Week till C+E Training , Tips please

I’ve been driving rigids for the last 16 years and on my birthday I though blow it why not do my Artic ,
So my company booked me in 5 weeks ago and I start training next Monday 30th [emoji33]
Any tips from you lot

From someone recently in the same boat as you until I passed my C+E…

Mirrors (which you’ll know anyway)

Length of vehicle so approach roundabouts with caution and look.

Beware of difference in road position but not in obvious places. Like on a rigid with a slight bend to the left you’d have to hang a bit out to the right but on an artic the trailer will follow. But on tighter bends the trailer will cut in.

Watch YouTube vids of couple and uncouple. I found thst I had the principle before I set foot in the truck which gives you more time for other stuff as you only need to practice it a few times.

Above all else listen to your instructor.

Listen to everything the instructor tells you.and take your time .good luck…

Remember your headboard position when turning and take turns as wide as practically possible. Nothing worse than a tight turn and you see the trailer cutting in and knowing it ain’t gonna happen :grimacing:

When you pass your test and start real world driving Blue, get practicing blindside reverses at every opportunity. There are occasions when you will HAVE TO blindside reverse :wink:

Your going with a brilliant bunch your be fine mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know how to drive a rigid. Your just adding a trailer behind. Take your time and you’ll be fine.

Mainly slow it down more than you would in a rigid and take the room you need to make turns although turns in a unit and trailer cam be better than rigids that have the turning circle of a cruise liner.

Pay attention to your test routes and required positioning at junctions for each from day one.

There’s only so many times your instructor can take you on all the possible routes.

Pay attention to the instructor, you’ve got the main bits of how to drive a lorry, your just adding the all important trailer to said lorry. Good luck pal I’m sure you’ll breeze through [emoji1303][emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for tips :smiley:
Rigid been dropped in to dealers for service so that’s hopefully last time I drive it
Roll on Monday morning :smiley:

Which training school will you be using :question:

Good luck with it all.
Nothing to add to the training advice really.
As EB says the headboard can swing out a long way when youre manoeuvering, the cab missing a lamp post doesnt always mean the trailer front will. :blush: And you may not do it on your test, but when "screwin it round" (yeah, ripping up the surface, taking miles off the tyres etc) the rear of the trailer will swing out, and in a really tight turn the trailer can reverse whilst the cab is going forward. Not anything wed plan to do, but in the real world it happens. Itll take a while once youre out in your artic but you`ll “look” at tight spaces differently after a while.

ROG:

2 start in Portsmouth

blue estate:

ROG:

2 start in Portsmouth

Heard they have a good rep :smiley:

ROG:

blue estate:

ROG:

2 start in Portsmouth

Heard they have a good rep :smiley:

and used to be owned by my company , but he sold it off to the manager as that and haulage grew to big for current yard