Not driven C+E in over 10 years. Advice Please

I passed my CAT C and C+E when i was 17 in the Army in 2006. I drove only CAT C from passing my test and the largest i drove was an 18T. I havent driven anything bigger than a car in over 8 years. I am wanting to take up a career as a driver i am now 29 and no longer in the Army.

I plan to do my CPC early January and start applying after then. im looking at going straight into driving artics ideally. im just a bit aprehensive having not driven in so long and the next time i will drive one in over 10 years maybe when i have an assesor sat next to me. I plan to go through all the theory side of things before hand as i can do that from home.

I just wondered has anyone else gone back into HGV driving after a while away from it and how did you find it plus any advice so im as prepared as i can be. Thanks :smiley:

Why not have half a day in an artic with a training school - perhaps the same school that you might be doing your driver cpc with :bulb:

I will look into this thanks for the advice. Il have a look around. Didnt realise you could do things like that once you had passed your test. :smiley:

Richard9645:
I will look into this thanks for the advice. Il have a look around. Didnt realise you could do things like that once you had passed your test. :smiley:

It’s still some one paying to drive the truck learner or not money counts and may help stop you doing something silly

Blag it and go with an agency. You will break sumat but you will get paid your hours while the agency will look like complete ■■■■■ to their client, win-win!

yea thats very true i dont know why i thought you wouldnt be able to. Im having a look around now. Will definately be worth every penny. I would be quite confident but its like you said the something very silly might happen.

Thats another way of doing it thanks supermultiblue :laughing:

not drove one in 6 months it’s a mugs game anywhere you go they all want the hours out of you… I got the same money driving a skip wagon locally and a decent home life

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I will have to see how things go once im rocking and rolling with it. I will always keep my options open. I wont let it take over my life completely as i have a young family. I would have thought there would be a higher hourly wage though for artics.

Richard9645:
I will have to see how things go once im rocking and rolling with it. I will always keep my options open. I wont let it take over my life completely as i have a young family. I would have thought there would be a higher hourly wage though for artics.

Generally that’s the case but not always. There are rigid jobs which pay the same if not more than class one.

The key is though that there’s enough work out there to make it suit you

As said already, go for a sesson or two n a school artic. I dunno what kit the army were using 8 years ago but a newish truck may well be different. Finding out the difference between them is better done before an assessment drive. If you can get a few minutes sat in the cab of different trucks, chances are your assessment drive will be in summat you’ve never driven but time learning to look at the varous types of gear selectors handbrakes etc won’t be wasted. A driving assessor shouldn’t be looking for a fullyformed expert but if you try blagging it then can’t find the gears you won’t get too far.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

yea thats true very good points. I drove Layland Dafs and Bedford 7.5t. The Bedford was that old it didnt have power stearing. The Dafs i remember if you used the air brakes before you warmed them up and you were moving they would instantly lock on and catapult you into the windscreen :smiley: So il look into the new cabs and get to grips with what they are equipped with and layout etc. Got some prices in for a refresher course so il be getting half day done on one of those.

Hi, I am very much in the same position as Richard - ex military hgv driver etc.
Currently looking into driver training in the midlands area (iam based near daventry)
Ive been quoted £100hr for refresher training, is this the standard rate or can anyone recommend something cheaper in this area. Iam looking to get to grips with reversing, backing onto bays etc, trailer swop overs and digi tacograph introduction and some road driving.
Thanks, Shane.

You could ask a decent sized firm to get the driver trainer to take you out, or go out with one of the lads a few days .be cheaper than any trainers Will be .
Most firms have driver trainers .

Hi Shane, I know it won’t be much use to you as I am in Barnsley but just thought it would give you an idea. I am using a local haulage firm who does get involved in the training side of things slightly and they have quoted me £33+VAT per hour. So is probs worth you looking around a bit more!

£33per hour - now that I wouldnt grumble over - will keep looking Richard, thanks.