HGV Class 2 Splitting Lanes

Hi,

How do you know when to split lanes turning right of left in an unknown undriven road by you on your test day and other days?

Thanks.

Erm think i’ts left for left and left for straight over. Or if splitting in to three lanes I would use the middle lane for turning right obviously using the correct indication.
If I’m wrong the the pros will be along.

If you need more than one lane to prevent going over a kerb or the lanes are too narrow to keep within them then take up part of another lane on approach but giving way to those already in the extra lane

Take up just enough of the extra lane that you need but do not leave enough room for a car to squeeze in it next to you

The factors that will inform your decision are: length of your vehicle, width of your lane, width of the road you’re heading into. Many junctions have lanes marked that are barely the width of the truck. So, unless there’s room straight ahead, a lane split will be inevitable.

When driving long vehicles, it’s almost a given that lanes will be split with the exception of many major junctions.

In time, a sixth sense will develop. So don’t worry about it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: