Proper preparation prevents poor performance! mod 4 cpc

So yesterday comes along and it’s mod 4 cpc day. I get down to the training centre and meet up to Find there’s four of us taking part in 1hr of training. So after watching the videos on YouTube all week and Reading the guide to lgv DVSA back to back more times than I can count I’m feeling very confident about the task in hand. The training while short was comprehensive and the time comes for practice on the load demonstration trolley before we head to the test centre.

We started out with ratchet straps then the load restraining device and then on to chain/tensioner training. Only two of us actually had a go at using these devices and the other two when asked to demonstrate declined?? This absolutely baffles me because even though I knew exactly how to use all of the equipment I can’t see what harm a little practice could do. The trainer must of asked about 5-6 times each if they were sure they didn’t want a go and looked as confused as I felt, anyway onwards to the test centre.

We arrive at the test centre and I’m told I’m taking my test last, nice! 90 minutes of thumb twiddling begin. So first up is the guy that took part in all parts of training . He goes out nails it and gets 100% . load restraining bar pretty easy (in his words)
Next up is “I don’t need any training” candidate 2 , comes back in to waiting room doesn’t speak, grabs his belongings and leaves , not even a word. Our trainer comes in and says “he had 100% on all his questions, just he had absolutely no idea how to use the chain and tensioner” the examiner looks at me when I raise my eyebrows and he says “no idea, never seen it before that bad”

Next guy passes 90% he had no load securing questions (maybe a blessing) he’s happy

Then I’m up, I got the sheet steel question I’m confident. As we walk to the trolley to get the chains out I’m amazed by what I see. The tensioner laying there in all its glory with no hooks screwed in to the sides . I’m fairly sure he had tried to tie a knot in a chain, im dumbfounded. Anyways I pass 100% wait for my new digicard and I’m away.!!

Remember the “P”s guys. Proper Preparation Prevents ■■■■ Poor Performance

Congratulations on the result and thanks for the input.

I, too, have experienced similar situations where folks are reluctant to actually practice. Maybe I’m odd but I just don’t let folks get away with it! As a result, a Mod 4 fail is almost unheard of.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.

I can understand sort of though. In as much as you’re there in a group of strangers. Never used this kit before and you feel awkward about it. So some shy away.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:

So some shy away.

My thoughts were either he was already competent and needed no further instructions or he was shy. Thinking more towards the latter though. Bit of a sickener though. £200 is a lot of money

Miketyres:

IronEddie:

So some shy away.

My thoughts were either he was already competent and needed no further instructions or he was shy. Thinking more towards the latter though. Bit of a sickener though. £200 is a lot of money

My other thought was maybe he thought he could get a high enough passing score without demonstrating a load restraint or chancing not getting a question on it.

Either way like you say it’s odd. Given the money, why take the chance.

Its those sort of people, the ones who couldn’t arsed for whatever reason, are the ones who if they ever get their lorry licences will inevitably join the ranks of ‘never be a lorry driver as long as they have a hole in their arse’ and if anyone was minded to follow their progress it will be a text book version of how not to do the job and get on :unamused:

You can spot them a mile off.