicky tbh. Rebooked as soon as I got back to the test centre - restest 4 weeks later towards the end of August – passed on my second attempt.

I didn’t look for any Class 2 work as I was more interested in Class 1 driving – I chose PSTT again and was offered dates mid OCTOBER – giving enough time for my license to turn up – it does take just short of 3 weeks to come – so you can’t really take Class 2 and Class 1 one week after another (note for those who want to train and are sold this idea). Now this time round when I took the test I was not under any pressure in terms of the drive – but I couldn’t get my head around the reversing manoeuvre – test day came and I was still unsure regarding the reverse.

Unfortunately I failed the test in the first 10 minutes as I took 3 shunts to get the trailer into the bay – it weren’t in straight either – but I asked the examiner if I could take the test as normal to get a little for experience and feedback for the future. I carried on as normal and it went almost perfect – 2 minors – but still a fail. Rebooked the test immediately with some time to get some reversing in – scheduled for the end of OCTOBER.

Fast forward to today – travelled down to PSTT this morning - 1 hour on the reversing area – learnt from my mistakes last time and passed.
The team at PSTT are great and are gunning for you to pass – the receptionist is very welcoming and invited me to come down on the open days even if it is for a natter. The booking team is great and try to accommodate your dates rather than the other way round. Both my instructors were fantastic and told me not to be a stranger and if I get stuck in the big bad world or unsure of anything just to ask.

Thank you Peter and his fantastic team for helping me out in becoming a Class 1 lorry driver – all the best for the future
(I have avoided using names when thanking as I didn’t ask if they would mind or not)
P.S I know Peter Smythe doesn’t mind!!!
:smiley: :smiley:

Congrats and nice diary

Well done :smiley: it’s taken me 16 years between my cat C and doing C+E :blush:

Well done mate. I’m chuffed for you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Congratulations!

Well done on the pass, that is a great result

Thank you everyone - for some reason I can’t seem to see the full diary from my phone - it is on the net but I think you might have to view it on the computer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done on completing all your training, good luck and all the best
Cheers Paul

Congratulations on the passes and thanks for the kind comments.

What the OP forgot to mention is that the examiner on the first CE test was really enthusiastic about the standard of the drive and commented “could happily ride with him all day”. And just a simple slip on the reverse cost the test. As said, fault corrected and job done.

Not everyone is going to pass first time and it’s great to see the final outcome.

Congratulations again, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yep that’s true - as I was told by Pete and the examiner in the big bad world I’ll be able to shunt as many times I want and I’ll pick it up with more experience. I hope to be an avid poster on here and will try to answer any questions anyone has. Fully recommend PSTT to anyone coz if I can do it then with zero experience in the trucking world surely anyone can.

Well done, are you going to stick with the Royal Mail and get driving for them? Know afew here that do and it’s a nice number.

peterboroughmatt:
Well done, are you going to stick with the Royal Mail and get driving for them? Know afew here that do and it’s a nice number.

I’m gonna try to put in for a transfer as I know they don’t recruit often but if they don’t want me or ask me to wait for an unreasonable amount of time then I might pack it in - mainly due to the reason that I haven’t trained to carry on doing what I’m doing. It’ll be their loss as I have a good work ethic (not blowing my own trumpet) but I’ll have to see. Time will tell - hope to keep everyone updated. :smiley:

blue estate:
Well done :smiley: it’s taken me 16 years between my cat C and doing C+E :blush:

You beat me then it only took me 1w years to make the leap and do my c+E from my C licence. Oh and 8 years to do my C from my car licence.

Oh and we’ll done to the OP.

abzyyy:

peterboroughmatt:

I’m gonna try to put in for a transfer as I know they don’t recruit often but if they don’t want me or ask me to wait for an unreasonable amount of time then I might pack it in - mainly due to the reason that I haven’t trained to carry on doing what I’m doing. It’ll be their loss as I have a good work ethic (not blowing my own trumpet) but I’ll have to see. Time will tell - hope to keep everyone updated. :smiley:

I did this exact thing (postie to van driver to class 2 driver) and it gave me goid experience. In the end they reduced the Class 2 work and as I was last in I was first out and put in the mail centre but even still those first few months driving class 2 in a relaxed environment really helped